When a player snubs the coach on national TV....

Last night I saw the footage on Footy Classified of a juvenile Nick Hind refusing to sit next to Ben Rutten in the coach's box, and then when he had no alternative, turned his back to Ben and refused to look at or even acknowledge the coach. I was completely gobsmacked. Hind must have known the TV camera was on him. What message did it send out? Apart from the obvious, i.e., Rutten is finished at Essendon. Nick Hind doesn't take orders from the coach? The players rule Essendon?

I don't care who it was; that for me is possible one of the worst "non-violent" acts I have seen in AFL in recent times. If I was the incoming coach at Essendon I'd be sacking Hind. No respect for his 'boss'. Hind has done it once, he'll do it again.

Am I over reacting? Is Ben Rutten that bad that there is zero respect for him? Who is to blame for where this is at? The player or the coach?

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The media vulture-parasites are at work... Rutten & Essendon are easy prey for them right now.

The clip is edited. Cornes & co are pushing their narrative, sensationalising, making that particular moment with Nick Hind look worse than it really was. Hind was pissed off and he obviously didn't want to talk to the coach. That happens. We've seen that sort of thing before from plenty of other players. They're not robots. His adrenalin levels are up. He is steamed up. He is also knackered and out of breath.

Then he calmed down and he probably did listen to Rutten, but the media snipped that bit out because it doesn't fit the narrative.

F**k the media

F**k Kane "troll" Cornes. I can't stand his brand of football infotainment.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Far be it for me to defend the Bombers, but theres zero context to this footage. Was Hind talking to Rutten while he had his head down? Can we see how Hind behaved pre and post the 3 second grab of him watching the game while Rutten was speaking?

It didn't look great, but you could probably selectively edit similar footage from most players in the league if you tried hard enough.

Or Hind could just be a disrespectful prick, who is as bad as the footage makes out, what the hell do I know?

This is what happens when you fill this generations heads with only positive feedback. Teachers are not even allowed to tell them they have failed anything. They do not know how to take any sort of criticism.

And in my day we used to drink WATER from the HO;SE!!!..

Marlo

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Honestly feel like this is a massive beat up. He’d just given away a 50m penalty, he wasn’t gonna look his coach in the eye. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t listening

Could be a beat up. The thing is tho, Hind looks to go out of his way to ignore Rutten's presence. Doesn't even look straight ahead and give his coach an ear. He actively ignores him. Can't even nod his head or mutter some words to show the tiniest bit of acknowledgement. This "he gave away a 50 and was hurting/about to cry" can f*** off to little league under 8s. Jesus. He's a grown ass man.

Zephyr Effekt

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Far be it for me to defend the Bombers, but theres zero context to this footage. Was Hind talking to Rutten while he had his head down? Can we see how Hind behaved pre and post the 3 second grab of him watching the game while Rutten was speaking?

It didn't look great, but you could probably selectively edit similar footage from most players in the league if you tried hard enough.

Or Hind could just be a disrespectful prick, who is as bad as the footage makes out, what the hell do I know?

Hind is a prick on-field and off.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
This is what happens when you fill this generations heads with only positive feedback. Teachers are not even allowed to tell them they have failed anything. They do not know how to take any sort of criticism.
Bullshit. People have had issues with authority figures since Adam and Eve ate the apple.

IIRC, Lillee and Marsh were absolute arseholes to Kim Hughes, for example.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Could be a beat up. The thing is tho, Hind looks to go out of his way to ignore Rutten's presence. Doesn't even look straight ahead and give his coach an ear. He actively ignores him. Can't even nod his head or mutter some words to show the tiniest bit of acknowledgement. This "he gave away a 50 and was hurting/about to cry" can f*** off to little league under 8s. Jesus. He's a grown ass man.
Yep, and he is getting a one on one hand from the senior coach, whose time is a privilege. Get stuffed Nick.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

My partner's daughter was told that she should be happy getting a C and not bother trying any harder. What the absolute *.

Being average is all we aspire to now apparently. Makes the job of the teacher easier if the only requirement on them is to do the bare minimum.

And all the ******* participation awards now. Holy hell.

I would hate to own my own business and want to hire young people.

Back