Remove this Banner Ad

Boomerfan99

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Nuggets
When I started watching AFL in early 90s, every team had a rover. Now that term is barley used anymore and you don't tend to have a little guy in the midfield.

Question for you blokes, is when did the rovers disappear?

Also don't hear the term ruck rover any more.

When I started watching AFL in early 90s, every team had a rover. Now that term is barley used anymore and you don't tend to have a little guy in the midfield.

Question for you blokes, is when did the rovers disappear?

Also don't hear the term ruck rover any more.
Actually ruck-rover has been used recently to describe Blicavs. The players dont have set positions so a rover doesn't really describe a pisition, but really all 6 mids + 3-4 outside mids are rovers in the current structure for at least some of the game.

They still exist, they're just coined 'inside midfielders' now. Just like wingers are outside mids, forward pockets are small forwards, a half back who likes a run and bounce and knows when to take the game on is a 'line breaking defender,' and a centre half back with a solid big kick is a 'quarter back role.' Stupid ******* buzz terms for simple things that have barely changed, but it's in the media's best interest to talk them up like something new and exciting so the media looks insightful and intelligent.

Lachie Neale is short, gets the ball himself, dishes out quick handballs, and waits for the tap from the ruckman. Plenty of other guys play in that traditional role. Tall players like Fyfe, Dangerfield, Bontempelli, Dusty generally just have more strength so they can bust through packs and take the game on a bit more themselves as opposed to giving off handballs and doing more with less.

Players are less pigeonholed in general now.

Also, I think the role is still kind of there, but rover is an unfashionable term and has fallen out of fashion. They're basically what people would call one dimensional inside mids now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back