When did the VFL overtake the VFA in popularity?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it's AFL reserves, aside from Port and Frankston who unfortunately for them are kind of stuck in no mans land.

I'd like to see a top metro league tried, but the AFL aren't interested. Just somewhere for the old VFA clubs and top suburban clubs (many of whom have outgrown their local league) to play. It'd have to have relegation and promotion with local leagues to remain viable.
The top suburban clubs do not want a metro league. It would cripple them financially. They want local rivalries, not for Vermont to travel to Williamstown. Ditto the old VFA clubs would die without the exposure from playing AFL reserves teams, Most of those teams do not have reserves or juniors. They are barely clubs, just one team representing the past.
No stand alone old VFA teams are likely to make the VFL top 8 this season. My suggestion is that we have two divisions in the VFL - National/reserves and VFA Division. One fixture and play all teams, but separate ladders, two finals series and two premiers. No play-off between divisions.
From the six VFA clubs you have a top 4 finals series and a Victorian Premier. The 14 reserves/combos plus Southport and Tassie play a final 8.

The top suburban clubs do not want a metro league. It would cripple them financially. They want local rivalries, not for Vermont to travel to Williamstown. Ditto the old VFA clubs would die without the exposure from playing AFL reserves teams, Most of those teams do not have reserves or juniors. They are barely clubs, just one team representing the past.
No stand alone old VFA teams are likely to make the VFL top 8 this season. My suggestion is that we have two divisions in the VFL - National/reserves and VFA Division. One fixture and play all teams, but separate ladders, two finals series and two premiers. No play-off between divisions.
From the six VFA clubs you have a top 4 finals series and a Victorian Premier. The 14 reserves/combos plus Southport and Tassie play a final 8.
Sounds OK much better than the lopsided bastardised comp that is the so called VFL is ATM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back