Preview What's your expectation for 2018?

Your expectation

• 1-4

• 5-8

• 9-14

• 15-18

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expecting that our midfield gels through out the season and with it some beltings given to teams like norf, suns, carl & lions.
Burton to play more midfield and Glass to hold his spot in the backline when he comes into the side.
JOR to stay injury free and be given ample opportunity to get continuity into his game.
Howe to be top 5 in our B&F
Burger to make me smile many, many times with his wonderful brilliance.
Wins over geelol & swines
I expect the young players to greatly improve and put serious pressure on the older ones to remain in the side.

Man, if we beat both the Cats and the $yds twice... grin time. Big footy headfcuk melts time. Pinch myself to check not dreaming type of stuff.

Comparing our older stars now to themselves three years ago is not accurate. Especially Birchall, Rioli, Roughie...and no Lake/Hill. If we did wind the clock back it would be amazing. Sadly I fear our olds will continue to struggle to get on the park, and we'll also see our lack of key position depth. The changing of the guard will likely not see us top four next year either, but after that we'll be up there with a vengeance - just in time to see the aging Cats implode after missing two more flags.

I think on the plus side that we'll sound a huge warning note to the comp as we lay the foundations of our next five years of finals. I don't see more than one of Glass/Cousins/Lovell/Hanrahan/Worpel/JOR becoming best 22 this season, but I do see them getting half to a dozen games each as they continue to develop strongly. Would look great if one or two have made the 22 by years end, as currently our 22 is pretty good when fit, and this year I expect us to unfurl a midfield and backline by season's end that are clearly heading flagward.

I see this year the truly ominous display for other clubs as the brutal star factor of Burton, Hardwick, O'Meara, and Sicily going up a level to be consistent A grade players for a secind year. Much offended will be experienced on big footy as people realise that we've rebuilt and we're heading back to finals for a long haul.

Last edited:

There are some special talents there, such as Burton and Sicily, but a lot of unproven guys like Lovell, JOR, Cousins. These guys might excite us as fans of Hawthorn, but not the greater AFL community, fair enough. They aren't up there with Clayton Oliver, Josh Kelly, etc

Maybe 2018 will show us more.

Not focusing on individual players from other teams, more focus on where the Hawks are at with our kids when compared to other clubs.

I'd say we have more talented youngsters than Geelong, West Coast, Collingwood, Richmond at the very least. The argument could be made that we're in good stead outside of that as well. Even GWS at the moment, their only truly young player who is top talent is Kelly - the rest are unproven.

Its not nearly as much fun now Kilkenny is no longer listed

And I dont mean the stupid yank comic either

2068-l.jpg

Seriously though, In defence and attack we have a myriad of options from gorillas, fast talls, lockdown smalls rebounding smalls quick hard flankers and most are versatile in being able to take up a few different roles. theres also experienced guys, those in their prime and up and comers.

Also options to pinch hit in the middle taken from above

Its the full time midfield which needs work. Although that is obviously already progressing.
Once that picks up, the fact the ends of the ground are ready to go now means our return to the top wont take long at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm bullish about this year and while it does have a 2007 feeling about it, the difference is that this time around we have a coach that has been there and done this all before. Need everything to go right but I think if they do, we may just sneak into the top 4.

Never been so happy to bump a post. :)

Real season has just begun but what an opportunity for this group!

I think top four. However, now that there is no advantage to finishing top four I can see us finishing five to eight and still winning the 'silverware' from there. I am always over optimistic though.

Another one happy to bump their post. Turns out I wasn't over optimistic after all :p

Barring injuries I am hoping we will make the bottom half of the 8. This is based on our performances at the latter half of last year. I am very much willing to be pleasantly surprised. Should we improve on our ladder position from last year it should be an enjoyable ride I would hope.

Bloody pessimist!

Not putting a ceiling on what the club can achieve this year.

Doggies and Tigers both showed how much previous years form and favoritism with the punters and media means currently.

Clarko has done it four times already no reason he can't get a fifth with this list right now
Well stage one is complete with top four, now onto the flag part

Winning a final/ finals = Bonus
Making the 8 = Pass
Missing finals = Fail

I'm also expecting the 6th-10th range but I will likely vote 5th-8th on this poll, how we negate the first 4 rounds will have a big influence and how we go IMO.

Still think going 3-1 with our tough first month held us in good stead.

Back