Preview What's your expectation for 2018?

Your expectation

• 1-4

• 5-8

• 9-14

• 15-18

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gene Simmons

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 29, 2007
Melbourne Rock City
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I cannot recall heading into a season where supporters expectations are so mixed and will probably change week to week.

Taking into account our strong 2nd half of last season, inclusion of key senior players, natural progression of youth, injection of JOM and no reason why Top 4 isn't a realistic shot?

Some may say that we are "rebuilding" but we still have one of the most experienced & oldest lists in the comp, handful of multiple premiership players... heading into 2008 we only had 1 player on the list (Dew) who had actually played in a GF and barely a player over 30+

Both recent premiers (especially Bulldogs) shows that there is no logic when it comes to predicting a premiership contender, so in saying that what are your "realistic" expectations for 2018?

All things being equal, ie no drastic injuries..etc what is your pass mark?

madhawksfan

Premiership Player
May 12, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We should play finals if we remain relatively healthy.

Jaeger, Mitchell and Howe is a good centre square combo with guys like Shiels, Impey, Rioli, Roughie and some of the younger guys pinch hitting.

Forward line with Rough and Gunner supported by the smalls should kick scores and our defence looks well balanced with Chip and Stratton back to complement Sicily, Burton and Dimma.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
upload_2018-2-22_10-39-30.png

Barring injuries I am hoping we will make the bottom half of the 8. This is based on our performances at the latter half of last year. I am very much willing to be pleasantly surprised. Should we improve on our ladder position from last year it should be an enjoyable ride I would hope.

I think our young defenders could have benefited from another year under Hodge's wing but it is what it is. I think as long as there's improvement on last year, no 80+ losses, no losses to gold coast, I'll be happy.

My main expectation for the year is Kennett to say or do something dumb and embarrass us or start some ridiculous streak again

atlas1

Cancelled
Harry Potter Fan A Star Wars Fan
Nov 6, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To play consistent footy across the season and continue the development of the younger brigade - getting 22 more games into blokes like Burto, Sicily, Hardwick, Howe.
Gunston, Breust, Shiels, Smith, Stratton become the leaders and transition from Roughy, Birch, Silk.
Getting Jaeger on the park week in week out.
Build a squad that can contend in a year or two.
Making finals is a bonus.

LRobbo

All Australian
Jan 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Reckon the first month of the year will make or break the season.
We should beat Collingwood.
Geelong, Richmond & Melbourne all genuine 50/50s.

If we can be 2-2 at worst I’ll be pretty confident of a top 8 finish.

Gotta get the season off on the right foot by giving an already average & now under manned Collingwood a hiding.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Winning a final/ finals = Bonus
Making the 8 = Pass
Missing finals = Fail

I'm also expecting the 6th-10th range but I will likely vote 5th-8th on this poll, how we negate the first 4 rounds will have a big influence and how we go IMO.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Reckon the first month of the year will make or break the season.
We should beat Collingwood.
Geelong, Richmond & Melbourne all genuine 50/50s.

If we can be 2-2 at worst I’ll be pretty confident of a top 8 finish.

Gotta get the season off on the right foot by giving an already average & now under manned Collingwood a hiding.

Agree with everything you said bar I think we are a sizable underdog in that game, we will have a troublesome time dealing with Danger, Ablett, Selwood & Duncan.

I expect to see a revival of spirit in many of the older senior players who seemed to be going through the motions at times the last couple seasons. And for the younger brigade I expect to see continuous development carrying on from the back half of last year.

I think with a bit of luck with injuries and a good start to the season (for a change) we can set ourselves up for a top 4 spot. Outside of that 5-8th should be the minimum. In my eyes there's still no stand out side in the comp. There's a few better than others but no one as dominant as the stronger Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong sides of the past decade.

With Bulldogs and Richmond winning flags in the last 2 seasons it's clear that since we dropped off after 2015 that there hasn't been a truly powerful successor. So why not reclaim the title with a fresh looking list?

Birdofprey

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Iowa Hawkeyes
Taking into account our strong 2nd half of last season, inclusion of key senior players, natural progression of youth, injection of JOM and no reason why Top 4 isn't a realistic shot?

Some may say that we are "rebuilding" but we still have one of the most experienced & oldest lists in the comp, handful of multiple premiership players... heading into 2008 we only had 1 player on the list (Dew) who had actually played in a GF and barely a player over 30+

That is the biggest unknown for mine… how much we can expect from senior players, particularly returning from injury? Can that magical forward group (Gunston/Breust/Rioli/Roughead) get a little mojo back? The answer to those questions will determine whether we can fight for a top 4 spot in 2018, or whether 2018 is another year of development for an emerging new core at the Hawthorn Football Club.

In any event, I am optimistic that we can improve on our ladder position and I think we will make the 8.

Nothing motivates me more then when someone tells me I can't achieve something.

I remember being 14 and at the open state trials for the QLD tennis schools team, and in my first match I was drawn against the #1 under 18 year old in the state. My coach told me to enjoy it and learn what you can but don't expect to beat this guy. Shot for shot I couldn't go with this guy, but quickly worked out his one weakness and through pure determination exploited that at every opportunity and won the set easily (only played 1 set matches in the trials). I had never been more determined (and disciplined) in my life to do something, just because I was told I couldn't do it.

The entire media, industry experts & bigfooty members have completely written us off and are telling us we can't win. Maybe we can't go with the super mids that GWS, Geelong, Adelaide & Sydney have week in week out. But they all have weaknesses, and with the right discipline and determination we can beat any of them on our day. And then there is our team's culture. When everyone was talking up Freo's defense in 2013, Jordan Lewis came out and said we are just as good defensively as them and we'll prove it - and they did. I bet you there is a lot of self belief among our group and they are itching to prove they are as good as anyone, and we'll give it a real shake this year.

Prediction - Premiers.

FisherHawk

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2007
Snooza
AFL Club
Hawthorn
6-8. I'm optimistic but realistic too. We have a bunch of our best returning and some great youth who have already shown a glimpse of what they can do. Looking over the best 22 thread shows now we have some depth in case of injuries.

Bump and laugh at the main board threads in 7 months time when the Hawks play finals. I got on at $2.25 to make the 8 and I don't like wasting my money. Bit like the $3.20 in the 08 GF.

LRobbo

All Australian
Jan 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agree with everything you said bar I think we are a sizable underdog in that game, we will have a troublesome time dealing with Danger, Ablett, Selwood & Duncan.

We seem to have trouble with the all of the above players you mentioned but yet apart from Easter Monday last year, we should have won late last year and we should of definitely won the final the year before.
With Mackie & Lonergan retired and Henderson highly unlikely to play early on, I fully expect to take it right up to Geelong

We will have a pretty good idea by about Round 6 or so of where the club is really at. If they can go 3-3 or 4 and 2 than they’ve exceeded expectations. I think they will play finals and finish around 6th-8th with Clarkson finally getting coach of the year award.

Key factors

- Gunston as a permanent forward
- Burton to be used both forward and back throughout the year
- O’Meara, Lovell, O’Rourke all return from injury boosting the midfield stocks
- Sicily, Burton, Howe, Brand, O’Brien and Hardwick will all improve on last years output
- Frawley, Birchall and Stratton strengthen the defense immediately

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A few things have to go right but we should be aiming for a flag. We have a very mature best 22 and a few players entering their prime who account for most of our elite talent (omeara, Mitchell, Burton, Sicily). It’s not a now or never situation but possibly it will get harder before it gets easier to win a flag with this list as the old guard get too old and other teams get their s**t together (past two years the standard fell).

Back