What's your best cricket memory?

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it was great of New Zealand to give a man/pig a go at playing international cricket. Scott styris you look like the backside of a truck but you took that headbutt from Mitchell Johnson like a champ:thumbsu: View attachment 615133
That was hilarious. Mitch headbutted styris in his first or second odi series from memory. Wtf was he thinking? Styris was wearing a helmet lmfao

The first test against India in Pune 2017 would be up there. Gloriously unexpected. Especially the guy who did the damage.

A few that I don't think have been mentioned:

Hussey's hundred at the MCG in 2005. Against South Africa and he had a 100 run partnership with McGrath.

Golden arm Michael Clarke 3 wickets to win the infamous 2008 SCG test. Regardless of whatever else happened those last overs were classic test match theatre.

Ponting making 100 and 99 against South Africa in 2008. Was probably the last time we saw super Ponting, and it was amazing batting to watch.

Ryan Harris quickly taking the last 2 wickets after hours of agony in South Africa 2014. Pulled off a series win against a team that had been renowned for fighting for ridiculous draws.

Smith taking the piss in India 2017 with 3 hundreds and 500 runs and almost hauling us to an unlikely series win.

A few that I don't think have been mentioned:

Hussey's hundred at the MCG in 2005. Against South Africa and he had a 100 run partnership with McGrath.

Golden arm Michael Clarke 3 wickets to win the infamous 2008 SCG test. Regardless of whatever else happened those last overs were classic test match theatre.

Ponting making 100 and 99 against South Africa in 2008. Was probably the last time we saw super Ponting, and it was amazing batting to watch.

Ryan Harris quickly taking the last 2 wickets after hours of agony in South Africa 2014. Pulled off a series win against a team that had been renowned for fighting for ridiculous draws.

Smith taking the piss in India 2017 with 3 hundreds and 500 runs and almost hauling us to an unlikely series win.

That last one probably gets undersold a bit.

One of his centuries - I think it was Pune - was luck personified but his other two against a side getting on top were outstanding.
Along the same lines, Lara in Sri Lanka in 2002 was the definition of a one man band. 600 runs - 42 per cent of his team’s total. I wish I’d actually watched it

That was a good memory that match.

The Cook delivery was a good memory as well. Probably the best delivery from a quick I've seen.

Couldn't Ryan Harris have had a knee replacement??? He'd still be bowling now!!

Sitting up all night watching Steve Waugh and Greg Blewett batting for an entire day in a test match against South Africa in Johannesburg.

99 World Cup semi final win over South Africa.

Watching Warner smack a century against India at the WACA, hitting sixes over cover after India were rolled for 180 in an amazing day of cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was a good memory that match.

The Cook delivery was a good memory as well. Probably the best delivery from a quick I've seen.

I don’t think it was an average delivery by any means and Harris was a superb bowler but I think it benefits in reputation from being the first he bowled.

Some of the brutes delivered by Johnson at his peak stick out to me - one that nearly decapitated Kallis, on of the best players of pace bowling I’ve seen, sticks out. Some of steyn’s pitch middle and leg, hit the top of off deliveries were nigh on unplayable, there’s a famous one from Waqar to Ponting in the langer Gilchrist innings that was next level as well that sticks out.

I think Harris’ falls into the Warne category of being an excellent deleviery, but more memorable because of the circumstances surrounding it.

Best Cricket moment I've experienced live was when Warner got caught on 99 last summer on a no-ball and then next ball hits his 100. Just the excitement from the Barmy army followed them being shattered and all the Aussies just rising as the English fans just slump back in their seats.

I don’t think it was an average delivery by any means and Harris was a superb bowler but I think it benefits in reputation from being the first he bowled.

Some of the brutes delivered by Johnson at his peak stick out to me - one that nearly decapitated Kallis, on of the best players of pace bowling I’ve seen, sticks out. Some of steyn’s pitch middle and leg, hit the top of off deliveries were nigh on unplayable, there’s a famous one from Waqar to Ponting in the langer Gilchrist innings that was next level as well that sticks out.

I think Harris’ falls into the Warne category of being an excellent deleviery, but more memorable because of the circumstances surrounding it.
Definitely adds to the reputation of the deliveries no doubt. I also think it can be looked at from the perspective that both have landed these absolute jaffas 1st up. No warm up delivery. Just on the spot and perfect.

The movement in, then out, top of off stump, then kept going. Mmmmm mmmm.

What was the Waqar/Ponting delivery? Video?

I remember that over from Akhtar to Ponting at the WACA - couple of balls sizzling past Ponting's chin that were epic. No way he was bowling high 140's that day. Looked wayyyy quicker.

Last edited:
Definitely adds to the reputation of the deliveries no doubt. I also think it can be looked at from the perspective that both have landed these absolute jaffas 1st up. No warm up delivery. Just on the spot and perfect.

The movement in, then out, top of off stump, then kept going. Mmmmm mmmm.

What was the Waqar/Ponting delivery? Video?

I remember that over from Akhtar to Ponting at the WACA - couple of balls sizzling past Ponting's chin that were epic. No way he was bowling high 140's that day. Looked wayyyy quicker.

Can’t find the link atm but if you google Waqar Ricky Ponting Hobart it should come up. Just came back a f***ing mile

Best Cricket moment I've experienced live was when Warner got caught on 99 last summer on a no-ball and then next ball hits his 100. Just the excitement from the Barmy army followed them being shattered and all the Aussies just rising as the English fans just slump back in their seats.

I was shattered too, would've loved to have seen that flog get out on 99 and not see him carry on with his usual over the top celebration when he got a ton.

Can’t find the link atm but if you google Waqar Ricky Ponting Hobart it should come up. Just came back a f***ing mile

Speaking of great bowled dismissals, Kapil Dev produced 2 jaffas to dismiss Border and Jones in the space of 3 deliveries in 1991 at the Gabba.

He wasn't express pace but he was a magician when it came to swing and seam, a class above all the other Indian pace bowlers from that era.

1st day of the Lord's Ashes test 2005. England had been building for a good summer or two, but the ferocity of their bowling on that first morning was remarkable and some of the most intense passages I've seen. Then McGrath strolls out and made their top order look like amateurs with some ridiculously skilled bowling.

In fact, really that entire series as a schoolkid watching on SBS was peak!

In person, have been to some cracking tests at the WACA throughout that late 2000's early 2010's period - there was Gilchrist taking the piss with that insane innings, Sharma's spell to Ponting in India's rare away victory, Gayle's utterly disdainful demolition of the Australian attack, Johnson's 8-for trumped by de Villiers & Smith tons, Johnson on his return tearing England a new one in the false dawn test of 2010.

The 2015 World Cup had some awesome games in it too - that one wicket group stage match at Eden Park was amazing tension, but the semi where Elliot put Steyn into the stands was unbelievable.

Not one I would have expected to remember so vividly too, but the Scorchers-Stars Big Bash rain affected semi-final where Marsh went ballistic on Alex Keath and co. to get close but seemingly not enough only for Faulkner to step up t the plate and deliver one of the greatest chokes imaginable was as great as T20 gets.

1st day of the Lord's Ashes test 2005. England had been building for a good summer or two, but the ferocity of their bowling on that first morning was remarkable and some of the most intense passages I've seen. Then McGrath strolls out and made their top order look like amateurs with some ridiculously skilled bowling.

In fact, really that entire series as a schoolkid watching on SBS was peak!

The 2005 Ashes series is the best I've seen, every test had drama and tension where it could have gone either way and even the drawn tests were exciting.

The SBS coverage was great too with less ads and they had different ex-players like Greg Matthews providing analysis which was a refreshing change.

Plenty i could mention but the ones that stand out are...

- Beating the Windies in 95

- 99 world cup SF

- 2003 World Cup final

I'd probably have the 2003 world cup final as my favourite, Ricky Ponting beast mode and Tendulkar going out in the first over was too good to be true.

Part of me was disappointed that Tendulkar got out early in terms of a spectacle. Same with McCullum in 2015.

Subsided quickly though.

The 2007 Cup Final was actually pretty competitive too, Tharanga and Jayasuriya started to swing it the Lankan's way before Hogg got the breakthrough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back