What's up down the road (Gold Coast Suns discussion)?

Remove this Banner Ad

They did the fevola type thing - get good now to catch the start up wave of fans and then keep the kids coming to maintain. Just as poor a strategy as fevola.

I thought gws had better draft options too - more high picks over more years - cause the Afl saw the suns struggling.

GWS's draft concessions didn't change after their introduction, regardless of the Suns.

GWS had some increased concessions to counteract what was regarded as the Suns' stronger zone of Qld vs NSW (two years to take uncontracted players; three years of zoned access to NT; bigger list size; minidraft picks to trade). However none of these were really used - GWS only took five uncontracted players, all in their first year. The only extra player they took from NT was Jed Anderson, traded to Hawthorn for a nothing price. GWS ran at least two or more spots below their maximum list size the whole time, until that concession was removed substantially ahead of schedule by the AFL. The mini draft picks were a well-utilized advantage but the net result is basically a wash with GC's zone picks, as intended.

The main advantage GWS had in the introduction, and it wasn't planned this way - it was just that GC was viewed as more ready to go, was that they came second. GC had poached pretty much any player that would leave their club, so everyone of substance around the league was basically locked down coming into GWS's introduction year. As a result GWS focused on the younger kids with some success. GWS was then crapper for longer as a result, so got pick 1 several years running.

Like I said before, suns will get a lot of attention and support and we will miss out to appease the Victorians. Can't put too much support going north blah blah blah
I actually think that it is worse than that. Down the track I can see Gold Coast possibly falling over and / or being merged with us. The Queensland ‘market’ just doesn’t seem to be able to support two teams.

That’s so depressing
Yes but we perform way better when there isn't a media driven perception that we're going to be a chance. I'll gladly take underdog status to square up the clash.

I still don't quite understand why GC got rid of McKenna when they did. They were just coming good and had some cohesion on field. They won 3 games in their first two seasons, 8 in the third and 10 in the fourth. What performance metric did he not meet to get given the boot? I mean yeah he didn't get a team with zero history and minimal player relations to the finals but were they really that disillusioned to believe they'd be a finals contender so soon after inception?

As it stands right now they have only equaled the same number of wins in their inaugural and second seasons. If there are doubts about their chances against the Saints then their only other opportunities to better this win number for the rest of the season will be against us which isn't a certainty, and Carlton. Good luck with that.

Josh Caddy on the footy show saying how difficult player retention is at the Gold Coast and how it’s a holiday destination then going on to say how he made up his mind very early that he wanted to play in front of big crowds down here.
I mean he’s not necessarily lying but it just bothered me that interview.

Josh Caddy on the footy show saying how difficult player retention is at the Gold Coast and how it’s a holiday destination then going on to say how he made up his mind very early that he wanted to play in front of big crowds down here.
I mean he’s not necessarily lying but it just bothered me that interview.
Caddy requested a trade to Essendon after only 1 season on ‘compassionate grounds’. Now it was to play in front of big crowds. A good BS artist needs to have a good memory.

Caddy requested a trade to Essendon after only 1 season on ‘compassionate grounds’. Now it was to play in front of big crowds. A good BS artist needs to have a good memory.

Surely he just felt that people should be compassionate towards his desire to play in front of big crowds. :p

I cannot see gold coast playing finals anytime soon. The lions are ahead of them list-wise, but if we have a few of our talented young guys leave in the next couple of years, we will be back to square one. I really feel the salary cap is a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not as good as Lynch but he's a decent forward prospect and is still very young for a KPP. Same goals per game average as Hipwood

After playing 2nd fiddle to Lynch last year in all 22 games cant get a game this year...Seems Day is preferred.....

Will be an interesting clean out at Seasons end.....Headlines "Dew drops to get Sun rises"

I actually think that it is worse than that. Down the track I can see Gold Coast possibly falling over and / or being merged with us. The Queensland ‘market’ just doesn’t seem to be able to support two teams.

Gee, I wonder where else the AFL could pump untold $miilions???

Ummm, let me think.

I cannot see gold coast playing finals anytime soon. The lions are ahead of them list-wise, but if we have a few of our talented young guys leave in the next couple of years, we will be back to square one. I really feel the salary cap is a joke.

You mean a joke like where EddieFL might offer JB, then at his career height, $1.5m pa, plus the same for "media".

Not that this would ever, ever possibly happen. Because that would be wrong and against the "rules".

Just like Chris Judd's arrangement with Carltank was, retrospectively of course, acknowledged by the AFL as wrong and would never, ever be allowed to happen again. Never, ever. At least until next time anyway

I think they will fold, its not so much an AFL lack of support its just a lack of support for all local sporting teams in general and its simply a lack of understanding by a marketing and those that try to establish clubs there. 3 NRL teams have failed, 1 soccer team, 1 AFL and the list goes on. The gold coast doesn't have a town centre, people who live there don't describe themselves as coming from the GC they come from the beach they live at. There they will be from Tallebudgera or surfers, or the Tweed. A team representing the GC is really representing no one. The coast is simply a village of villages. To get people supporting and turning up to games the team has to represent the community. Take Townsville the Basket Ball is sold out, when the Cowboys play at home it similar they represent the Community. The Suns won't attract the big players because no one wants to play park footy and their good players will leave because they want to play infant of the big crowds. The AFL will have to find a way of keeping a trough of really great players there, draft concessions won't help if they all leave. Extra salary cap, well Eddie McGuire will never stand for that. Yes the Suns have made some really bad decisions and are their own worst enemy but they will never get the crowds and money needed to survive as they have no community support.

You mean a joke like where EddieFL might offer JB, then at his career height, $1.5m pa, plus the same for "media".

Not that this would ever, ever possibly happen. Because that would be wrong and against the "rules".

Just like Chris Judd's arrangement with Carltank was, retrospectively of course, acknowledged by the AFL as wrong and would never, ever be allowed to happen again. Never, ever. At least until next time a Victorian team need, sorry, think it would be nice for them to get a leg up over those interstate scum anyway

Hope you don't mind the added clarification.

I think they will fold, its not so much an AFL lack of support its just a lack of support for all local sporting teams in general and its simply a lack of understanding by a marketing and those that try to establish clubs there. 3 NRL teams have failed, 1 soccer team, 1 AFL and the list goes on. The gold coast doesn't have a town centre, people who live there don't describe themselves as coming from the GC they come from the beach they live at. There they will be from Tallebudgera or surfers, or the Tweed. A team representing the GC is really representing no one. The coast is simply a village of villages. To get people supporting and turning up to games the team has to represent the community. Take Townsville the Basket Ball is sold out, when the Cowboys play at home it similar they represent the Community. The Suns won't attract the big players because no one wants to play park footy and their good players will leave because they want to play infant of the big crowds. The AFL will have to find a way of keeping a trough of really great players there, draft concessions won't help if they all leave. Extra salary cap, well Eddie McGuire will never stand for that. Yes the Suns have made some really bad decisions and are their own worst enemy but they will never get the crowds and money needed to survive as they have no community support.
This is in part true with identification of where you are from. I grew up in the Burleigh region and lived anywhere from Mermaid to Bilinga and anything north of Surfers was a totally foreign land.

The amount of national teams that have tried to succeed and failed is ridiculous especially when you take into account the rugby league teams as this Qld. Smacked of arrogance in part to AFL House that the Suns would be any different. They won't fold, they will be relocated........as either a team in Tas (where they should have been) or as a third team in WA.

The AFL assumed that with success the enough players would stay to prolong that success and setup a club that could stand on it's own two feet.

A big part of this; I think the AFL was hopeful that better experienced footballers would go to the Suns initially but they were all duds apart from Ablett.

This is in part true with identification of where you are from. I grew up in the Burleigh region and lived anywhere from Mermaid to Bilinga and anything north of Surfers was a totally foreign land.

The amount of national teams that have tried to succeed and failed is ridiculous especially when you take into account the rugby league teams as this Qld. Smacked of arrogance in part to AFL House that the Suns would be any different. They won't fold, they will be relocated........as either a team in Tas (where they should have been) or as a third team in WA.
Was listening to AFL Exchange a couple of weeks ago, and Cal Twomey shot down any suggestion of a team in Tas pretty fast and vehemently. Basically it all hinges on $$$, and financially a team is Tas is less viable than a team on the GC.

The tassie sun devils

Gee, I wonder where else the AFL could pump untold $miilions???

Ummm, let me think.
Exactly. I would 100% love the AFL TO DO THE RIGHT THING and wind up Golf Coast and allocate the license to a Tasmanian Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back