What's your best cricket memory?

Remove this Banner Ad

Name a bigger wank in the history of sports...I'll wait
My favourite bit was when the Thunder inevitably slowed down after the power play due to more fielders outside the circle, Gilly was claiming the time out halted their momentum haha. What a corporate kiss ass he's turned into!

There's a TO ever over as well. So stupid...

Also really like the golden hats. Not tacky at all

Haven't trawled the entire thread to see if it has been mentioned but the Gilchrist double ton in South Africa when he almost hit the million rand sign on the scoreboard is up there for mine. It was that innings that had me thinking we had found a true all time great.

06/07 ashes for me don’t think we will ever see such a brilliant cricket team again

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Clarke
Martyn/ Symon
Hussey
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
McGrath
Clark

rediculous side can make an arguement that all of those players minus Clark and Symonds are legends of Australian cricket

World Cup 99 Semi final draw.

Stayed up. Was meant to have work the next day. My mates were supposed to go home at half time. Needless to say, we didn't. Partied through the night. I still have, "Lance Kluzner, what kind of shot is that?" tattooed into my memory. The chaos after the run out was insane.

Centenary test, went for 3 days, drank heaps, was involved in 5 blues on one of the days and got to watch some of the best cricket ever.

06/07 ashes for me don’t think we will ever see such a brilliant cricket team again

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Clarke
Martyn/ Symon
Hussey
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
McGrath
Clark

rediculous side can make an arguement that all of those players minus Clark and Symonds are legends of Australian cricket

lets not forget a young mitchell johnson who hadn't made his test debut - 12th man or the whole series.

Recalled this one and not sure if I have recounted it before...

Dec 6th, 1992. Australia v Windies ODI at the WACA.

Towards the end of the somewhat painful, slow Aussie innings some drunken f/wits lovable Aussie larrikins found some sport by filling plastic cups with ice, tomato sauce and mustard and flinging them willy-nilly into the crowd. I discovered this by catching one of them with the back of my head and being covered in s**t. A bit distressing as a young lad but what can you do? Fortunately one of the next salvos of hilarity hit some Kiwi blokes Mrs and said Kiwi bloke was an angry ant of the highest order. Off to the perpetrators he marched, a bit of yelling - where said Kiwiness was determined- thwack, thwack and a larrikin or two had a lie down as their mates scarpered. Cheers all round from the crowd.

Good times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Live at the game

BJ and Moody smacking shield final tons at the WACA
Campbell and Ronchi smashing the Vics in one of the first ever T20's in the country. (Never seen the WACA rock like that ever)
Brett Lee bowling a spell of 155K+ in an ODI at the WACA against India
Gilly smacking his ton at the WACA
Headingley 2019 and the Stokes show

TV

The 2005 Ashes, 1999 Edgbaston WC semi and this years WC final

Haven't trawled the entire thread to see if it has been mentioned but the Gilchrist double ton in South Africa when he almost hit the million rand sign on the scoreboard is up there for mine. It was that innings that had me thinking we had found a true all time great.
Pretty sure his sons parentage was called into question around that time re slats so it was a pretty special innings

It doesn't rate especially as special in objective terms, but the January 22, 1983 ODI fixture against NZ would be mine: https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...atch-benson-&-hedges-world-series-cup-1982-83

You see, that was the first time ol' Larry was able to attend a live international cricket match. Larry comes from a family where the city was (is) viewed with contempt and suspicion. Going to the inner city for the day to watch a sporting event just wasn't done.

We were perched in the old Southern Stand above Bay 13 and the goings on and banter was of huge amusement to my young self. No sixes were hit that day. Cairns made a duck and Hookes only one. Cairns was sent to field on the fence in front of Bay 13 and they all quacked at him. During the innings break, the "Pal Superdogs" were on display. Foolishly - or perhaps deliberately - they set up the obstacle course for the dogs in front of Bay 13. So naturally every 1/2 sausage roll that could be mustered was thrown onto the ground to distract the dogs, with some success leading to the owner going a bit berko.

It was great entertainment. So much so that I barely remember that Australia were pretty easily beaten and Dennis Lillee wasn't even playing.

Actually, have another one. First Ashes series in Australia after the 2005 defeat. If you recall the ticketing system crashed and I think it was the debut of the "Cricket Family" method of getting access to tickets.

Spent hours and hours trying to get through and ended up get tickets for two days at the WACA.

One of those days was when Gilly hit the second fastest 100 of all time. Was sitting roughly at long on at the practice pitch end - he just kept hitting balls over our head.

On the Foxtel mini highlights I'm on screen when he's one shot away from the ton. That was defi Italy the best live cricket experience I've had.

I was at the TCA Ground in Hobart when Viv Richards smacked someone over the top of the Powell-Pascoe-Payne Stand, over the park and down into Davenport Street. Huge hit. Was a McDonalds Cup match from memory.
Was at another of those when Michael Holding was bowling off a short run up for Tasmania, still getting great pace, it was a blistering hot day, about 35°C+ with bushfire smoke and gale force winds smashing the ground so much they had to take off the bails.
I can remember sitting in a wooden stand and a spot fire started outside the ground behind the back carpark and all the sirens going off, top it all off, late in the day all the boys on the hill had a massive stink-on after 20 too many beers. Eventful day 👍

I was at Bellerive for the WSC ODI, Australia v New Zealand when Bruce Reid needed one run off the last over and proceeded to swing and miss every single ball!

I went to me home town yesterday and took a walk around the lake.

Saw the grounds where I scored my first 2 centuries.
The first of them - and it remains a personal great memory that sticks in my head vividly - came against a pretty rubbish team, chasing 120. I took a single off the last ball of the first over, then went to 102 in 38 balls. 8 sixes, 12 fours. It was against a junk attack but * I celebrated hard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back