True_Roo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2000
Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
With North possibly picking up one more player - Other than the less than good reputation he has on this board, I know little about O'Conner as a player.
What's wrong with him ?

Fat, slow, cant kick, cant chase, not tall enough to play in the ruck, cant play anywhere else, another reject from Essendon's two's flag in 92 and we already have anough of those (Hamilton (ASS COACH), Calthorpe, Olarenshaw and we had damn Brad Plain, over 25, no room for improvement, cant handball, cant find the footy.

Any other reason?

True Roo

There's a topic on the main board titled "Who registered Fat Bastard"

That was Ryan O'Conner!!

But on a more serious note: O'Conner has the bulk, height and maybe even the temperament to play AFL footy, however IMHO he doesn't have the mobility or flexibility to play as a ruckman for the Kangas and looking at our ruck division (presuming that McKernan plays forward) that is what we seem to be sadly lacking.

Not really up to speed on Paul Lindsay - height, weight, pace???

My 2 cents

Gonzo

This is just another response I have given on the same topic:

Well Well Well.
Pags is after another Keenan Reynolds, another Damian Houlihan, another Big Eric or another Nathan Bower.

Good lord where has his common sense gone, although delisting the likes of Cochrane etc, who are perennial underperformers, could be a blessing in disguise.

Ryan O'Connor - god Carey couldnt even lead him to the footy in Canberra when he was playing on him ... how on earth is he going to tell him where to go?

Keep him please, let him go play at Balwyn

And anyone who suggests he is in the same league as Rocca is out of their mind.

Rocca averages over three goals a game throughout his career - O'Connor averages less than two touches.

NB: Time to go for youth, a diamond in the rough, a Mark Porter type ... Give Lindsay a go, although I also know nothing of him Gonzo

You RooBoys maybe pleasantly surprised at just how versatile and, well, downright useful Rhino could be for you.

Sure, he is a fat slow bastard - but he knows how to play and has been around a long time now.

If he is picked up then he could go well, expect to see him play off the bench, filling in gaps in the ruck, across halfback, even in the goalsquare (yes he can kick goals).

Good luck to him I say.

cheers

Dodgy knees
Biggest arse and thighs to play the game since R.Kink
5 inches too short for the ruck
Slow
Crap

Other than that - a good bloke I'm told

Might have to ask the Swans about that one

I was sorry to see him go - but in reality he did not have alot of opportunity at Sydney because we are already well-served by spare parts big blokes.

Stephen Doyle
Ryan Fitzgerald
Adam Goodes
Jason Ball

and even Troy Luff can all play back-up ruck / spare tall type positions so when you look at that part of our list, well, I guess it was bye bye Rhino.

cheers

Rooboy... nice to be missed... how you doing??? haven't been too far away unless you count the 12000 miles(have popped in a few times but the topics have been a bit crappola???)

Pound for pound Calthorpe wins hands downs but in nominal terms Rhino is da man...

That's Rhino, Calthorpe & Ricky... you'll be drafting Mickey, Sommer & Back door Benny next (ie: what is going on>?)

Thanks everyone, I think my question has been answered.

I hope we don't pick up O'Conner in the upcoming draft!
frown.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Accidentally stumbled across this thread which contains some of the most thorough rinsing of a player I've ever seen

What a blast from the past

He always reminded me of that " Biff " character from " Back to the Future "

220px-BiffTannenBackToTheFuture1985.jpg

images.jpeg-11.jpg

Jesus ! He won a Margery for Port ? Well, there you go.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back