What's the Score at St Bedes? Fitzroy v Parkdale

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
We should win this game but we are relying on St Bedes to beat Monash. There is little cahance that Hampton could beat Scotch.

I will be there and so should all the Fitzroy people. Even if we don't make the finals we have had our best year ever as a club.

Go Roys

What time is it? GF wants to go but I have some study to do, so not sure..
Match starts at 2.00 down at Parkdale and I see I should put all those details up when making these posts.

I promise I will do so during the finals

The Won’t-But-Should-Have Match

I have never been at an event, where a resurrection occurred, and the faithful, having witnessed the miracle, did not raise a cheer but it happened after today’s match. Things were flat in the Fitzroy room’s at five o’clock. Now some would say that a sinner like your correspondent would not be in the front row of any miracle or holy man but I beg to differ. I have seen a few miracles this year but I will not see my beloved Roy Boys in A Grade next year. No Matter.

We are on a collision course with the A Grade Premiership. The only variable is time. Some behind the goals would say the Football Gods’ have been cruel to us this year. I do not agree. We lost the first four games of the season, which in an eighteen game season is usually is a mortal sin, not a venial sin, a distinction that only Steve will appreciate. For you non-Catholics, a mortal sin sends you to hell (think C Grade) a venial sin stops you playing finals.

At half time at Parkdale we were down by seven behinds (they were kicking our behinds which is probably what prompted one of the Tramconductors to launch into the history of the laws pertaining to the act of Buggery in Victoria) and a million contested possessions but we were in front in sloppy disposals and handballs that missed their target. Where the faithful were asking was the smoothers and successful tackles the central tenets of the religious cult of Fitzroyitis? There was a resurrection of this spirit after half time.

But back to the start of the day for derrinalphil.

I arrived at half time in the seconds and the combined score was 2 goals 14 behinds. The game in the second half did not improve in quality but the Roy’s Seconds had an exciting win, by two points, in the last minutes of the match, but the final combines scores were 9 goals 30 behinds, which does not include the many ‘out on the full’ attempts, which kept both sides supporters amused in the first half.

We had senior players coming in today: Fenton, Pickers and Hesse . We won the toss and were quickly into gear, but playing in that awful yellow alternative-strip gear, scoring early goals. Dalts kicked a long one, showing the ‘yips’ are gone. Peter Baccanello showed maturity beyond his years by being in a dangerous spot at the right time. I haven’t decided on a nick name for him yet but I must because he is one of our “new brigade’ that I expect to carry us forward next year. He looks a good senior player.

Peter B.jpg

Peter B 30 yards out, dead in front

Corbs did the razzle dazzle which left us behind the goals wondering how well he did on the dance floor at the Red Ball. Greenie finally got the ball in his hands and a rule of the Redders is that when Greenie gets a kick good things happen: this time a goal to Danny.

I used to like that North Melbourne/ Melbourne player Wilson. He won a Brownlow and was a great player to watch. Even when he buggered it up he did it with panache. I saw him once confuse the points for the goals and, under no pressure, calmly tap a ball through for a point. The look on his face was priceless. A Parkdale player did the same on Saturday, taking me back to the early Eighties when the Reds were in F grade and I had hair.

We went in four goals up but everyone at the ground noticed that Parkdale dominated the last few minutes of the first quarter. We did not score in the second quarter, playing the way that we did early in the season, showing why we won’t play finals this year. Our disposals became so inept that Mark, Not from Mentone, actually thought that a disposal from Won’t He Fenton that went to a contest was one of our better ones. Every other Fitzroy disposal seemed to go straight to a Parkdale player!!!!

Parkdale kicked four goals seven behinds, taking it up to one of the better teams in B Grade, but showing why they won’t get relegated and why they are around the bottom of the ladder. They went into half time eight behinds in front.

Parkdale packed their backline in the third quarter and, for quite a while, defended magnificently. They could not get the ball past the centre but I think our coaches were very slow to react to this positional tactic. Leaving three unmanned defenders allowed Parkdale to get the ball deep in defence and chip it around, soaking up valuable time. Finally we manned them all up and scored four late goals to give us a twenty one point buffer at three quarter time.

We murdered them in the last quarter, showing why we should have played finals this year. Lambo (pictured below) went into his higher gear.

Lambo's higher gear.jpg

clip_image004.jpg

Corbs, the dominate forward on the ground, got to every contest, but our ball usage, spread and carry, came out of the ground. It was resurrected.
Aiden to Corbs. Our last goal of the season.jpg

clip_image006.jpg

Aiden to Corbs, our last goal of the year.

Fitzroyitis had been resurrected.

clip_image008.jpg

upload_2016-8-28_11-0-9.png
Will Fenton fearlessly going back with no idea of what is coming

They kicked the last two goals of the match but we held them scoreless for nearly sixty minutes. This is the sort of thing really good teams do.

After the game everyone was waiting on the Monash score which didn’t go our way. It completely deflated everyone at the ground. No matter, we are probably not up to A Grade finals standard at the moment but we have a much better team now than at the start of the season. I will do a review post on the season later but I cannot wait for next year.

Come on the Roys.

PS. What about these photos I’m putting in? It’s getting addictive.

Attachments

• Fenton2.JPG
    Fenton2.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 10
Mobs, you can probably clean this up a bit but I am quite proud of it.

Great piece Phil. Now we know what finishing fourth at the Olympics feels like.

Nonetheless the last quarter and a half was brilliant display by the Roys yesterday. The players will spend the summer months knowing they can play finals next year as opposed to hoping they can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back