What's your favorite Anzac Day Game

Remove this Banner Ad

May 29, 2016
Tasmania
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Hey everyone, I am just wondering what's your favorite Anzac day clash and why. I'll start off by listing my top 3

1. Collingwood 12.11 83 def Essendon 8.12 60 2014
2. Essendon 11.11 77 def by Collingwood 16.11 2011
3. Collingwood 9.12 66 def Essendon 4.9 33 2002

Honourable mentions
Collingwood 23.16 154 def Essendon 12.9 81 2008
Collingwood 11.14 80 def Essendon 11.13 79 2012
Collingwood 15.16 106 def Essendon 12.17 89 2006

1. 2014 - superb comeback, every goal was memorable. Huge win for the club.
2. 2018 - in combination with the win against Adelaide the week before, this gave me belief that we could contend. We completely dominated them all over the ground.
3. 2008 - my first ANZAC Day game, and Medhurst was my favourite player and rightly so he won the medal for 6 goals and we thrashed them

Honourable mention to 2019. Frustrating game that we should have had wrapped up at half time, but the year long sooking about the umpires following the final siren made it very very sweet, particularly since reviewing the game reveals that Essendon were actually the side who benefited more from dodgy umpiring calls on the day.

Great thread. 2002 for me, loved that team. McGough winning the medal and Essendon kicking just 4 goals. Didn’t care about the rain, and boy did we celebrate the victory!

I have been to them all but when mentioned I always think 1995. Unsatisfying result in most ways but what an epic game. Sav at his imposing best.

Instead of playing one of the classic games mentioned in this thread, channel 7 are screening the Shawshank Redemption.
This is what they think of us.
get busy living or get busy dying

I have been to them all but when mentioned I always think 1995. Unsatisfying result in most ways but what an epic game. Sav at his imposing best.
The 1995 ”original” game is so clearly the best game in my view.

Set the whole thing up. If it was a blow out and not the draw, this big game might have vanished into the ether.

Cracking game too.

Stands alone for me.

Also I think still the 2nd highest ever home and away crowd with 94k plus in attendance.

As I recall Ch 7 replayed it again the same evening because it was such a fine game and all dramatic.

The 1995 ”original” game is so clearly the best game in my view.

Set the whole thing up. If it was a blow out and not the draw, this big game might have vanished into the ether.

Cracking game too.

Stands alone for me.

Also I think still the 2nd highest ever home and away crowd with 94k plus in attendance.

As I recall Ch 7 replayed it again the same evening because it was such a fine game and all dramatic.

That 1st game wow played golf that morning and got back to see it and was blown away.
Any one that went there I tip my hat to you.
Possibly the best game of football I have ever seen.
~Lest we Forget~

That 1st game wow played golf that morning and got back to see it and was blown away.
Any one that went there I tip my hat to you.
Possibly the best game of football I have ever seen.
~Lest we Forget~
I so clearly remember being there thinking during the game, this is such a fantastic game.
Great memory.

I’ve been to them all except for 2000, and I wasn't in the country most of that year. It’s going to feel weird not being at the G tomorrow.

Want to give some love to 1996. The pies came from behind at 3/4 time to win by 12. Rocca backed up his awesome display in 1995 to kick another 6. The fact that 87k showed up meant that the year before wasn’t a fluke and that this particular fixture was going to be permanent.

But my top 3:

2002 - hard to overstate just how important this win was after a decade a being poor. Not just knocking off the team the had won 3 straight minor premierships and who we hadn’t beaten for years but holding them to 4 goals was huge.

2014 - Coming from nearly 40 points down to win as Swannie goes beseek.

1995 - Just an incredible match the whole way through. My memory is that unlike most draws where people feel a bit empty, at the end of this one everyone came out still buzzing. There was a standing ovation by both sets of supporters, and you dont see that too often.

Honourable mention to 2012 and Blairy’s toe poke winner, as well as 2019 and the world’s biggest sook fest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1995 - Just an incredible match the whole way through. My memory is that unlike most draws where people feel a bit empty, at the end of this one everyone came out still buzzing. There was a standing ovation by both sets of supporters, and you dont see that too often.

I'll never forget that. at the final siren, both sets of supporters just stood up and clapped. It was as if we knew we'd seen the start of something special.

I cant go past 1995. But 2014 comes bloody close!

Too many to name, but I'll reduce it to my top 3.

2002 = Changing of the guard. I always believe this was the start of us becoming a strong club again and the beginning of the end of Essendon of being a powerhouse club. Winning in the rain was superb.

2014 = 37 points down early in the second quarter, and somehow we're level with them at half time. Unbelievable turnaround and a thoroughly enjoyable game. Swanny was in decline in 2014, but he produced a masterpiece that day just as he did in ANZAC Day 2012.

2018 = Dominant display, and the first real sign along with the Adelaide win the week before that we were coming out of our 4-year rut of no finals and perpetual mediocrity. Excellent win!

Special mentions to:

2007 = Underdogs leading into this game, and we come away with the win. Kicked 12 goals, 23 behinds that day but a really satisfying win personally. I remember Essendon fans at school being very confident of a win before the match, but school the next day (on Thursday) was fantastic :D.

2012 = BLAIRY!

2008 = Medhurst dominating with 6 goals. Easy to forget Cloke also kicked 5 that day.

Honourable mention to 2019. Frustrating game that we should have had wrapped up at half time, but the year long sooking about the umpires following the final siren made it very very sweet, particularly since reviewing the game reveals that Essendon were actually the side who benefited more from dodgy umpiring calls on the day.
The mass triggering from Essendon supporters was hilarious. You're right to point out they received some very dubious decisions in their favour that led to direct goals.

We should have buried them by half time, but we were poor in the second half and gave them a chance to beat us.

Last edited:
The mass triggering from Essendon supporters was hilarious. You're right to point out they received some very dubious decisions in their favour that led to direct goals.

We should have buried them by half time, but we were poor in the second half and gave them a chance to beat us.
I've provided many Essendon supporters with the opportunity to make myself and all the other Collingwood supporters look foolish by asking them to provide examples to show that Essendon were robbed, none have ever gotten back to me. Surely with making such a vicious claim, they can provide some form of evidence to back up their opinion?

Here are some facts: Essendon kicked 3 goals as a result of dodgy umpiring decisions. Collingwood kicked 0 as a result of dodgy umpiring decisions.
> Quarter 2 - Brodie Grundy tackles Guelfi and they fall forward, Grundy lands on his knees in order to prevent any form of contact with Guelfi's back. No contact is made. Free kick is still paid and Guelfi kicks an easy set shot goal.

And both of Essendon's last quarter goals were dubious.
> Tom Langdon and Mark Baguley engaged in a fair marking contest with some niggling and arguably some holding from both sides, but nothing enough to warrant a free. Langdon is penalised for being the bigger man. Baguley kicks a goal from 20m out as a result.

> Joe Daniher kicks a big goal from 45 out straight after De Goey's clutch goal, but if you watch it again, he receives the ball from a blatant McDonald-Tipungwuti throw. Tippa throws it over his shoulder to Joe who goals.

And there's also the third quarter decision not to pay Dayne Beams a perfectly legitimate mark 30m out from goal, umpire calls play on because he believes an Essendon defender had first hands to it (he didn't), Dayne is forced to rush and kick it wide of the goal.

But apparently because some holding the ball calls were missed on the Bombers' back flank, that's the reason they lost the game.

My Favorite Moment of Buckley as a Coach

Grubs. I wanted Essendon to be stripped of the game due to the disrespect shown by their fans. Unfortunately it turns out that neither club will runout onto the G today. If the H&A season extends into November I'd love to see Collingwood and Essendon play on Remembrance Day.

Does anyone know what game is being played today?
From 1:00pm FOXTEL have 2009, 1995, 2012, 2001.
The AFL app has 2009 and 2012.

2009 and that goal really has to be the most overrated ANZAC day footy win and moment. Essendon were simply fortunate that the siren sounded when it did. All day I sensed it was the sort of match where either team would be unlucky not to get the four points as sides traded goals throughout and neither side controlled the game for more than 10-15 minutes at a time. During what would prove to be our final dominant patch between the 11th minute and 24th minute marks of the last quarter we kicked 2 goals 5 behinds. Essendon controlled the remaining five minutes and kicked 3 goals 1 behind.

Conversely 2012 in what was also a single digit margin we lead all day.

Disappointing that no one is showing 2002, which is my favourite ANZAC day match. Wet weather, sitting behind the old Ponsford scoreboard getting soaked with family who support Essendon. With the scoreboard blocking our views upwards the helicopter seemingly came from nowhere to deliver the footy.

The good news is that 2019 is being shown tomorrow arvo on seven. Here's what to look out for:

• Commentator's call of a throw, not shown
  • Thomas' handball
  • Moore, no prior opportunity attempts to kick, no free learn the rules Bruce
  • Hoskin-Elliott's handball, McKenna didn't play to the whistle.
  • Crisp handball, Zaharakis sooks to the umpire. With Thomas and Moore the umps have consistently allowed late disposals all game.
  • Stephenson's (attempt) to kick on the ground, no BT it isn't incorrect disposal as there was no prior opportunity, he only has to try and kick the footy
  • Brown very clearly in his back

• So, out of the 6 things this Essendon muppet was sooking over all can be justified. If Essendon muppets are still too stupid, here's the umpire explaining it:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back