When a player snubs the coach on national TV....

Jakksynn

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Could be a beat up. The thing is tho, Hind looks to go out of his way to ignore Rutten's presence. Doesn't even look straight ahead and give his coach an ear. He actively ignores him. Can't even nod his head or mutter some words to show the tiniest bit of acknowledgement. This "he gave away a 50 and was hurting/about to cry" can f*** off to little league under 8s. Jesus. He's a grown ass man.
Yeah cause grown ass men don’t feel hurt or shame when they make a mistake and their team is getting flogged.

This is what happens when you fill this generations heads with only positive feedback. Teachers are not even allowed to tell them they have failed anything. They do not know how to take any sort of criticism.
Not even true, I have relatives younger than Hind that were told to shape up or ship off by their teachers in school

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Just another media beat up, Hind has played in the next 2 games since that happened so Rutten and Essendon didn't seem to think this was a big deal.

If Essendon weren't flogged by Port with the media getting the knives out for Rutten then this incident with Hind wouldn't have even got a mention.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is what happens when you fill this generations heads with only positive feedback. Teachers are not even allowed to tell them they have failed anything. They do not know how to take any sort of criticism.
As opposed to the 1970's and 1980's when footballers would go after the coach physically and had to be held back by their teammates :D

sandeano

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Space
fadc4a0564ca9ee2e6ae3be08120a55f.jpg

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Absolutely zero context was given to this incident so let me give that now.
Essendon were winning this game comfortably with minutes to go in the game and Hind gave away a 50. Rutton was fairly relaxed as it did not effect the result at all but took him off for a chat about the incident. Hind was frustrated, and a little bit sheepish about the incident so didn’t want to chat about it (aka, probably the same way 99% of humans would have reacted in the same situation). But let’s not give any of that context (Cornes), let’s double down like a moron (hutchie) and let’s just believe the narrative spin from the media which is a complete load of bullshit(at least half the fools on here).

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal

Ok boomer

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
My partner's daughter was told that she should be happy getting a C and not bother trying any harder. What the absolute *.

Being average is all we aspire to now apparently. Makes the job of the teacher easier if the only requirement on them is to do the bare minimum.

And all the ******* participation awards now. Holy hell.

I would hate to own my own business and want to hire young people.

"Extra hot but not too hot"

A moment of silence for baristas.

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
"Extra hot but not too hot"

A moment of silence for baristas.
The majority of picky customers that I have dealt with in hospitality are middle-aged (35+). Most young people will just order an extra shot, or if they have dairy issues, lactose free milk. The “not too hot, almond milk, quarter strength” BS usually comes from middle-aged women (ie, The Karen). Young people are usually more polite on the whole, too. You get the odd person who won’t get off their phone when taking an order, but that isn’t just a young person thing.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
The majority of picky customers that I have dealt with in hospitality are middle-aged (35+). Most young people will just order an extra shot, or if they have dairy issues, lactose free milk. The “not too hot, almond milk, quarter strength” BS usually comes from middle-aged women (ie, The Karen). Young people are usually more polite on the whole, too. You get the odd person who won’t get off their phone when taking an order, but that isn’t just a young person thing.
First job was at a cafe and agreed, was always the middle aged types who gave me the most grief. Learnt to put up with those who got a million variations just for the sake of it, but one thing I could never get over was the "3 quarter" latte order.

It's not on the menu and you know we'll charge you the same as a full one. People were actively willing to get less for their money just to be difficult (half the time they ordered another as it wasn't enough). The number of times I dreamed of walking over with a regular one and tipping 1/4 in their lap and saying "there you go, 3 qtr latte"

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Last night I saw the footage on Footy Classified last night of a juvenile Nick Hind refusing to sit next to Ben Rutten in the coach's box, and then when he had no alternative, turned his back to Ben and refused to look at or even acknowledge the coach. I was completely gobsmacked. Hind must have known the TV camera was on him. What message did it send out? Apart from the obvious, i.e., Rutten is finished at Essendon. Nick Hind doesn't take orders from the coach? The players rule Essendon?

I don't care who it was; that for me is possible one of the worst "non-violent" acts I have seen in AFL in recent times. If I was the incoming coach at Essendon I'd be sacking Hind. No respect for his 'boss'. Hind has done it once, he'll do it again.

Am I over reacting? Is Ben Rutten that bad that there is zero respect for him? Who is to blame for where this is at? The player or the coach?
Nope. If you take to the field you should man up and pay due respect.

Embarrassing for the club. Embarrassing for the player. Totally unprofessional.

If he was that unhappy he should have omitted himself and given a young bloke in reserves a crack. What a poor example not just for Bombers kids, but any kid watching football.

BringOn2017

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
The media vulture-parasites are at work... Rutten & Essendon are easy prey for them right now.

The clip is edited. Cornes & co are pushing their narrative, sensationalising, making that particular moment with Nick Hind look worse than it really was. Hind was pissed off and he obviously didn't want to talk to the coach. That happens. We've seen that sort of thing before from plenty of other players. They're not robots. His adrenalin levels are up. He is steamed up. He is also knackered and out of breath.

Then he calmed down and he probably did listen to Rutten, but the media snipped that bit out because it doesn't fit the narrative.

F**k the media

F**k Kane "troll" Cornes. I can't stand his brand of football infotainment.
Explain how the clip is edited ?

Danw0w

Cancelled
Footy Club Survivor 1: Adelaide Voter
Feb 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Perhaps they didn’t teach your generation not to jump to conclusions based on a short clip lacking context?

Back