Wheel of Time

Remove this Banner Ad

That's pretty cool Sanderson is on board. Although I wasn't the biggest fan of his style in finishing the series, I was glad that he was able to do it. I'm actually reading his Mistborn trilogy at the moment and again, not a massive fan of his writing but I reckon his style is way more suited to TV actually. I think he'll be able to have a really good input into keeping a show on pace and would have a pretty great insight into the conversation of what should stay/get cut.

There was an article posted on twitter and the wot subreddit that said production will be from September this year to May next year and that they’d be filming in Czech Republic, Slovenia and Croatia.

Whether the series takes off or not at least the scenery for the first season will be pretty.

Apparently Rafe Judkins (the show runner of Wheel of Time) answered 5 questions (chosen from the masses by amazon of course) about Rosamund Pike as Moiraine.

You’ll find them on Rafe’s twitter account and they’ve been sorted and put on thedailytrolloc.com by Narg the Trolloc and they’re on the WoT subreddit as well if anyone’s interested in checking them out.

Some of them are good questions and worth checking out.

I love this answer:

What was the clincher in your talks with Rosamund that made you go "Yes. This is Moiraine"?

There were two. The first was the moment I heard her voice on the other side of the phone and it truly felt like Moiraine’s voice. Almost instantaneously. The second was after she spoke about Moiraine’s mission and what it meant to her as a character, how it affected Moiraine’s life and how she sees those who she cares about. It was 100% clear she deeply understood Moiraine and the forces that drive her.

I love this answer:

What was the clincher in your talks with Rosamund that made you go "Yes. This is Moiraine"?

There were two. The first was the moment I heard her voice on the other side of the phone and it truly felt like Moiraine’s voice. Almost instantaneously. The second was after she spoke about Moiraine’s mission and what it meant to her as a character, how it affected Moiraine’s life and how she sees those who she cares about. It was 100% clear she deeply understood Moiraine and the forces that drive her.
My favourite was the one about accents. Sounds like they’re keeping Rosamund’s natural accent, which makes me happy.

I reread Tellings of The Wheel (Chapter 9?) of The Eye of the World on Tuesday night and I kept hearing Rosamund’s Natural accent during the telling of The Fall of Manetheren, which I really liked. It’s probably my favourite chapter or close to it, because of The Fall of Manetheren story, in Eye of the World.

However every time a Cairheinian speaks in WoT now I’ll be hearing that accent since it sounds like they want to use it as a basis for the way the Cairheinian speak.

I'm hoping they do a decent adaptation. I'm not worried about actresses being short or tall or the like. More a completely different race or going big on 'Pillow friends' or the like (something only hinted at or mentioned in passing), to show how Woke they are. Stick to the story and characters as written, learn from how Game of Thrones went downhill when they stopped having book material to use.

Although to be fair I'll be the opposite of how I felt with them cutting stuff out of ASoIaF for the GOT series. Books 1 to 4 of Wheel of Time I hope most of them get to screen, but after that I hope they cut out almost all the Elayne for the Lion Throne and Faile kidnapped by the Shaido subplots. And have Mat leave Ebou Dar faster than Dany leaves Slavers Bay.

They won't cut out the Faile kidnapping but it can be condensed quite a bit since not much actually happens between her being taken and Perrin rescuing her. I agree on Elayne but they won't cut that since it will eventually make her character even more useless than she is.

I'm hoping they do a decent adaptation. I'm not worried about actresses being short or tall or the like. More a completely different race or going big on 'Pillow friends' or the like (something only hinted at or mentioned in passing), to show how Woke they are. Stick to the story and characters as written, learn from how Game of Thrones went downhill when they stopped having book material to use.

Although to be fair I'll be the opposite of how I felt with them cutting stuff out of ASoIaF for the GOT series. Books 1 to 4 of Wheel of Time I hope most of them get to screen, but after that I hope they cut out almost all the Elayne for the Lion Throne and Faile kidnapped by the Shaido subplots. And have Mat leave Ebou Dar faster than Dany leaves Slavers Bay.
To be fair though, WOT is one of the most 'woke' (what a dreadful word btw) fantasy series there is. Strong female characters all over the place, including female heads of state, polyamory, and a world where only women can safely wield magic, giving them immense power, and a vast variety of cultures and races.

They won't need to change much at all for the bottom feeding neckbeards who have no experience with the series at all to start polluting message boards and Twitter with complaints about how diverse and PC it is.

If they're going for the GoT audience you know there's gonna be a too-long pillow friend sex scene. Probably an exposition scene where they explain the Ajahs.

To be fair though, WOT is one of the most 'woke' (what a dreadful word btw) fantasy series there is. Strong female characters all over the place, including female heads of state, polyamory, and a world where only women can safely wield magic, giving them immense power, and a vast variety of cultures and races.

They won't need to change much at all for the bottom feeding neckbeards who have no experience with the series at all to start polluting message boards and Twitter with complaints about how diverse and PC it is.
I can see Perrin's love story really annoying people who have an issue with strong women.

That's pretty cool Sanderson is on board. Although I wasn't the biggest fan of his style in finishing the series, I was glad that he was able to do it. I'm actually reading his Mistborn trilogy at the moment and again, not a massive fan of his writing but I reckon his style is way more suited to TV actually. I think he'll be able to have a really good input into keeping a show on pace and would have a pretty great insight into the conversation of what should stay/get cut.
Ok reading that Sanderson is on board makes me reconsider my pillow friend comment. If he has any creative control at all there won't even be nudity (which isn't a bad thing. I'm not sure I've ever seen a sex scene that added something indispensable to a show/movie).

Last edited:
The actors playing Rand, Mat, Perrin, Nynaeve, and Egwene have all just been announced. The actor they have cast as Egwene is an Indigenous Australian which is pretty cool.

Last edited:
All those actors look close enough to how I picture the characters.

It's funny, because I have been picturing Nynaeve as (to borrow a phrase form the books) "coppery" regardless of how she or Edmonds Fielders are described in the books, so my mental imagery feels sort of vindicated at the moment that they embraced such a diverse cast. I hope they can act (don't want another Game of Thrones situation where the two young leads are completely outshone by everyone around them).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I absolutely love the casting of the Emond’s Field Five.

They are absolutely beautiful.

Base on looks it seems like perfect casting, I will never see anything else when I read about Rand, Egwene, Nynaeve, Perrin and Mat and I hope their acting talents match their looks. :D

All those actors look close enough to how I picture the characters.

It's funny, because I have been picturing Nynaeve as (to borrow a phrase form the books) "coppery" regardless of how she or Edmonds Fielders are described in the books, so my mental imagery feels sort of vindicated at the moment that they embraced such a diverse cast. I hope they can act (don't want another Game of Thrones situation where the two young leads are completely outshone by everyone around them).
I reread the scene in EoTW recently where Rand meets Elaida and from the way Elaida inspects Rand’s skin I think it’s pretty obvious that his skin tone is very very different to those in The Two Rivers and we know that despite being a desert dwelling people the Aiel are actually quite fair-skinned so since I reread that scene I’ve also been picturing the Emond’s Fielders as more darker skinned than white.

Also since I realised who the show runner was I think I had been preparing myself for a more diverse cast and I’m so glad I did because I’m so very happy with the casting, so far.

If they can’t act however there will be hell to pay. ;)

I like that they've picked actors that should look younger than the cast around them, they're meant to be teenagers on the run after all. I also like that most of them have a reasonable amount of experience behind them (I'm sure its a tricky balance when casting), maybe a little curious with Power Rangers being almost the sole credit for Zoe Robins' but I've never seen it so maybe she's fantastic in it. Purely on looks she could be great as Nynaeve and believable as someone who is a year or two older than the rest of the Two Rivers cast.

*, I reckon they've just about nailed it. Mat is a perfect casting.

The rest are similar enough, but Nynaeve is the only one who is completely different from the image I had in my head, but the more I see Zoe in articles or twitter or whatever the more I can see her as Nynaeve. And yeah, ******* cool that there's an Aussie on board, and in such a crucial role. She absolutely stunning too!

fu**, I reckon they've just about nailed it. Mat is a perfect casting.

The rest are similar enough, but Nynaeve is the only one who is completely different from the image I had in my head, but the more I see Zoe in articles or twitter or whatever the more I can see her as Nynaeve. And yeah, ******* cool that there's an Aussie on board, and in such a crucial role. She absolutely stunning too!

Zoe Robins is from New Zealand too. So 1.5 Aussies on board.

On the WoT reddit they have a thread with links to some trailers, audition tapes, scenes and the like of some of these actors past works.

So far I’ve watched videos of the actors playing the three boys and some videos of the girl playing Egwene, haven’t got to the actress playing Nynaeve yet but so far very impressed.

They can act.

More casting dropping on WOT Wednesdays.

Very nice casting!

I don’t think I’ve been disappointed yet.

Not sure what he’s like as an actor but apparently he was on Criminal Minds, so his past work shouldn’t be hard to find.

Another casting that they've just absolutely nailed imo.

He looks too young to be Lan, at least as I imagined him to be.

I think they've got the other casting spot on, but I'm not so sure about this one.
Lan was described as having an unlined face, was he not? Yeah, he's supposed to have grey hair and it's supposed to be longer, but that can be done in make up. As far as the physical face structure and his build, this dude is tall and shredded, I think this is a great casting.

He looks too young to be Lan, at least as I imagined him to be.

I think they've got the other casting spot on, but I'm not so sure about this one.
He’s actually 39. Will be 40 in November.

Give his hair a bit of a salt and pepper look and he’ll be fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back