Wheel of Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Until it is confirmed by official sources, I am choosing not to believe it.
It was Deadline, they’re usually pretty trustworthy where Hollywood and the acting industry is concerned.

That'd be such a shame if true, from what little we've seen so far I thought the original casting was great.
Yep, I wish Amazon would just come out and confirm it or not, I think Amazon’s silence is actually very damning. Barney also hasn’t been in any of the casts social media posts for months, so I think it’s true. If not, surely Amazon would have come out and said, this is simply not true?

The rumoured new guy certainly has a Mat like look to him, and I think if he’d been cast originally the fan base would have been fine, however it’s definitely a shitty situation for him if true and Amazon. A lot of the fan base was already connected to Barney Harris.

Books 9 & 10 are a real struggle. The events at the end of Book 9 are massively important, but the journey to get there is incredibly painful for the reader. Book 10 is best described as "800 pages where nothing happens". Things pick up again with Book 12, when Sanderson takes over, and finally starts to pull all of the strings together (which RJ seemingly had no idea how to do).
Book 11 is better than anything Sanderson wrote (not really his fault, he had limited notes in many areas and completely couldn't get Mat down). Book 10 agreed is awful. Book 11 teases how great the series would have been if RJ had lived to end it.

I expect changes and that's fine. Although it's the Emond's Field 5, when it all comes down to it Rand is the most important character through the whole series by a large margin. The one I expect they'll change to 'get with the times' is pushing down The Dragon Reborn being so pivotal and bump up Egwene as just as important. Certainly her (and Nynaeve's) characters are, but IMO it's Rand >> Mat and Perrin > Moraine, Egwene & Nyneave > Elayne > Avi, Min, later books Siuan >>> any other people as far as how important to the story people are. Now some are certainly more interesting then some of those (E.g. Verin), but that's how in the books I'd rate it. If they are cutting back on how much Andor is featuring then Elayne can be pushed down the list (or go TBH, losing the whole Lion Throne plot and Faile's kidnapping would the best ways to keep the series not getting bogged down mid-books). Rand has to stay, once revealed as The Dragon Reborn as THE key figure though, or it's going to lose what WOT is about.

I'd add Egwene to the same level as Mat and Perrin. The White Tower stuff in the later books is pivotal to the end game. Hell, I would even go so far as to suggest she is more important to the overall story than Perrin.

I'd add Egwene to the same level as Mat and Perrin. The White Tower stuff in the later books is pivotal to the end game. Hell, I would even go so far as to suggest she is more important to the overall story than Perrin.

Nynaeve did participate in the cleansing, was at the Bore during the Last Battle in the circle with Moiraine and the Dragon Reborn, has literally defeated a Forsaken...

Reckon she has her covered.

So the panel for Comic-Con is Rafe Judkins, Rosamund Pike, Josha Stradowski, Daniel Henney, Zoe Robins, Madeleine Madden and Marcus Rutherford, that’s the main cast minus Barney Harris. That Mat rumour is looking truer by the day. :(

My thoughts as well. I just wish someone would come out and confirm it.
Yep me too, however if it makes you feel better, when there’s this much silence is usually a personal issue, like mental health or something, so while I certainly hope he’s ok, I respect that they’re respecting his privacy if it is something like that.

Eh that came out wrong, mental health is never something to make people feel better about, it sucks whichever way you look at it, what I mean is I don’t think he’s done anything wrong or been treated badly by Amazon. I’m not sure if that sounds any better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The official Prime Video account on Twitter has released three more screenshots from the series. I’m not going to post them here because at least one of them looks like a pretty decent sized spoiler for the show, but not the books.

Be interesting to see how people react to that particular change.

The official Prime Video account on Twitter has released three more screenshots from the series. I’m not going to post them here because at least one of them looks like a pretty decent sized spoiler for the show, but not the books.

Be interesting to see how people react to that particular change.

Are you talking about the Rand/Egwene photo? Hardly a spoiler at this point after the teaser trailer. As for the change, I doubt anyone will be bothered by it. We knew in the books that they had some sort of thing going and if the show want to ham it up for the screen then so be it.

Are you talking about the Rand/Egwene photo? Hardly a spoiler at this point after the teaser trailer. As for the change, I doubt anyone will be bothered by it. We knew in the books that they had some sort of thing going and if the show want to ham it up for the screen then so be it.
We think like that but there were already book purists worrying about it when the trailer dropped. It’s a silly thing to be annoyed about, I agree, but there are people that were upset by the change. My only problem with it is that it’s going to create ship wars when other characters come into the show, and that’s never fun.

I love that picture of Rand and Egwene btw, it’s a beautiful picture.

So far the producers have barely kept anything from the book intact, beyond the names of the 5 main characters & ability of the Aes Sedai to channel...
  • Rand & Egwene getting it on.
  • Aes Sedai without ageless faces.
  • Warders without colour-shifting cloaks.
  • No trip to Caemlyn.
  • The White Tower brought down to 1/10th scale model size.
  • Egwene's trip down the river.
  • Moiraine's blue head pendant AWOL from most scenes.
  • Logain's role massively enhanced (his rebellion was entirely off-screen in the books).
  • Waygates that look like Portal Stones, and nothing like Waygates.
... and that's just the changes we know about so far.

At this rate I'm expecting Perrin to be the Dragon Reborn.

Don't get me wrong - I accept that there were always going to be changes. We really didn't need the whole saga of Rand & Mat being ambushed by Dark Friends at every single village on their way to Caemlyn, and I think everyone could do without the sagas of Faile's kidnapping and the Andoran Civil War. Why they felt the need to add stuff, when they were already struggling to fit in all the books' important details, is entirely beyond me.

I'm still keen to watch, but the producers keep lowering my expectations with every new trailer or photo release.

So far the producers have barely kept anything from the book intact, beyond the names of the 5 main characters & ability of the Aes Sedai to channel...
  • No trip to Caemlyn.
  • Logain's role massively enhanced (his rebellion was entirely off-screen in the books).

Don't get me wrong - I accept that there were always going to be changes. We really didn't need the whole saga of Rand & Mat being ambushed by Dark Friends at every single village on their way to Caemlyn, and I think everyone could do without the sagas of Faile's kidnapping and the Andoran Civil War. Why they felt the need to add stuff, when they were already struggling to fit in all the books' important details, is entirely beyond me.

I'm still keen to watch, but the producers keep lowering my expectations with every new trailer or photo release.
From your list I daresay you would never have been pleased. Some of that is so insignificant it's not funny.

You draw the longest bow I've ever seen.... minor details changed = everything changed including the dragon reborn, apart from the characters names..

At this point, I'd say just don't watch it I can already tell you'll just be moaning the whole time.

• No trip to Caemlyn.

Rand and Egwene getting it on we don't know how far they are taking that so don't get your knickers in a knot over that.

How in the hell are they supposed to give the Aes Sedai ageless faces? What does an ageless face look like?

I think it has already been stated that colour changing cloaks would have massively blown out the CGI budget.

We don't know if they are cutting out the trip to Caemlyn. They are probably saving it for season 2 which is why no Trakand (or Galad) has been cast.

We don't know how much of Logain's role has been enhanced.

Are we actually ever given a proper description of waygates other than having an Avendasora leaf as the key?

It almost seems like you are complaining for the sake of complaining.

Rand and Egwene getting it on we don't know how far they are taking that so don't get your knickers in a knot over that.

How in the hell are they supposed to give the Aes Sedai ageless faces? What does an ageless face look like?

I think it has already been stated that colour changing cloaks would have massively blown out the CGI budget.

We don't know if they are cutting out the trip to Caemlyn. They are probably saving it for season 2 which is why no Trakand (or Galad) has been cast.

We don't know how much of Logain's role has been enhanced.

Are we actually ever given a proper description of waygates other than having an Avendasora leaf as the key?

It almost seems like you are complaining for the sake of complaining.
How much money are they wasting doing the CGI work for an arrow's-eye view of a battle that isn't even in the books? This show has a massive budget, so failing to produce the defining/identifying looks of the Aes Sedai & Warders is a failure of epic proportions. Saying the don't have the budget for it is garbage, even more so given the money they've wasted filming stuff that isn't in the books.

I don't know what an "Ageless Face" looks like - but I didn't know what a Myrdraal's face looked like either, and they managed to come up with something pretty decent there. The fact remains that it's their one identifying feature, and they didn't even bother trying to come up with something, blaming the budget - which is an obviously weak excuse.

How much money are they wasting doing the CGI work for an arrow's-eye view of a battle that isn't even in the books? This show has a massive budget, so failing to produce the defining/identifying looks of the Aes Sedai & Warders is a failure of epic proportions. Saying the don't have the budget for it is garbage, even more so given the money they've wasted filming stuff that isn't in the books.

I don't know what an "Ageless Face" looks like - but I didn't know what a Myrdraal's face looked like either, and they managed to come up with something pretty decent there. The fact remains that it's their one identifying feature, and they didn't even bother trying to come up with something, blaming the budget - which is an obviously weak excuse.
It might be a defining feature in the book, but the question is can they identify them in the show in another way that doesn't require either vast makeup/GCI or young actresses who look to young an inexperienced.

Certainly not worth getting bothered over, doesn't change who or what they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back