When did you genuinely start to believe that Melbourne could win the premiership?

Remove this Banner Ad

King Kunta

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
When did you genuinely start to believe that Melbourne could win the premiership?

I know for some, the moment probably didn't come until the final quarter of the Grand Final.

For others, the comeback win against the Cats in Round 23 was the statement that ultimately convinced them that we were capable.

Personally, I felt the Richmond win was significant despite being relatively early in the season. Big occasion against a strong side and they were all over us early. Not only did we wrestle back the momentum, we completely shut them out of the game after quarter time. I came away from that daring to believe that we could be good enough.

After Richmond round 6 I thought we could win it

After the Dogs/Lions wins in the middle of the year, I thought we would win it

For me round 8 I remember feeling pretty stunned that we were 8-0 then the following round I we were about 27 points up at 3 qt I remember thinking we aren't losing this, I just had so much confidence in this team. We had that mid year slump but that finish to the season I really started to dream again.

Could? After the Geelong win I had a feeling we could beat Richmond, and put ourselves firmly in contention. Needed that Richmond win to be sure though.

Brisbane win in R12 was when I started to believe we would do it, and never really wavered from there. Truly such a fun season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The comeback against Geelong showed that our best footy is unstoppable, Geelong were stunned with no answers, felt pretty confident from then. I think the nature of our wins this season though, coming from behind to get the result, a strong defence - was very unlike previous Melbourne sides, something just felt different. What a wild ride.

The Brisbane win in round 12

We had beaten every top team comfortably and that game we had to dig deep and play unbelievable to get up. That second half was as good as anyone had played all year against a top team.

That gave me confidence not to be too concerned when we went through a down patch of 5-6 weeks later on

Plus looking at the other teams around us, none seemed like a step up compared to us

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Tiges, Dogs 1st time around, Bris were all great games where it felt like we were in with a shot of going the whole way.

Cats game in R23 was when I thought it was our time to win the whole thing. I was remarkably calm going into every final (which I never thought would happen).

Was walking around the MCG on GF day without a care in the world. Just excited to see what we would do. I did feel sick down to my guts at half time though!

The mid year lions and bulldogs wins had us right in the mix but you really need to finish top 4 to win it, so I needed to see us lock that in first. That probably wasn’t until after the West Coast #lightninggate win. That then made the final game against the cats of little consequence.

I believe it when I see it too, so 3qtr time in the GF I thought we just needed 2 last qtr goals to seal it.

It’s pretty fun to think back now.

Remember when Brown and Weid were sidelined in preseason until ~round 6/7 and we were relying on 2020 version TMac and developing Jackson to lead our forward line. A common thought was that getting to round 6 at 3-3 would be a good result…..we’d only lose 4 games for the whole season.

It’s pretty fun to think back now.

Remember when Brown and Weid were sidelined in preseason until ~round 6/7 and we were relying on 2020 version TMac and developing Jackson to lead our forward line. A common thought was that getting to round 6 at 3-3 would be a good result…..we’d only lose 4 games for the whole season.
Yeah and when Weid & Brown went down the media were saying we were ****ed

Then by round 5-0 with the same players out injured the same media nuffs were saying we had no inhuries

Coming into the season I thought we'd either finish Top 4 or sack Goodwin.

A few tweaks needed here and there but IMO our biggest problem was we were mentally soft- we'd consistently failed to get up for big games and drop games we should have won at critical moments. About ten minutes into the Round 11 game against the Dogs I thought we'd overcome that, and once the siren sounded I blew the lid right off.

Almost had a mental breakdown when Bont kicked his third in the granny tho, until then I just hadn't even conceived that losing was even possible. Honestly don't know how I would have coped if we'd lost lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back