Wheel of Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think I have seen anything the 2 blokes have been in, but Maria Doyle Kennedy was great in Orphan Black and Outlander.

For reference:

Daryl McCormack seems to be best known for a role he had in Peaky Blinders. I’ve never watched Peaky Blinders but the WoT community seems to know who he is.

In a Q & A session with Rafe a few months back he asked what fans would not want being changed and a lot of people said they didn’t want any of Rand’s love interests to be cut from the production. His reply to that was disbelief that anybody would even suggest that any of Min, Elayne and/or Aviendha would be cut. Sounds like they’re not being cut, but I think it’s going to be changed slightly, not sure how but from what I understand they’re still going to be Rand’s love interests. All three of them may be pushed back until later seasons though, Elayne and Min really don’t do much of anything until The Great Hunt and we don’t actually meet Aviendha until The Dragon Reborn and she doesn’t really become important I guess until The Shadow Rising.

I would be super pissed off if they cut Min, she’s my favourite of Rand’s three girls and it probably would be a deal breaker for me if she got cut.
Min's visions and the way she keeps Rand grounded in the later books puts her as the most important of the three for me. Elayne would be my choice to drop as one of them if they think 'guy getting 3 girls may offend 2020 audiences'. Elayne cut right back in the series, so we get very little of the fight for the Lion Throne would be a bonus. There's plenty of other 'super powered New female channelers', Elayne isn't that unique she couldn't be cut back, unlike Min IMO. That Lion Throne storyline and Faile's capture by the Shaido are the worst two major(ish) plots through the books I do hope are cut or cut to a minimum.

There's plenty of other smaller plots that can go / be reduced without losing the main story of the 5 Emond Field heroes. After book 4 there's a lot of lower quality stuff, amongst all the good. The whole section of Fires of Heaven of Elayne and Nynaeve in the circus etc. was way to long. The Aes Sedai split can be compressed time wise. The Black Ajah hunters in the Tower plot could go completely, in the end the contributed nothing to solving the problem after Verin's revelation did the lot. Mat with Tylin could be trimmed and taking all of Crossroads of Twilight to go nowhere with almost every plot line.

From casting info already given of newly named Aes Sedai / Warders there's obviously going to many merged up. There's so many tertiary characters in the books it's which one's to keep. Of Aes Sedai the ones essential to remain largely true to the books are Moraine, Siuan, Elaida, Verin, Cadsuane and Alanna. Liandrin, Leanne and Sheriam probably as well. The rest can be merged away without great loss.

Min's visions and the way she keeps Rand grounded in the later books puts her as the most important of the three for me. Elayne would be my choice to drop as one of them if they think 'guy getting 3 girls may offend 2020 audiences'. Elayne cut right back in the series, so we get very little of the fight for the Lion Throne would be a bonus. There's plenty of other 'super powered New female channelers', Elayne isn't that unique she couldn't be cut back, unlike Min IMO. That Lion Throne storyline and Faile's capture by the Shaido are the worst two major(ish) plots through the books I do hope are cut or cut to a minimum.

There's plenty of other smaller plots that can go / be reduced without losing the main story of the 5 Emond Field heroes. After book 4 there's a lot of lower quality stuff, amongst all the good. The whole section of Fires of Heaven of Elayne and Nynaeve in the circus etc. was way to long. The Aes Sedai split can be compressed time wise. The Black Ajah hunters in the Tower plot could go completely, in the end the contributed nothing to solving the problem after Verin's revelation did the lot. Mat with Tylin could be trimmed and taking all of Crossroads of Twilight to go nowhere with almost every plot line.

From casting info already given of newly named Aes Sedai / Warders there's obviously going to many merged up. There's so many tertiary characters in the books it's which one's to keep. Of Aes Sedai the ones essential to remain largely true to the books are Moraine, Siuan, Elaida, Verin, Cadsuane and Alanna. Liandrin, Leanne and Sheriam probably as well. The rest can be merged away without great loss.
I agree with you. So many characters that can be merged.

Leanne and Liandrin have been cast, by decent actresses as well from what I understand so they’re definitely sticking around, and probably not being cut too much.

The podcast Talk’aran’rhiod, I think that’s how you pronounce it, actually did an interview with the lady playing Leanne, I’m looking forward to seeing what they do with her. The actress was very careful not to give to much away though.

I agree with you. So many characters that can be merged.

Leanne and Liandrin have been cast, by decent actresses as well from what I understand so they’re definitely sticking around, and probably not being cut too much.

The podcast Talk’aran’rhiod, I think that’s how you pronounce it, actually did an interview with the lady playing Leanne, I’m looking forward to seeing what they do with her. The actress was very careful not to give to much away though.

Liandrin can't be cut since all we really see from the Black Ajah tends to be from her perspective. For the first few books at least.

I would add Alviarin to that list as well. Without her, Elaida's coup doesn't get off the ground. She also plays a decent part as Keeper fot Elaida.

I am looking forward to seeing who they get for the rest of the main aes Sedai in the book.

I could be wrong but I think they’d be great roles for more mature actresses. Especially if the first season does super well.

Looks like Min and Siuan were announced today.

Kae Alexander (apparently formerly of Game of Thrones) will play Min.

Sophie Okonedo (I know her as Liz Ten in one of The Eleventh Doctor’s episodes, but she has been on other stuff, but I haven’t watched any of them) is playing Siuan.

This is Kae Alexander, and as Leaf in Game of Thrones.

57449acedd08959b358b476d

Last edited:
Chop her hair off and she looks pretty spot on to me.
Sophie Okonedo seems to be the one getting the awful, she’s not Siuan to me comments. Sophie can act though, I really liked her in the one thing I saw her in, and I think that’s what should matter, not whether she has blue eyes or not. Plus contacts!

Kae Alexander I think will be a great Min. She looks like she can pull off Min’s personality without an issue. :)

I don't really have thoughts either way on them. I'll trust the showrunners until they give me a reason not to.

I will say that I never pictured Siuan (or the Tairens) for that matter as black. But, I never pictured Perrin as black either but here we are. As long as she does the character justice then who cares.

I don't really have thoughts either way on them. I'll trust the showrunners until they give me a reason not to.

I will say that I never pictured Siuan (or the Tairens) for that matter as black. But, I never pictured Perrin as black either but here we are. As long as she does the character justice then who cares.
Yep all we can do is watch the first episode, whenever that comes out, if it does, and then judge it from there. That first episode is going to be the hardest one to get people interested as Wheel of Time starts with one of the more typical fantasy tropes around. It take a lot of readers a few chapters to even get into TEotW.

Both seem like more good casting just on first impressions. With Sophie Okonedo, the main feature for Suin for me is that Aes Sedai agelessness plus being able to show that regal, unquestionable authority of the Amyrlin Seat along with the ability to drop back into her fishing village background when the role requires it. I haven't seen her in a lot of things but I've no reason to think Okonedo won't be able to pull that off.

images(2).jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both seen like more good casting just on first impressions, with Sophie Okonedo, the main feature for Suin for me is that Aes Sedai agelessness plus being able to show that regal, unquestionable authority of the Amyrlin Seat along with the ability to drop back into her fishing village background when the role requires it. I haven't seen her in a lot of things but I've no reason to think Okonedo won't be able to pull that off.

View attachment 940454
I saw her in an episode of Doctor Who many years ago, one of Matt Smith’s episodes. She played Queen Elizabeth the tenth. She had moments where she had to show the regal authority of a queen yet moments where the Doctor and Amy Pond thought she may be a servant or something of the sort. It was only one episode but I think she has the ability to do what you said she needs to do.

But like I said that’s all I’ve seen her in, so not really much to go on.

Tairens are usually always been described as generally dark IIRC (but with a mix of everything like all major cities / nations). I think they are described as only a step below the seafolk in terms of skin tone more than once in the books. Juilin Sandar is the one that jumps out as being described as dark

Suian, granted, is specifically described as fair skin, one of the many inconsistencies in the books, but it may be she had outlander parents or at least one....

Looks like Marcus Rutherford (the guy playing Perrin) may have flown back to Prague over the weekend. Guess they may be starting to film again in the near future!

So Wheel of a Time apparently resumed filming on 7 September.

The Wheel of Time Twitter account released a shot of the Winespring Inn this morning. I love the look of it.

I've been listening to the audiobooks, in preparation for the TV show. So far I've listened to New Spring, and the first half of Eye of the World. It's years since I read the books, so I thought a refresher might be in order...

What I find really interesting is how badly I was pronouncing the names in my head. Some examples:
Egwene - me: Egg-wee-nee audiobook: Egg-wayne
Nynaeve - me: Nigh-nee-vee audiobook: Nigh-neev
Emonds Field - me: Ee-monds audiobook: Em-onds
(Perrin) Aybara - me: I-bar-a audiobook: Ay-bar-a
(Tar) Valon - me: Var-lon audiobook: Val-on
Moirane - me: moy-rain audiobook: mwah-rain
Siuan (Sanche) - me: Sue-an audiobook: Swaan
Manetheren - me: Man-e-ther-en audiobook: Man-eth-er-en

I've been listening to the audiobooks, in preparation for the TV show. So far I've listened to New Spring, and the first half of Eye of the World. It's years since I read the books, so I thought a refresher might be in order...

What I find really interesting is how badly I was pronouncing the names in my head. Some examples:
Egwene - me: Egg-wee-nee audiobook: Egg-wayne
Nynaeve - me: Nigh-nee-vee audiobook: Nigh-neev
Emonds Field - me: Ee-monds audiobook: Em-onds
(Perrin) Aybara - me: I-bar-a audiobook: Ay-bar-a
(Tar) Valon - me: Var-lon audiobook: Val-on
Moirane - me: moy-rain audiobook: mwah-rain
Siuan (Sanche) - me: Sue-an audiobook: Swaan
Manetheren - me: Man-e-ther-en audiobook: Man-eth-er-en
Unless you listened to the audiobooks first I think everyone has a bunch of mispronounced names. Of the list above ones I got wrong were:
Egwene - Egg - ween
Emonds Field - Ee-monds field
Aybara - I-ba-ra
Moraine - More-rain
Siuan - Sue-an
Manetheren - Ma-neth-e-ren

Unless you listened to the audiobooks first I think everyone has a bunch of mispronounced names. Of the list above ones I got wrong were:
Egwene - Egg - ween
Emonds Field - Ee-monds field
Aybara - I-ba-ra
Moraine - More-rain
Siuan - Sue-an
Manetheren - Ma-neth-e-ren
Funnily enough even the audiobooks get things wrong. Moghedien being one they often get wrong. They can’t decide between Mo-geh-dian and Mo-geh-deen. :D

I always knew I pronounced Nynaeve wrong it's more Nin-a-veve when I read it. I probably get Rand, Mat, Lan and Min about right and start getting more dodgy after that 😅.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back