What's your preferred grand final matchup?

Preferred GF matchup?

• Collingwood vs Brisbane

Votes: 59 16.0%
  • Collingwood vs Carlton

Votes: 84 22.8%
  • Brisbane vs GWS

Votes: 187 50.7%
  • Carlton vs GWS

Votes: 39 10.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I would want to go, it's a grand final. If it's Brisbane vs GWS I'm basically guaranteed a ticket. Plus I genuinely believe it'd be the best game. Aside from Brisbane and GWS, every other side in the finals has looked bog average. They're just not in form. Melbourne were putrid and simply couldn't score, and both Carlton and Collingwood really struggled to beat them.

I understand they can turn it around and hit form in the prelim, but I'd prefer the two hot sides. It just appears to be form - obviously both Carlton and Collingwood were flying at different stages this year.
Really interesting couple of games.

Everyone writing GWS and Blues off it seems.

Nice to be in it for a change :)

That comment is ignoring the different reasons for people's interest though.

Unfortunately, like last year there would be a resounding feeling of 'I don't want either of these teams to win', despite the atmosphere and occasion which would admittedly be epic.

If either of the Giants or Lions make it there will be an underdog narrative attached to the victor from many neutral fans perspectives.

If you would rather mow the lawns than watch a Blues vs Pies grand final, then you probably never enjoyed footy that much in the first place.

Brisbane at the Gabba is the toughest game in footy, they haven’t lost all year. I just can’t see Carlton winning.

But who knows, finals are a different game.
They are that - Blues will make it highly contested & the pressure will build on Brisbane if they can’t get away early.

Interesting to see how they handle it.

Blues have had nothing but pressure for the past 2 months - it’s in the blood.

If we get Pies v Blues I wonder what the AFL will do re: jumper clash?

I know most of us don't see too much of an issue but surely for the biggest game of the year, the one most watched by international viewers, the AFL would want a clear "Dark v Light" setup.

Part of me feels that Carlton wouldn't care and, like Richmond in 2017, they'll wear anything if it means playing in a Grand Final... but there's always that level of Carlton pride/arrogance to consider and I could see them really putting their foot down to be the NAVY Blues on GF Day.

Mainly just want a good game, but Brisbane vs GWS just feels so 'meh'.

Don't mind either side, and I know the Kingsley family who seem like good people, but it just feels boring.

It's not a Vic thing either. For instance, I wanted Port to win the thing until they got knocked out.

However, everything from the small fanbases to the colour eye-sore leaves a lot to be desired. It would be the complete antithesis of Carlton vs Collingwood in terms of buildup.

It's nobody's fault, it's just how the competition is setup...but I reckon many would forget the game within a couple weeks.

Mainly just want a good game, but Brisbane vs GWS just feels so 'meh'.

Don't mind either side, and I know the Kingsley family who seem like good people, but it just feels boring.

It's not a Vic thing either. For instance, I wanted Port to win the thing until they got knocked out.

However, everything from the small fanbases to the colour eye-sore leaves a lot to be desired. It would be the complete antithesis of Carlton vs Collingwood in terms of buildup.

It's nobody's fault, it's just how the competition is setup...but I reckon many would forget the game within a couple weeks.

You just never know the type of game you'll get.

I know plenty of people on this board were lamenting the 2018 Grand Final match up and it ended up being the ultimate neutral fan viewing experience.

I also mean this with all due respect, but I've never been more ready for the next footy season to start than I was the day after last seasons Grand Final. That was the most anticlimactic decider you could imagine. And it was two teams in great form with recent history of sustained success.

If we get Brisbane vs GWS and it goes down to the wire, the neutral fanbase will likely just be happy they got a great contest. Surprise factor could count for a lot.

Depends if you want Melbourne city to rock if you do most definately its Collingwood v Carlton then from there its Collingwood v Brisbane (aka Fitzroy) then GWS and Blues kind of at least have pies or blues in it.
Dead as a door nail its GWS and brisbane.

For me love Collingwood and carlton gf with the Pies winning it by 23 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends if you want Melbourne city to rock if you do most definately its Collingwood v Carlton then from there its Collingwood v Brisbane (aka Fitzroy) then GWS and Blues kind of at least have pies or blues in it.

Brutally honest I couldn't give two shits if "Melbourne city" rocked. It's a more interesting game and build up nationally with a GWS vs Brisbane game.

the level of indifference by the football public if it is a Brisbane v GWS Grand Final will be unprecedented.
If I was a betting man I'd put some cash right now on a GWS/BRISBANE grand final. They are the two form teams of the preliminary finals. No disrespect to the great Collingwood.

This is essentially it. Collingwood and Carlton will have the MCG rocking the most, Collingwood vs Brisbane next with memories of 2002 and 2003, then Carlton vs GWS at least still having Carlton in it. That said, part of me hopes for a Brisbane vs GWS grand final that sucks the life out of Melbourne until they realise the AFL isn't all about them anymore, it's a national competition. And hey, if you're not interested, other cities are.

I'd much rather wear the traditional white with black stripes jumper than the current home jumper.
I'm the opposite. I've always preferred the look of the black based jumpers. So as far as I'm concerned Carlton can suck it up and wear their away strip..
But I've never noticed that they or anyone play any different in a clash jumper strip. I wonder if there's a stat on that?

Back