Query When did the 50m arc come in and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
Does the 50m line have any purpose other than just informatively marking a space?

I can't remember when exactly it was brought in, but I'm guessing in early 90s. Does anyone know? What was the thinking at the time?

I love counting inside 50s as much as the next fan but I can't think of any ground marking in any sport that doesn't serve as a reference point under the rules of the game (the batting crease, penalty box, basketball key, etc). Exception maybe NFL. If so maybe that was what inspired the AFL (not that I'm suggesting the AFL would flagrantly copy from another code. As if.)

I can't remember when exactly it was brought in, but I'm guessing in early 90s. Does anyone know? What was the thinking at the time?
I think it tended to get a run when the 15 metre penalty was increased to a 50 metre penalty some time in mid 1980's.

Certainly this video from 1983 shows Robbie Flower moments into the game take the first mark in forward line around 50 metre arc and kick first goal of the game at Subiaco.

The arc itself made its debut in round 10, 1986 after a 50 metre 'line' - a straight line running parallel to the front edge of the centre square - was seen in round 9.

Round 9, 1986

Round 10, 1986

Obvious follow up question is why were the 50 metre arcs introduced mid-season in 1986 then?

The fields are quite usefull for the players since the lines make it easier to calculate the distance. The Docklands and Casey Fields Stadium were build after the lines became 50m.

TV. There was a debate going on for a while after it happened as to whether it could serve a function rule-wise, but ultimately it just made viewing easier...
Thanks for your reply.
But why 'mid-season' in particular? Seems a strange time to institute this change (but not if you look at today's rule interpretations by the umpires/AFL)!
And if you're aware, what was the general reaction, if any?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting it is listed below on afl site under rule changes even though I cannot see how it actually is a rule of any type.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/rule-changes-1858-2013

Rule changes 1858-2013

Introduction of the two field umpire system.

Interchange player system introduced.
Goal umpires required to touch goal post if the ball had hit post. Also two flags were positioned at one post and one flag at the other to save time when signalling scores.

Introduction of line across centre circle to avoid physical interference at centre bounces. Ruckmen had to stand on the defensive side of the line.
Fifteen-metre penalty extended to include kick-in after behind scoring situations.
Field umpires required to carry notebooks to record details of reportable incidents.

Fifteen metres instead of 10 metres allowed for running with ball without it making contact with the ground.

Fifty-metre arcs in goal areas introduced.

Video investigations for on-field misconduct introduced.

Player awarded free obliged to kick the ball.
Replacement of 15-metre penalty with 50-metre penalty.
Player kicking in from goal-square obliged to clear ball at least two metres from the goalsquare before regaining possession.
Emergency umpires were empowered to report players.

Player awarded free again given option of kick or handpass.

Playing time for a quarter amended to 20 minutes plus time-on instead of 25 minutes plus time-on.
Introduction of third field umpire.
Introduction of third interchange player.
Introduction of third boundary umpire, using rotational interchange system in pairs.

Revised system of adding time-on. Recorded when boundary or goal umpires signal, until the next act of play.
Tripping by hand becomes reportable. Penalty: Free & 50 metres.
Tripping by foot remains reportable. Additional penalty: Free & 50 metres.
Player must kick ball back into play following the scoring of a behind immediately after one warning from field umpire. Penalty for delay: Ball-up on centre of kick-off line.
Player kicking in after a behind is allowed to kick ball clear of hand and foot within the goal-square before playing on.

Obvious follow up question is why were the 50 metre arcs introduced mid-season in 1986 then?

The 50m arc is purely presentation not a "rule change". There was much talk about the presentation of the game w.r.t. television.
A lot of this talk stemmed around viewers being disorientated whilst watching television but it wasn't directed so much at the local market
but the overseas market. In 1987 you had the Foster's Cup being played in Britain, U.S.A and Canada.

It was originally trialled during a WAFL Lightning Carninval in May of 1983 with 25 and 50 m lines. The trial proved so successful especially with the football commentators that it was kept in the WAFL for the rest of the season. The VFL introduced it a few years later.

Attachments

• 1983 08 May 14-15 Emu Export Carnival_2.jpg
    1983 08 May 14-15 Emu Export Carnival_2.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 207
pretry sure it started in WAFL and they had 2 lines a 50m and 25m, a while later VfL took it on but only the 50m .. interesting that blokes didnt kick as far after lines went in .. no more commentator 65m drop punts which were barely 40m : )
Looking at you Malcolm Blight. That kick was only taken from about 55m out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back