what's the scariest movie you've ever watched?

Remove this Banner Ad

Children of the corn :thumbsdown:

Also when I was a Wee tacker X files used to scare the s**t out of me, I think it was mostly that eeery music though haha.

No movies really scare me that much these days, Wolf creek disturbed me a bit, coming from the country and all lol.

When I was a kid the movie that had the biggest affect on me was An American Werewolf in London. I first watched it at a cousins party when I was 8 and didn't watch it again until I was 22. Love the movie now!

Another one is called the Woman in Black, an English ghost story that looks fairly tame at first but then gets positively spooky and downright scary in certain instances.

My third nomination is Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones. Not only does it have an absurdly long title but some people actually paid money not once but up to 5 times to see this tepid entry into cinema's library.

This is truly frightening!!!

Nightmare on elm street.

Amyone who watched this when they were younger knows excatly what I'm talking about.

ha ha Was at cinema as kid in 1983 seeing this I think. Did not want to sleep for about two days.
At the time it was something different in terms of messing with your perception of waking reality and dream world but been done a zillion times since it would not seem anything special now but at the time, scary as all * back then as a kid seeing it for first time.

Never seen Shining at the cinema but seen on Foxtel once about ten years ago. So ******* creepy.

1991 or 92 going to cinema seeing Fire Walk With Me was ******* scary. The mood and music background so haunting. Lynch has not let himself down over two decades later adding to this in part 8 last week. Did not want to sleep with some of imagery of that in my mind that night when going to sleep.

The Strangers and Last House on the Left I thought were pretty scary. Irreversible and The Hills Have Eyes I remember being like genuinely scarred from like two scenes in each of those. I also weirdly remember thinking the effect of the doctor walking in House on Haunted Hill was one of the most terrifying things id ever seen... Old horror movies are hard to watch and be scared by now for us with the improvements of effects but if you watch Poltergiest, Exorcist etc and try to think of it back then it would have been terrifying.

Scary Movies

Hellraiser
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Night of the Living Dead
Come and See
Psycho
Vampyr
Scanners
Videodrome
Henry - Portrait of a Serial Killer
Peeping Tom
The Descent

Not as scary but still fantastic

Eraserhead
Bad Taste
Braindead
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
House of Wax
Deep Red
Suspiria
The Howling
The Fly
Andy Warhol's Blood for Dracula
Surprised to see this film in this thread. It was certainly full on with a loud soundtrack and disturbing imagery but I didn't think it was scary.

As a little kid the Dark Crystal use to freak me out a fair bit.

The original Texas Chainsaw Masacre is pretty messed up and in more recent times The Witch.

When I saw the thread title these films came straight to mind from my childhood:
- The Birds
- Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
- Return to Oz (those freaken heads wtf)
- Cape Fear (the remake)
- Silence of the Lambs (altho I've seen that way too many times to be scary now)

The Strangers and Last House on the Left I thought were pretty scary. Irreversible and The Hills Have Eyes I remember being like genuinely scarred from like two scenes in each of those. I also weirdly remember thinking the effect of the doctor walking in House on Haunted Hill was one of the most terrifying things id ever seen... Old horror movies are hard to watch and be scared by now for us with the improvements of effects but if you watch Poltergiest, Exorcist etc and try to think of it back then it would have been terrifying.

I still walk thru tunnels, and think of Irreversible- and I saw it the one time many years ago now. The fire extinguisher scene made me laugh tho- the other one, well that was just brutal viewing.
I have nfi why but I had to watch the rape scene a second time. Which just enraged me even more because I noticed the bystander the second time around!
. Yeah I'm pretty sure I'll never watch Irreversible again.

Another film that stayed with me in that sense (but not exactly scary) was Once Were Warriors.

The very last scene of the Blair Witch project when they are all in the basement ....gives me shivers 20 years on.

People either hated or loved TBWP- I'm in the latter category, and yes that final scene in that deserted farm house is creepy af.

Ditto re The Strangers. Most scary one I've seen as an adult.

Everyone has that one movie that f**ked them up as a kid. I saw Candyman when I was way too young and it messed me up royally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a kid, It. Scared the absolute s**t out of me for a long time.

Oh yeah that one as well. There's a remake too coming soon:

MV5BMzk1NzI1ODg3M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzM0Mzc4MTI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

Jesus: The new films will feature the more disturbing aspects of the novel that the original TV film wasn't able to touch upon. Some of these include the more extreme acts of violence committed by Pennywise and the bullies as well as the dark sexual undertones present throughout the novel (Eddie Kaspbrak's encounter with the Leper, the relationship between Henry Bowers and Patrick Hockstetter, etc). However it is very unlikely that the infamous child orgy scene from the novel will be included as not only would it earn the film an NC-17 rating, but it would also be severely traumatizing for the child actors to film as well.

I do remember being about 10 and hiring the original scream. The opening Drew Barrymore scene really ****ed with my head for a while.

The original IT, when Georgie is bitten I believe, created a phobia of clowns and I refused to go to any type of circus for a good 10 year..
I also remember the original hostel movie didn't sit that well with me.

I must have only been about 7 or 8 years old when I saw Jaws. Jesus ******* christ did I avoid the water like it was lava for years after that. It's mostly hilarious viewing these days.

Same. When I was little I couldnt watch the scene when Quint got eaten lol. I still cant watch that scene but for other reasons now haha.

Still there are some great scenes in the film.

I must have only been about 7 or 8 years old when I saw Jaws. Jesus ******* christ did I avoid the water like it was lava for years after that. It's mostly hilarious viewing these days.
I felt that way after watching 'Blood Beach' when I was really young. Didn't wanna go anywhere near the sand.

The Exorcist still tops my list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back