What's your best cricket memory?

Remove this Banner Ad

‘87 World Cup, ‘89 Ashes and ‘95 series win in the Caribbean.

Was a big Allan Border fan and his 2x 150s in a Pakistan test and his ‘84 match against the dominant Windies when he scored a century and unbeaten 90+ and copped a hiding of body hits. Windies keeper Jeffrey Dijon called it most courageous performance he’d ever seen. Unfortunately there was no coverage back to Australia of neither WI or Paki tests

Heaps

But its hard to top Gilchrist hundred smashing sixes off Monty into our section at the WACA...we where all standing chanting GILLIE GILLIE...breathtaking stuff

Stinking hot day Australia 5/400 gillie comes to the wicket....the rest is history :)

Random ones I’ll throw into the mix:

- Asif Mujtaba hitting Steve Waugh for 6 off the last ball to tie an ODI in Hobart that Pakistan had no right to

- Cairnsy winning New Zealand an ODI at Brisbane against Australia basically single handedly when the kiwis were gone

- Cairnsy belting Warne and Lee all over the Shaky Isles one test series

- Brian Lara and Robert Samuels going from second heat to 5th in a heartbeat to win an odi at Perth that looked completely done and dusted in 96-97

Amazing Adelaide

Matthew Hayden's 380 (was my favourite player as a kid)

Bit of an odd one but something I'll always remember is Shane Warne being mic'd up during a Big Bash game and telling the commentators exactly how he was going to get McCullum out before he bowled it. Genius

Random ones I’ll throw into the mix:

- Asif Mujtaba hitting Steve Waugh for 6 off the last ball to tie an ODI in Hobart that Pakistan had no right to

- Cairnsy winning New Zealand an ODI at Brisbane against Australia basically single handedly when the kiwis were gone

- Cairnsy belting Warne and Lee all over the Shaky Isles one test series

- Brian Lara and Robert Samuels going from second heat to 5th in a heartbeat to win an odi at Perth that looked completely done and dusted in 96-97
Chris cairns what a player he was. Certainly world class and probably the only man standing in the way of NZ recording some world record defeats in the 90's . Can't believe he turned out to be on the take in domestic tournaments (allegedly)

In terms of a sideshow, the Mitchell Johnson Stuart Broad pantomime a couple of years ago in Adelaide was fantastic, Broad came in, complained about the sightscreen, held the play up and then Johnson castled him first ball. That 7/40 is some of the best fast bowling I've ever seen live.

John Snow being grabbed by the arm by a spectator when he returned to field on the fence after felling Jenner with a bouncer. Then Illingworth taking his players off the field in I think a 1971 Ashes test at the SCG.

Yep. Ian Chappell's first Test as captain after the sacking of Bill Lawry. The ball wasn't really all that short and Jenner took his eye off it. If he'd stood upright, he would have played it off his chest on the back foot.

Watching Jason Gillespie at his peak was an honour. As was watching Simon Jones before he had injury problems. Those two were like a purring Rolls Royce

Steve Waugh getting his hundred on the last ball of the day in Sydney in whatever year that was, plus Mark Taylor's 334*. Listened to both in the car on the way home from work.

Seeing the Gatting ball on TV and just thinking "holy s**t, how did he do that?"

In person, Hayden's 380. Brutal cricket, and was good to be there to see a world record. Got standing ovations at 200, 250, 300, 335, 350, 376 and when dismissed. He and Gilchrist both got a century in a session, in the same session.

Ambrose's 7/1 - had this as my biggest disappointment as well but it was phenomenal bowling.

My first ODI - Aust vs England at the WACA for the America's Cup Challenge on New Year's Day 1987.

Warner's century in a session vs India in 2012.

My one Boxing Day at the MCG, just great to be a part of it.

The first T20 at the WACA, the exhibition match between Victoria and WA. They opened the members up to everyone, and had to lock the gates before the game started. Great fun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gilchrist's 100 in the 3rd test at WACA in 2006. We're spoiled these days for sixes and high strike rates in T20 but this was a test with the rope pretty close to the fence and if the ball wasn't clearing the it fielders standing right on it weren't stopping shots a metre or two either side of them. None of this top edge 6 over the keeper, toe edge 6 down the ground rubbish you see now. Middle of his bat just about had a hole in it.

McGrath's 5/2 spell in the first Ashes test in 2005. Incredible spell of seam bowling. Had the ball dancing.

Mitchell Johnson's 7/40 at Adelaide Oval in 2013. I don't think I've seen as many batsmen in the one side intimidated by one bowler. The stare down of Jimmy Anderson with the big mo was the cream on top.

Langer and Gilchrist's partnership against Pakistan in Hobart in 1999. Langer batted patiently for 127 off nearly 300 balls (slowest Australian century), Gilly came out in his second test and belted 149 at nearly a run a ball.

Andy Bichel ripping through England with 7/20 then coming in at #10 and making 34* to steer us home in the 2003 WC.

Glenn McGrath's 61 vs NZ at the Gabba.

Most of 1989. Given no chance - even by most of our fans - and we slaughtered them. Even the last day of the last test, when we could have declared 2 hours earlier and probably won the match - we just weren't going to give the poms the sniff of a chance or respect.

The win at the MCG this year. I know Smith and Warner were missing and the Australian batting was at a low point, but still didn't really think we would win the series. We've faced weakened Australian teams before and still failed to win the series. Otoh Australia were missing like 7-9 first XI players in the past due to the world series but still were good enough to beat our lot. So I didn't really believe we could get over the line this time, especially after the disappointments in South Africa and England.

But the win at Melbourne was the first time I really started to believe we could win this series now. It was especially so satisfying to see the fast bowling do the bulk of the work after years of mediocrity in the fast bowling department. Pujara's knock in the first innings at Adelaide when India were reeling at 4/40 on the very first day of the tour (could've easily been shot out for under 150 if not for Che) and Bumrah's spell of 6/33 to skittle Australia for 150 on a flat slow wicket at Melbourne was probably the most influential knock and spell bowled in Indian cricket history, and it was done by the two nicest guys in the team.

Last edited:
The win at the MCG this year. I know Smith and Warner were missing and the Australian batting was at a low point, but still didn't really think we would win the series. We've faced weakened Australian teams before and still failed to win the series. Otoh Australia were missing like 7-9 first XI players in the past due to the world series but still were good enough to beat our lot. So I didn't really believe we could get over the line this time, especially after the disappointments in South Africa and England.

But the win at Melbourne was the first time I really started to believe we could win this series now. It was especially so satisfying to see the fast bowling do the bulk of the work work after years of mediocrity in the fast bowling department. Pujara's knock in the first innings at Adelaide when India were reeling at 4/40 on the very first day of the tour (could've easily been shot out for under 150 if not for Che) and Bumrah's spell of 6/33 to skittle Australia for 150 on a flat slow wicket at Melbourne was probably the most influential knock and spell bowled in Indian cricket history, and it was done by the two nicest guys in the team.
You guys were outstanding.You should feel very proud I reckon India just became world class on all surfaces

But the win at Melbourne was the first time I really started to believe we could win this series now. It was especially so satisfying to see the fast bowling do the bulk of the work after years of mediocrity in the fast bowling department. Pujara's knock in the first innings at Adelaide when India were reeling at 4/40 on the very first day of the tour (could've easily been shot out for under 150 if not for Che) and Bumrah's spell of 6/33 to skittle Australia for 150 on a flat slow wicket at Melbourne was probably the most influential knock and spell bowled in Indian cricket history, and it was done by the two nicest guys in the team.

Its a shame really that this series victory will always have an asterisk next to it given the shambles that was Aussie cricket selection and the fact the two guys who legitimately could have made a difference were suspended. I think had those two blokes played, India might still have won but it would have been a far more epic series worthy of a draught breaking moment.

Its a shame really that this series victory will always have an asterisk next to it given the shambles that was Aussie cricket selection and the fact the two guys who legitimately could have made a difference were suspended. I think had those two blokes played, India might still have won but it would have been a far more epic series worthy of a draught breaking moment.
What's this asterisk rubbish? There will always be injuries, suspensions, poor preparations, dodgy pitches,and everything else to blame a loss on.

It was 11 men vs 11 men for four tests, and they won fair and square.

Probably. But I don't think the Indian fans care about that to be honest. I doubt the English fans care about an asterisk to their famous Ashes victory in 2005 since McGrath missed much of the series due to injury. I doubt the Pakistan fans care about the fact that many of the bowlers that formed that intimidating fast bowling West Indian quartet didn't play a part in the series while reminiscing about that famous series draw in the Caribbean in 1988 by Imran Khan's side. Or I doubt many Aussie fans care about that Tendulkar missed much of the series through injury and that rain played spoilsport in denying an Indian victory on the fifth day at Chennai in their historic series win in India in 2004.

Point is you can add an asterisk to any famous achievement in test cricket if you want to add a "what if". At the end of the day, it wasn't the BCCI that pushed for a ban on Smith and Warner, it was entirely Australia's internal matter and the Indian team could play only what's in front of them. Also, let's not forget that India played Australia's first choice attack, an attack that bullied England through intimidatory bodyline fast bowling and was billed as the strongest attack in the world along with South Africa, before the series. Most pundits felt that despite the absence of Smith and Warner, if the Australian attack played anywhere near its best, Australia would win the series pretty comfortably. So if anything, India could atleast feel proud of showing great courage and determination against a world class attack in their home, declaring consecutively in three successive innings.

Sitting at the MCG for the centenary test. Just amazing.

Sitting on the hill at the old TCA ground, can in hand, watching the first Sheffield shield match for Tasmania in Tasmania. Then 2 years later on Tasmania's first Gillette cup one day final win. We were real pissed at the end that day!!

At Bellerive Oval for Tasmania's first Sheffield shield Grandfinal win.

I thought it was great of New Zealand to give a man/pig a go at playing international cricket. Scott styris you look like the backside of a truck but you took that headbutt from Mitchell Johnson like a champ:thumbsu: 23-51-05-images.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back