Strategy What's your crazy coaching move v Freo?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been interesting this year, the more teams focus on him, the more the other mids are freed up on the outside. Watch our game against North - instead of dragging 2-3 players with him then kicking for a clearance like in previous games, he was drawing 2-3 then handballing to a receiver. Accounts for his higher disposal count.
Also important to note that Freo are currently playing an 'uncontested' game at the minute with high UC possessions, low contested possessions and high disposal efficiency. This means it's the outside that is really killing it for Freo. Despite Fyfe being a huge part of their success, it's what others seem to be doing around him (getting space and time) which is why they are winning.

I think the player we put a hard tag on is mundy. If vb wants a guernsey next week he needs to completely shut him down. CEY is the man for fyfe. Vb wont make fyfe accountable. CEY is a good tackler and can kick goals as well as being strong overhead. Id play betts as a midfielder just to give us some skill and pace in the guts.

Also important to note that Freo are currently playing an 'uncontested' game at the minute with high UC possessions, low contested possessions and high disposal efficiency. This means it's the outside that is really killing it for Freo. Despite Fyfe being a huge part of their success, it's what others seem to be doing around him (getting space and time) which is why they are winning.

That's right. During the pre-season they ran game simulations from very early on, and Lyon was a nazi on positioning, disposal and movement. It's interesting watching a pre, and wondering what it all means - then seeing it executed during season.

Thanks for the laugh guys. Great thread.

I genuinely think it will be a tighter game than some make out though. Freo have been good obviously, but a number of times it's been shown we're as vulnerable as anybody. Port, Sydney and Bulldogs all had very strong periods during the game where only an absolute top flight effort got us over the line. As the cliche goes, we come in less than 100% and I reckon the Crows, on their home deck especially, will easily come away with the win.

Be interesting becaue generally teams that have done better against us in the past tend to press fruther back and use the space to control the ball and attack. We've generally adjusted well to that, but I'm not sure if we can switch it back and play a high pressing team like Adelaide. So yeah, maybe the crazy caoching move is to just create as much pressure as you can and see what happens. Then there's Betts who's easily the best small fwd of the season so far, and he's the exact sort that we've struggled to hold in the past. He could be a game breaker himself.

Anyway, if that doesn't work, there's always the 17 man ring idea - that's gold. :thumbsu:

Maybe he can do a job on him like he did on Pendlebury in 2013.

In all honesty, I don't think it's going to matter who we put on Fyfe. He's looking unstoppable this year.

Fair call, yes he looks awesome. But a decent tagger will be able to nullify any player if they're playing their role. VB has an awesome tank, and maybe, just maybe, has enough games under his belt now, 1/3 of a season since a year off (which is massive), that he will relish the challenge of blanketing Fyfe. I still think it's worth halving his possessions at the expense of VB's game, which thus far has been ordinary (and he deserves some decent time to regain form and confidence). My 2c anyway.

I think the player we put a hard tag on is mundy. If vb wants a guernsey next week he needs to completely shut him down. CEY is the man for fyfe. Vb wont make fyfe accountable. CEY is a good tackler and can kick goals as well as being strong overhead. Id play betts as a midfielder just to give us some skill and pace in the guts.

No. You don't put a 20 goal in 4 game best small forward in the AFL, 2nd in the Coleman, in the midfield unless things are desperate. Last resort IMO.

Last edited:
Fair call, yes he looks awesome. But a decent tagger will be able to nullify any player if they're playing their role. VB has an awesome tank, and maybe, just maybe, has enough games under his belt now, 1/3 of a season since a year off (which is massive), that he will relish the challenge of blanketing Fyfe. I still think it's worth halving his possessions at the expense of VB's game, which thus far has been ordinary (and he deserves some decent time to regain form and confidence). My 2c anyway.

I think this is probably what will actually happen Saturday night (the VB going to Fyfe part anyway, not confident of the nullifying part happening). I was thinking maybe to put CEY on him. He'll probably struggle, but he's a bigger body, has a bit of toe, and is quite a good contested player. Plus, Fyfe is exactly the kind of player CEY should be modeling his game after, so it could be a good learning experience for him.

That, or as GROTTO has suggested above, and line Dangerfield up against him, though not in a tagging role. Danger is capable of splitting a game open like Fyfe, so it might make Fyfe more accountable and mindful of his opponent.

Had similar thoughts re CEY to Fyfe.

Don't think we have the firepower up forward to take Betts out of the forward line though. With their defence, we need the man who can make something out of nothing roaming the forward 50.

I think this is probably what will actually happen Saturday night (the VB going to Fyfe part anyway, not confident of the nullifying part happening). I was thinking maybe to put CEY on him. He'll probably struggle, but he's a bigger body, has a bit of toe, and is quite a good contested player. Plus, Fyfe is exactly the kind of player CEY should be modeling his game after, so it could be a good learning experience for him.

That, or as GROTTO has suggested above, and line Dangerfield up against him, though not in a tagging role. Danger is capable of splitting a game open like Fyfe, so it might make Fyfe more accountable and mindful of his opponent.

Yep, all of that makes absolute sense too.

Had similar thoughts re CEY to Fyfe.

Don't think we have the firepower up forward to take Betts out of the forward line though. With their defence, we need the man who can make something out of nothing roaming the forward 50.
Hed be good for 5 minutes each quarter just to change the dimension of our midfield his ability to hit a target under pressure is exactly what we need inside 50. CEY is the one. I think il just turn off the tv if vb goes to fyfe.

If VB goes to Fyfe and keeps him to under 20 possessions/1 goal without giving away any himself or getting any of our players injured then he can stay in the team for the week after, otherwise Riley Knight come on down!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about tagging the best player in the game so he doesn't get 40 possessions. Call me crazy but.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back