Analysis When a contracted player gets traded, what's the norm regarding his contract at the new club?

Remove this Banner Ad

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Does the new club pay the remainder of the whole contract typically or is there usually some sort of fiancial support by the former club?

Also, can a whole new contract be negotiated straight away and is this called an 'extension' rather than a fresh new one? Or does the initial contract stand until it exprires?

Does the new club pay the remainder of the whole contract typically or is there usually some sort of fiancial support by the former club?

Also, can a whole new contract be negotiated straight away and is this called an 'extension' rather than a fresh new one? Or does the initial contract stand until it exprires?

I think that the first two years can’t change.

Beyond that it’s up for negotiation between the two clubs and the player.

I’m not sure or the source but there seems to be every scenario covered in the deals that have been done.

Well personally I'd be very reluctant to accept a reduced payment at the new club, and I expect many players would feel that way. In many cases it would be increase and no issue I expect. Otherwise the player can simply say "nuhuh, not happening."

A new club means a new deal, unless you're under the initial draftee contract, but you can add years (with dollars) to that (Boyd). It's not uncommon for players on front-ended contracts to bail when they get to the lean years (Ryder and Gibbs).

Sometimes the selling club pays a bit of the contract to be rid of a player (Griffen), but usually they don't. Sometimes a player moves for more money (Ablett to Gold Coast) sometimes for other reasons, and so perhaps less money (Ablett to Geelong).

It's all part of the trade, sometimes the old club continues to pay part of it, most of the time not. The total contract value cannot be lowered, AFLPA would never allow it, the years can be extended to lower the $$$ per year though but it still has to be above the minimum wage level.

Well personally I'd be very reluctant to accept a reduced payment at the new club, and I expect many players would feel that way. In many cases it would be increase and no issue I expect. Otherwise the player can simply say "nuhuh, not happening."

According to his manager Jesse Hogan took a pay cut to come to Freo
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...le-as-stars-switch-clubs-20181017-p50aa2.html
"He has taken a pay cut. While I won’t go into details, I can say the term is less than five years."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back