Wheel of Time

Remove this Banner Ad

If he's being cast now, then surely he wouldn't be appearing until the 2nd season? The first season has long since finished shooting, and is only a couple of months away from release.
You could be right, however WotUp seem pretty convinced this guy will appear in season 1. Apparently they’ve been sitting on the information for a little while waiting until they got confirmation from various sources. Like I said, and they made a point of saying it in their video as well, grain of salt. It’s just a rumour, I don’t know what they’re record is like haven’t been following them much, however the Wheel of Time fandom seems to trust them to a degree.

Oh and if anyone is interested in trailer breakdowns, there’s a creator on YouTube, Unravelling the Pattern, who has done an absolutely brilliant breakdown of the trailer. Not sure how accurate they are, all just theories, but theories is what made wheel of time so bloody awesome in the old days. :D

If this person is right with their breakdown Amazon have actually told a pretty cool story with the trailer. It’s insane how much detail this guy has gone into with their trailer breakdown.

If you don’t like spoilers however I’d avoid the video I mentioned, I think he does go over some of the things that happen later on in the books, but wot fandom is pretty good, most of them have spoiler warnings, especially some of the bigger content creators.

Last edited:
Late to the thread because didn’t know it existed.

repeating what said in the fantasy series thread. Think WoT works well for tv. Can cut a lot from the books (which start losing sharp focus as the series goes on) while still telling the story.

GOT was the opposite where cutting sections from the books to make it fit tv meant lost a lot of key things.

having said that I think I made it only to book 7 in this series before losing interest. Might try again before November

Late to the thread because didn’t know it existed.

repeating what said in the fantasy series thread. Think WoT works well for tv. Can cut a lot from the books (which start losing sharp focus as the series goes on) while still telling the story.

GOT was the opposite where cutting sections from the books to make it fit tv meant lost a lot of key things.

having said that I think I made it only to book 7 in this series before losing interest. Might try again before November
Well if it helps, Rafe Judkins, the Showrunner, has said that season 1 covers bits of book 1, book 2 and book 3 but not all of book 1. :D so you probably don’t need to read all the books, plus 2 and 3 are some of the best books in the series and I always get through those two in no time.

Well if it helps, Rafe Judkins, the Showrunner, has said that season 1 covers bits of book 1, book 2 and book 3 but not all of book 1. :D so you probably don’t need to read all the books, plus 2 and 3 are some of the best books in the series and I always get through those two in no time.
Yeah I remember smashing the first few books, then slowly bogged down….

Happens to everyone hence the middle 3-4 books being known as 'the slog'.
Yeah I remember smashing the first few books, then slowly bogged down….
I’ve been rereading books 1-9 for so long, never got past book 9 myself, 1-3 weren’t too bad, 4 took me about a year and I’ve been on chapter Sallie Deara in book 5 for the last 6 months! It’s taking me so long to get through them, not because they’re bad but because I’ve reread those books so many times over the years since I was about 18. I just want to finish the series because I hear books 11-14 are absolutely brilliant. ;-;

I’ve been rereading books 1-9 for so long, never got past book 9 myself, 1-3 weren’t too bad, 4 took me about a year and I’ve been on chapter Sallie Deara in book 5 for the last 6 months! It’s taking me so long to get through them, not because they’re bad but because I’ve reread those books so many times over the years since I was about 18. I just want to finish the series because I hear books 11-14 are absolutely brilliant. ;-;

Just go to the Wot Wiki for a recap on those first 9 books then go to book 10. The payoff is worth it.

Just go to the Wot Wiki for a recap on those first 9 books then go to book 10. The payoff is worth it.
I might have to do that, the problem is Books 6, 7 and 9 all have some of my favourite events in the whole series! Maybe I should read summaries for the chapters I have trouble with and read those awesome events in the whole. :D

I'm watching the WotUp videos. The producers seem to have made a LOT of changes... I've yet to find one which he disagrees with. He seems to spend a lot of time fapping over & blatantly excusing changes made by the producers.

They've changed this... I like it. They've changed that... I like it. And so it goes...

I'm watching the WotUp videos. The producers seem to have made a LOT of changes... I've yet to find one which he disagrees with. He seems to spend a lot of time fapping over & blatantly excusing changes made by the producers.

They've changed this... I like it. They've changed that... I like it. And so it goes...
I haven’t watched all of his videos. I tend to watch other people more than him. I only mentioned that LTT casting because I was curious about who they’d, allegedly, I guess, got for him.

Surprisingly though, while not everyone in the WoT fandom is happy with everything it’s been pretty positive towards the series.

Also, let’s be honest, there’s a lot in the books that could be trimmed down a bit. The only major changes I’ve noticed myself is bringing Karene Sedai forward to the main Wheel of Time books and giving Logain a bigger role, the bigger focus on Aes Sedai and the tower in the first season instead of the boys and taking Caemlyn completely out of season 1.

I like the Logain changes, and I’m not sure about Karene Sedai yet and I know why they’re taking the focus off Rand, Perrin and Matt in the first season and it makes sense to me. Keeps a bit of mystery in the show.

The Caemlyn one was the big one that I was disappointed with, I was looking forward to seeing Rand’s first meeting with Morgase, Elayne, Gawyn, Galad and Elaida. Elaida especially. In Caemlyn.

It’ll be interesting to see how I feel about the changes after I’ve watched the show.
It’ll be interesting to see how I feel about the changes after I’ve watched the show.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are what now

The first season is more Moiraine focused. I don't know exactly why they have chosen to go that way but I reckon a big part of it is it would be a lot easier to introduce the world and the different political factions from her P.O.V. rather than the Emond's Field 5.

They are what now
The first season is more Moiraine focused. I don't know exactly why they have chosen to go that way but I reckon a big part of it is it would be a lot easier to introduce the world and the different political factions from her P.O.V. rather than the Emond's Field 5.
And I think they want to keep the mystery of who actually is the dragon reborn a mystery for as long as possible. Hence part of why Logain’s role has been expanded on.

Josha’s actually part of the starring credits along with Rosamund Pike and one other person while the rest are credited as co-stars, so I’m almost positive we’ll know who The Dragon Reborn is by the end of the first season.

Rosamund Pike is a much bigger name around which to market the first season. Josha is a complete unknown, or close to it (I'd never heard of him before he was cast, and couldn't name anything else he's appeared in).

Won't be for long.
Nope he won’t be, Rand is a very well developed fantasy protagonist, Josha is going to have a lot to work with, if the writer’s do right by Rand and don’t ruin RJ’s development of Rand then it’ll be completely on Josha’s hands and the role has the potential to really get his international career off the ground.

My money however is on Madeleine Madden, whether you like Egwene personally or not, the truth of the matter is that it is a very very good role for a relative unknown to get. Egwene is far from my favourite character however I won’t deny that it’s an absolutely fantastic role if the writer’s treat her right.

Looking at Wiki i think I probably got up to book 7 or 8. Memory is hazy. Thankfully with the kindle I won’t be stacking books sky high again if decide to re-read
Books 9 & 10 are a real struggle. The events at the end of Book 9 are massively important, but the journey to get there is incredibly painful for the reader. Book 10 is best described as "800 pages where nothing happens". Things pick up again with Book 12, when Sanderson takes over, and finally starts to pull all of the strings together (which RJ seemingly had no idea how to do).

Books 9 & 10 are a real struggle. The events at the end of Book 9 are massively important, but the journey to get there is incredibly painful for the reader. Book 10 is best described as "800 pages where nothing happens". Things pick up again with Book 12, when Sanderson takes over, and finally starts to pull all of the strings together (which RJ seemingly had no idea how to do).
What about Book 11? I’ve never read it but I keep hearing it’s up there with TSR and LOC as one of Jordan’s best books.

What about Book 11? I’ve never read it but I keep hearing it’s up there with TSR and LOC as one of Jordan’s best books.
It's so long since I read it originally, and I'm only up to Book 10 with the audiobooks - and progress there has almost halted, as I'm not driving anywhere due to lockdown.

Nope he won’t be, Rand is a very well developed fantasy protagonist, Josha is going to have a lot to work with, if the writer’s do right by Rand and don’t ruin RJ’s development of Rand then it’ll be completely on Josha’s hands and the role has the potential to really get his international career off the ground.

My money however is on Madeleine Madden, whether you like Egwene personally or not, the truth of the matter is that it is a very very good role for a relative unknown to get. Egwene is far from my favourite character however I won’t deny that it’s an absolutely fantastic role if the writer’s treat her right.

I'm interested to see how Logain is handled.

Goes through some swings and roundabouts - going to need a solid performance.

I know little about Alvaro Morte, but in a big thumbs up to the casting directors, the moment I saw him I'm like 'yep, that's him'.

I've said this before but its a real shame how sidetracked the series got, it quickly became some of my favourite books back in the 90s and I've read the first four or five countless times but I've only read the last few books once and I doubt I'll ever reread the series again. I don't tend to reread books anymore anyway but there is just no way I could commit so much time for what is imo so little pay off with the second half of the series.

Interesting decision to switch the focus away from the Edmond's Field 5. It makes a lot of sense to focus on Moraine both as a character and due to the actor but the naivety of the Edmond Fielder's made them an easy focus narratively because the reader found out about the world as they did.

Its hard to tell from the trailer and I haven't watched any breakdowns yet but I am relieved to see that they have kept the mutated characteristics for the Trollocs, not sure if they're still 10 feet tall but they are certainly not human.

I'm interested to see how Logain is handled.

Goes through some swings and roundabouts - going to need a solid performance.

I know little about Alvaro Morte, but in a big thumbs up to the casting directors, the moment I saw him I'm like 'yep, that's him'.
I watched part of the first season of Money Heist on Netflix, while it’s not really my type of show, I thought his turn as the Professor was very good and I knew then he’d make a great Logan. I’m very excited for that storyline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back