Sports Whats your best sporting achievements?

Remove this Banner Ad

During my teens I was a state hockey rep on 3 occasions. We won the nationals twice after turning around appalling mid-tournament form.

Through these years I played with and against several players who have since managed Kookaburras caps, some of whom are going to London later this year.

Playing first grade when I got a little older I lined up against a few of the gold medalists from Athens. They were no longer heroes to me at that point but I still count it as a major highlight. One thing that hockey (and cricket for that matter) has over footy is that club players get to line up against the stars while those guys are still in good shape and in state/national squads as a matter of course, rather than only if they get dropped.

One of my junior hockey highlights was when I was in a schools team against the Hotspurs (sort of all-stars, ex-Olympians etc), and had to face a penalty stroke from Ric Charlseworth who was then only a few years retired from the international scene. (He scored)

My team a couple of years ago went through the season undefeated, although I only played half the season as I went away mid-year. The year before that we got ourselves into the position where we had to win our last six or seven games to be even a mathematical chance at the finals. In the final round we had to win to steal fourth place and were playing the team that finished top. We were 3-0 down at half time and came back to win 4-3. Two weeks later we knocked that team out (on penalties) in the prelim and went on to win the flag.

Scored 235 in Bowling when I was 15-16.

Think I scored 7 odd strikes, had 2 open frames though, which stopped it from being a monster score.

Had quite a few sporting achievements.

Won the under 14's Division 1 in soccer. Played with Nikita Rukavystya. Quality player at that age too. I remember the grand final against our rivals. We were down 1-0 early on in the game and (according to the ref) Nikita went on an amazing solo run and equalised with 30 seconds left. He scored the gold goal in extra time.

Gained promotion with my team in the Division 2 a few years ago in my first season. Great moment for the team. My second season saw myself not getting a look in for the first team for the first 8 games, so I was toiling in the reserves. Eventually got back into the first team and stayed there. Somehow, I won the Reserves Best and Fairest in just 8 games! The next season I ended up coming third in the reserves best and fairest, again playing about 8 games. Currently Captaining the side.

Won about 4 Futsal trophies - FreoFan Mundy was apart of those. We have lost about 2 or 3 on penalties too. The best final was again down 1-0 and Mundy scoring a scorcher to equalise with not much longer left. Our other teammate then scored a long range effort that deflected into the top corner. Fantastic stuff.

In my five years at high school, I was 2nd in Cross Country every time. Could never beat the top guy. He ended up captaining the Cross Country school team and I was Vice captain. Came 14th in the State Cross Country Competition - My highest finish. I think my lowest was 20th.

I was captain of the school Athletics team in my final year - won 5 out of the 6 potential Trophies that year.

Won few trophies playing footy too. Mundy used to play with us there aswell. I think we ended up winning three premierships.

Also have best team player award they just bs award but cool looking trophie.
Some not so achievements got a free kick or mark in the backpocket in a game that was so dam windy.I got to close to the man on the mark and the ball went backwards over my head out on the full:eek:.
And in my last game I played on a wing but my man kept pushing to fullforward last thing you want is a 5ft nothing bloke at full back anyway he ended up helping them winning them the game after the siren.I couldnt run anymore I tried to go with him but I was spent.

*cough* played for the German national Women's cricket team*cough*

anyway onto better stuff, my best sport was swimming. i wasnt ever as good as my siblings who were the top nothc of the club(1000 members)
but I did win my share of (gold)medals and certificates :).
Also i did some shooting(airrifle) and when i was 15 or so , I had won a cup for the best divisor(a calculation that rates the closest shot in the middle ) My divisor was 10. Means my shot was 0.1 mm from a perfect shot in the centre.

Sent my U16 basketball team through to the Vic Country Club Championship finals with a shot from behind the half way line with 3 seconds to play and scores tied in the regional final. Went on to win the whole thing a couple of weeks later.

Scored 42 out of my team's total of 46 points in an inter-school high school basketball game.

'Lettered' in basketball as a 9th grader playing senior basketball while on exchange at high school in the U.S.

Won a few premierships in junior football & basketball.

Won the bowling trophy in cricket in under 12s, 13s, 14s, 15s, 16s...missed out in 17s :( Bounced back in my first seasons of mens, then went missing for two seasons, and was back in the black last season :thumbsu: Of course, this is all playing a woeful standard of cricket. Think I might retire and umpire this season.

Also won MVP in year 12 cricket at school. Not sure how, we/I sucked.

Refereed the Brisbane-wide under 20s rugby league grand final a few years back.

Won a D-grade indoor cricket premiership when I was 16 with a bunch of my mates...we only had 6 players in the final and beat a bunch of 30-year olds who took it far too seriously.

I remember being really good at sport in primary school.

Would come first and second in 100m sprints, 200ms, cross country, be the male captain for my faction. I was a good footballer as well, always getting a free Solo and hot dog for best on ground and stuff like that.

We moved house when I was about 8 or 9. The next door neighbour was obsessed with soccer, and by the time I was 11, it was all I played. For a few seasons I was soccer through and through. When I again registered for footy (14?), the head of the district told my dad "Oh, ----? He went really well years ago. We need to even out the comp, so we'll chuck him at the Bombers" (this was that period between Auskick, and club football). Needless to say, I wasn't very tall, didn't have many footy friends, had poor confidence, and could never play as well.

I really enjoyed soccer, I still do, but I always wonder "what if." Now, I'm average height, averagely paced, and far too skinny. If I concentrated on footy, I reckon I'd be at Claremont colts like a few kids I played Auskick/GSFL with.

Then again, I'm sure every single bloke here reckons they could've played AFL "just if..." It's the pains of being into something you're not too good at.

Scored 235 in Bowling when I was 15-16.

Think I scored 7 odd strikes, had 2 open frames though, which stopped it from being a monster score.

I got 246 in my mid-20s (my average was 145) ... started horribly with open frames but finished wih 7 strikes in a row!

got a hattrick in cricket, 2 out bowled and the last caught and bowled. yew. edit: was a diving catch, might i add. :eek:

oh and my team won 3 or so premierships bewteen u14s to u17s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kicked 12 straight in a game in under 13s

Took a hat trick in under 12s as a 9 year old

Comp Batting / bowling averages

Junior club champion

Played Dowling shield

Won bronze at the 2009 Triathlon World Championships

Getting through to the 2nd last round of the State 16's footy try outs - didn't make it unfortunately, lost my motivation for footy after that which was a shame.

3rd bowler for the Junior Warriors cricket team, got to travel to Adelaide and Sydney for a couple of games. Again struggled with motivation and quit cricket as I didn't like training Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and playing Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Preferred having a social life.

Bit of a shame I didn't follow through with either sport, what could have been...

Sent my U16 basketball team through to the Vic Country Club Championship finals with a shot from behind the half way line with 3 seconds to play and scores tied in the regional final. Went on to win the whole thing a couple of weeks later.

Scored 42 out of my team's total of 46 points in an inter-school high school basketball game.

'Lettered' in basketball as a 9th grader playing senior basketball while on exchange at high school in the U.S.

Won a few premierships in junior football & basketball.

You shot from behind halfway with 3 seconds to go? Lol. 3 seconds is actually quite a bit of time in basketball, definitely enough time to pass it to someone closer to the ring??

You shot from behind halfway with 3 seconds to go? Lol. 3 seconds is actually quite a bit of time in basketball, definitely enough time to pass it to someone closer to the ring??

3 seconds is a long time, but the defence had dropped back behind halfway - our team had no timeouts and the other team had tied it up with 8 seconds to play. I took the inbounds pass and dribbled up to just before halfway. My defender had dropped back to just behind half court and the rest had retreated behind him. Rather than throw a dicey pass and expecting overtime, I took the option to shoot the final shot and it was all net.

Yes, I remember it as clear as day - one of those 'time slows down' moments on a court. I knew it was in from the time it left my hand :)

-state champion in 4 x 100m relay for U13 boys
-Various tennis competition awards, made it to the highest junior grade in my region when I was 15 but lost motivation a year or 2 after that.
-Made the a granny in the first year of playing footy in U16's.

Competed at state level for triple and high jump. A different year broke the year 8 high jump record for the school. A grand final win for footy, with a best and fairest in footy as well. A few basketball grand final wins, and MVP awards. Nothing too amazing.

One that comes to mind was kicking 5 goals from FF in the first half of my first ever game of footy (in the U9's or 10's or so). We ended up winning the game 8 goals to 3 or something like that and despite me kicking most of the goals for either team in the first half, I was then put on the bench for all of the 3rd quarter for no apparent reason and then put back on at CHF for the last quarter.

Never kicked that many goals in a game again after that!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back