What's your worst cricket memory?

Remove this Banner Ad

Even the Super Sixes game with Gibbs dropping Waugh - had they won that, from memory they would have gone through instead of us in the drawn semi final?
If South Africa had beaten us in that Super Sixes game we would've been knocked out completely then and there as it was the last game before the semi finals and it all hinged on that game as far as we were concerned.

South Africa winning would've seen them top the Super Six group, Pakistan 2nd, NZ 3rd, Zimbabwe 4th and Australia and India knocked out in 5th and 6th.

South Africa would've been playing Zimbabwe in the semi final.

Sandpaper - by miles. Lost about 50% of my interest then, and still haven't regained it. And I don't think it's just because we've been losing so badly.As a fan and spectator, I detest cheating and going outside the rules in any sport as just destroying any reason to watch in the first place.

On field - McDermott's dismissal at Adelaide 92/93. We would have been undisputed No 1 in the world by knocking off the Windies. Followed immediately by the thought 'Oh, well, we can still beat them in Perth, and........oh, bugger'.

As a Black Caps supporter the 2015 World Cup final was a real let down, they had a great tournament up until then including that thrilling semi final win over South Africa but failed to step up in the final, being their only game on Australian soil was no doubt a factor but I was still hoping for a better contest.

I'm Australian, but I was on the Black Caps bandwagon big time for that tournament. Was definitely disappointing that the final wasn't more of a contest, especially after the epic semi against South Africa. As soon as McCullum was dismissed in the final, you just got a sense that it wasn't going to be NZ's day.

Mine was Kasper and Lee getting soooooooooooo close at edgbaston in '05 only to lose the test. Warnie played unbelievably well too and I knew we were going to win. When Kasper got out I had a meltdown. It's not the despair that gets you it's the HOPE

Yeah, great call. It still hurts :-(

Lol, gotta say as the anti-Australia poster boy, that was simply f***ing amazing. I went to the RSL club for Thursday night trivia and a couple of schooners - round two hadn’t finished when australia’s Innings had.
You could fit that innings in a tweet ball by ball that's how quickly it was all over. He was on fire that day

Lol, gotta say as the anti-Australia poster boy, that was simply f***ing amazing. I went to the RSL club for Thursday night trivia and a couple of schooners - round two hadn’t finished when australia’s Innings had.

There was no time to get angry. Its like when you remember something someone said in passing that annoyed you but it happened so quickly your emotions cannot catch up

Mine was Kasper and Lee getting soooooooooooo close at edgbaston in '05 only to lose the test. Warnie played unbelievably well too and I knew we were going to win. When Kasper got out I had a meltdown. It's not the despair that gets you it's the HOPE

I still don't think that was out.

Perhaps my understanding is wrong; he gloved it but his hand was well and truly off the bat and not in control of the bat. Is that still out?

Yes, his hand was off the bat - but it wasn't obvious, in real time it looked clearly out and no one had any objections at the time. The only protests were raised hours later when the experts were reviewing the super-slow-mo replays and said 'Hey, wait a minute!'.

It was fair enough.

The 2003 ODI WC final was disappointing but to be honest, the better team won and India were the underdogs in that match after getting comprehensively beaten in a group game prior to that match, so it doesn't hurt that much on hindsight. No shame in losing to that Australian team. (Still think Ponting was out on 46, that guy Bucknor fuc**d us once again lmao).

But one match, or rather series, that really stung the most for me was India's tour of South Africa in 2010. It was a series played between two great teams; India had Tendulkar, Sehwag, Dravid, Laxman, Dhoni, Zaheer and Harbhajan in their ranks while South Africa had Smith, Kallis, Boucher, Amla, ABD, Steyn and Morkel.

India's tour started with a collapse in first innings (as usual) at the Supersport park in Centurion. India were shot out for 130, Morkel being the chief destroyer. South Africa in reply, made 600, with Amla and ABD hitting tons each and Kallis hitting a double and it was a drubbing in the end.

In the second test at Durban, India once again got shot out for an underpar total of 200 in their first innings batting first, Steyn being the dismantler this time and it looked like the series could end in a whitewash. But this was when the series took a twist. South Africa in reply got shot out for 130 with Zaheer Khan running through the top order (and tormented Smith once again like a lot of times before) and Harbhajan finishing things. Laxman hit a 96 in the second innings and it was enough to square the series at 1-1 heading into the final test.

The one thing that I remember vividly about this match was this brute of a delivery to Kallis by Sreesanth in the second innings.

The decider at Newlands was building up to be a cracker. South Africa won the toss and batted first this time, making 362 in their first innings, Kallis starred with a masterful 160. In reply, India made 364 in their first innings and it featured one of the greatest duels in test cricket history between a majestic Tendulkar at one end and a rampaging Dale Steyn at the other end. Tendulkar made 146 and Steyn bagged a fifer and things were delicately balanced after the end of first innings of both teams in the decider. In the second innings, Harbhajan ran through the top 4 of South African batting line up for next to nothing and SA were under the cosh at 130/6. South Africa were perilously close to losing their first ever series at home to an asian side. Step up Sir Kallis once more, making 109 off 240 balls in a vital partnership with Boucher, Harbhajan bagged a 7fer but SA were dragged to safety with 340 in their second innings. The match petered out to a draw and it was a case of so close but yet so far to winning an overseas series for India once again.

That majestic bastard Kallis stood before India and prevented them from winning their first ever series in South Africa and India were sick of the sight of Kallis in the end to be honest. It was a bittersweet series for India in that a draw against that South African side in their home was still a significant achievement, but there was a sense of lost opportunity to winning that series that may not come again easily. Still it was one of the most memorable series as a cricket watching fan for me.

Last edited:
Yeh that Steyn vs Tendulkar innings was unbelievable. Ive tried to find some extended footage of that for a while now but cant find anything. Steyn at his best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still don't think that was out.

Perhaps my understanding is wrong; he gloved it but his hand was well and truly off the bat and not in control of the bat. Is that still out?
At the time and even now sitting here thinking about it. I have no problems with the decision. It looked out big time

Yes, his hand was off the bat - but it wasn't obvious, in real time it looked clearly out and no one had any objections at the time. The only protests were raised hours later when the experts were reviewing the super-slow-mo replays and said 'Hey, wait a minute!'.

It was fair enough.
From memory Kasper himself had no dramas with the decision too. It was very very very close. Credit to billy for making a gutsy call based on his instinct. I just don't think we were meant to win that test

Obviously nothing to watch but still, Ryan Harris' career ending knee injury before the 2015 Ashes was a big one. Pretty much knew he needed to be fit and firing for all 5 Tests if we were to be a chance (at least looking at it in hindsight since we were considered favourites before hand) and sadly he was gone before he even got a chance. Certainly deserved a better end to his career and the fact he skipped the IPL to help his chances of staying fit must have been pretty tough for him as well.

Being a Redbacks supporter it would be nigh on impossible to narrow it down to one disappointment.

Just being a Redbacks supporter is disappointment enough. I began watching them in the 1960s, the 60s and 70s were so exciting to watch, and then the past 40 years have been very ordinary to say the least.

I guess my greatest disappointment is seeing how the Sheffield Shield, once the envy of every other cricketing nation has been reduced to almost irrelevance, thanks to truncated forms of the game.

On a personal level I went to my only Boxing Day test in 2013. We'd already won the series so it was a dead rubber but there was still plenty of buzz around after the way we'd been playing.

Went on day 2 as I was flying out on day 3 and managed to pick one of the dullest days of the series. Next day saw some quick runs from our tail, a fast 50 from Alistair Cook and all 10 English wickets. Also went along last year when Mitch Marsh and Steve Smith plundered big hundreds against England and it just wasn't interesting cricket. That's test cricket, some days are exciting some not so much.

I secretly wanted Matthews to play this entire series knowing he'd make runs against our shitty attack and do his pressups and flexing for the coaches again like in NZ. That was so funny
Chandimals has been sacked and now dropped from the side. This turning into a nightmare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back