What's your worst cricket memory?

Remove this Banner Ad

12970.jpg

F*** where do I start after the last 25 years?
96 World Cup semi which we somehow bottled, every World Cup since, Lara getting run out by Samuels in his last match for the West Indies, giving ourselves a shot of chasing a huge target at Perth in the Gayle 71-ball century match only to stuff it up, wasting two Lara epics at the Adelaide oval for two losses, getting beaten 3-0 while the Prince hit 600 runs on three games in Sri Lanka, cancelled tours, suspended players, board disputes. It’s just one thing after another.

But in all honesty if I had to pick one moment that trumped all of it:

Probably the Gabriel ‘see how far I can bomb this bloke’ episode on the last ball of the penultimate over with an unbeaten centurion at the other end.

Honorable mentions: Lara being run out for 277, South Africa understandably but still disappointingly settling for a draw to clinch the series when on the verge of chasing 467 or whatever it was against India, the 99 World Cup final, and as a Steyn fanboy, probably the 2015 World Cup semi. Thought they’d finally done it.

Love to hear Doug Walters theory on how he'd have won it off the one ball

They originally had it as 22 runs off 7 balls which would have given South Africa a chance but then changed it to 1 ball which was effectively game over.

F*** where do I start after the last 25 years?
96 World Cup semi which we somehow bottled, every World Cup since, Lara getting run out by Samuels in his last match for the West Indies, giving ourselves a shot of chasing a huge target at Perth in the Gayle 71-ball century match only to stuff it up, wasting two Lara epics at the Adelaide oval for two losses, getting beaten 3-0 while the Prince hit 600 runs on three games in Sri Lanka, cancelled tours, suspended players, board disputes. It’s just one thing after another.

But in all honesty if I had to pick one moment that trumped all of it:

Probably the Gabriel ‘see how far I can bomb this bloke’ episode on the last ball of the penultimate over with an unbeaten centurion at the other end.

Honorable mentions: Lara being run out for 277, South Africa understandably but still disappointingly settling for a draw to clinch the series when on the verge of chasing 467 or whatever it was against India, the 99 World Cup final, and as a Steyn fanboy, probably the 2015 World Cup semi. Thought they’d finally done it.
Oh god. Gabriel......wtf was he thinking??? Perhaps this memory is the hardest one of all for every fan of good hard test cricket. He had one job!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I secretly wanted Matthews to play this entire series knowing he'd make runs against our shitty attack and do his pressups and flexing for the coaches again like in NZ. That was so funny
Honestly everything that could go wrong went wrong in this away series of NZ, Aus and SA. I kinda laughed when Karunaratne went down cause it completely sung the momentum of the game. Those two were set at the time and looked like they could put on a decent partnership. He goes down and everything just went down like dominoes.

Hopefully its the making rather than the breaking. It's gonna be scary what the Saffas are gonna do to us next.

My first day of test cricket, WACA, early 1993. Thought I was going to see Allan Border break Gavaskar's world record.

We bat first, good news. Bit of a cheer when Justin Langer keeps Mark Taylor out of the side. Also Jo Angel, good Midland Guildford boy, makes his test debut.

Then AB gets a golden duck, Ambrose runs through us, Jo Angel gets smashed around like a club cricketer and the Windies have a lead on the first innings by stumps on the first day.

Happy days....

Boxing day 2010 comes to mind. England had the better of the first two tests and were worthy of going to Perth 1-0 up. Australia won in Perth as they always do against England and leveled the series at 1-1. England won the toss, bowled first, bowled Australia out for 98 in just over two sessions and from there the Ashes were their's barring a miracle. The result was one thing, the manner of Australia's capitulation was the disappointment.

That was enormously disappointing the way batted that first day... like they were 4 down. Still gives me the shivers. Punter playing with a stuffed hand and looking like it was just about the anti-bonus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back