What's your worst cricket memory?

Remove this Banner Ad

Our bowlers not destroying England in England every ashes series is fairly disappointing considering they have to do the hard yards on flat wickets so often that you'd think green seamers would be a welcome treat to take advantage of

That terrorist attack on the Sri Lankans was horrific. Woolmer's and Phil Hughes' death were very sad, but the terrorist attack was in a league of its own.

Yeah I still dread about that incident.

It could have ended so so worse. An entire team and its support staff could have been wiped out.

I have to mention the Phil Hughes incident here. Reading about the incident (I hadn't seen the footage yet), I thought it was one of those injuries that happens on the cricket field that requires hospitalisation but would get discharged after a few days. When I heard he went into a coma, only then I realised the magnitude of the injury but still I felt he would recover, however late. The news of his death was a jolt and came as a sudden shock. It probably affected me more than I thought it would because I felt down for nearly a week after the news and it almost felt like you had lost someone you personally knew.

I don't know why but probably because it was the first kind of incident of a famous international cricketer succumbing to an on field injury ever since I started watching cricket. There has been cases of cricketers dying off field like Hanse Cronje and Ben Hollioake but Phil Hughes was the first case of an international cricketer succumbing to an injury while playing the sport we all love since I started watching the game. That was when the perils of the sport started becoming more apparent and I always cringe whenever a ball is hit at high speed towards a close in fielder without protection or especially past the bowler, missing his head by mere inches. You almost feel like it's one miscalculation away from it happening again. Frankly, I wouldn't mind if bowlers started wearing a sort of head gear to protect their forehead and temple. Doesn't need to be like an actual helmet as it would affect the bowling, but atleast a padding or sorts but I don't know how much that would help because you can't prevent the blunt injury.

So this actually happened in a practice match today. Ashok Dinda got hit flush on the forehead straight off the bat on the follow through. Apparently he's given the clear by the doctors. But really think one of those Gavaskar helmets wouldn't do harm to a bowler.

So this actually happened in a practice match today. Ashok Dinda got hit flush on the forehead straight off the bat on the follow through. Apparently he's given the clear by the doctors. But really think one of those Gavaskar helmets wouldn't do harm to a bowler.

Reminds me of Luke Fletcher in the County ODI comp last year. How he suffered no long term effects ill never know

Apparently helmets are being made mandatory for batsmen in our local competition next season. I know a lot of blokes are already considering not playing. I hate wearing the things, I haven’t put one on to bat in since I was about 10 I think. The only real strength I had as a batsman was playing the short ball and to this day I firmly believe it was because I was bought up having to make sure I was in the right position and kept a close eye on the ball to avoid getting hit.

Apparently helmets are being made mandatory for batsmen in our local competition next season. I know a lot of blokes are already considering not playing. I hate wearing the things, I haven’t put one on to bat in since I was about 10 I think. The only real strength I had as a batsman was playing the short ball and to this day I firmly believe it was because I was bought up having to make sure I was in the right position and kept a close eye on the ball to avoid getting hit.
I was a very early adopter of the helmet back when only *ahem* NTTAWWTters wore them because it gave me that confidence to get my body behind the ball.

I was a very early adopter of the helmet back when only *ahem* NTTAWWTters wore them because it gave me that confidence to get my body behind the ball.

I just couldn’t get past the whole ‘it’s in my eyeline and it’s annoying me’ aspect early. As I got older that mutated into a bravado thing as well. I didn’t want any bowler to think he was quick enough to worry me. I still don’t wear a thigh pad either for the same reason. It’s macho bullshit but I can’t let it go

It's a bit easier to cope with it in sunday league cricket though than in international cricket lol..:D

Adelaide in 92/93 v the Windies. Not only as it gutting to get so close to something I'd not seen before in my relatively short time in existence, but AB, the man whose entire career ran parallel to the Caribbean domination of world cricket, deserved to win that series.

On a personal level, i was more of a bowler who could bat a bit. I was a spinner with aspirations of one day being as good as Shane Warne, if i made it to the very top. I was on a hat trick twice but missed out on both occasions.

The big disappointment came with bat: I was 46 not out batting with the last batsmen. We needed 14 off the last 12 balls to win the match. I was on strike for the 1st ball of the 2nd last over, saw a ball that ought to go to the boundary for 4, a 4 which would see the run chase down to 10 off 11 and a 50 for me. Unfortunately, i missed the ball completely, was clean bowled, we lost and i missed out 50. I was 10 at the time so missing out on 50 was extra disappointing because i missed out a little trophy for a half century. It was as close as I'd get to a half century too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I had to pick a personal one, it kind of co-incides with one of my most treasured memories.

Basically, my first year of senior cricket - I think I was 15, turned 16 during the season - we had a mixture of kids and old guys who hadn’t played for 5-10 years. Small town comp, 10 teams. Top 4 at the end played finals for the A grade title, next four played for B grade. We held our own and won enough games to finish fifth but a week from finals the second side got kicked out for threatening an umpire so we got promoted to fourth. Won our two finals in upsets, made the grand final.

We won the toss and batted, I opened alongside my best mate since basically birth. Unbeknownst to me my dad, a farmer, had stolen the neighbour’s motorbike to come and watch (he never watched me really). I clobbered the first ball through cover for three. I felt a million bucks. We got to 0-40 off 8 against a team of fairly seasoned players, I had 33 of them.

Then we ended up at the same end of the pitch and having been last to leave my ground, I was the one dismissed.
We crumbled to be all out for 77.
I took 3-14 as we had them 6-60 but they got home. I was man of the match and seeing my dad there was a bit of a thrill, but the loss, and the way I was out, still feel like a pretty big kick in the teeth!

Christopher Henry just went through the full spectrum of emotion on the cricket field. Smashed a ton and hit 12 sixes in helping his team to a colossal target only to see the poms get there in their sleep

Christopher Henry just went through the full spectrum of emotion on the cricket field. Smashed a ton and hit 12 sixes in helping his team to a colossal target only to see the poms get there in their sleep

Ton in a losing effort is the pinnacle of batsmanship #gradecricketer

Ton in a losing effort is the pinnacle of batsmanship #gradecricketer

Mate of mine from another club did it in a first grade grand final last year, I commented about how proud the Grade Cricketer would be on his Facey page while he was at the pub after the game. One of his teammates who must be as dumb as a box of hammers completely missed the point of the comment, went in a tirade about my own cricketing ability and unfriended me hahaha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back