When did you start board gaming?

Remove this Banner Ad

When I was about 10 or 11 (mid eighties), before my older cousin started attempting to molest me, he used to let me play his war games. Avalon Hill stuff mostly. After the attempted molestation, I stole several of the games and would play them solo or sometimes I'd manage to convince a friend to give it a go (minus my cousin's "special rules"). I also stole all his D&D books.

By the time I was 17 or so, most of my attention went to basketball, rap music and boobs and the board games collected dust for a decade or two and I'm just getting back into it again now.

Can't believe I glossed over this story.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In primary school I loved Hero Quest, Space Crusade and Battle Masters. Still own all three in decent condition. Attempted to paint some Space Crusade miniatures back in the day though ... Will have to get some paint remover or something at some point :$ Still own a bunch of games and expansions from that era too. They form the bulk of my collection still, along with the usual suspects (Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit etc).

During high school a bunch of us would play Magic: The Gathering at lunch times like the nerds we are. Videogames largely took over from here though.

Warhammer and Warhammer 40k always looked amazing but it was always too expensive and I can't paint. I do read a lot of the fiction though, like the Horus Heresy series. Love it. And the Dawn of War games. But I avoid the actual tabletop stuff.

Looking to get back into board gaming now that I'm in my 30s. I got the absolutely epic Star Wars: Rebellion for Christmas and played my first game yesterday. Was awesome :D Definitely got the itch again. The only downside is that I live a fair distance away from my board game playing friends, so that makes anything that can't be played with only 2 players difficult :(

Monopoly 1967 at age 6, Chutes and Ladders didn't cut it. More Lego's. RPG: saw a tunnels and trolls Dad wouldn't buy it, then parents bought D&D box set in search of the unknown for my sister in 1975. Oh and Net trek on the HP-67 and 97. Had been trying to get in on the Diplomacy games with parents but couldn't. Into the Navy 1980 my first computers and some of the games nobodies has heard of them. As a sophomore in HS 1978 built a Monopoly simulator, 5% simulator, 95% d6 die roller in Dartmouth Basic.

Monopoly 1967 at age 6, Chutes and Ladders didn't cut it. More Lego's. RPG: saw a tunnels and trolls Dad wouldn't buy it, then parents bought D&D box set in search of the unknown for my sister in 1975. Oh and Net trek on the HP-67 and 97. Had been trying to get in on the Diplomacy games with parents but couldn't. Into the Navy 1980 my first computers and some of the games nobodies has heard of them. As a sophomore in HS 1978 built a Monopoly simulator, 5% simulator, 95% d6 die roller in Dartmouth Basic.
Welcome to the board :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My wife and I about 10 years ago went on a run of buying the deluxe versions of games like Scrabble and Monopoly, Yahtzee etc which we played a fair bit but they eventually wound up in the back of a cupboard at the holiday house. When we moved into our new house about three years ago we didn't have foxtel, or internet for a while so they got dusted off, and we bought The Walking Dead board game, which was OK. It triggered off a search for new games, different themes etc. Ticket To Ride really set the hobby off for us though.

The further we stretched away from the known games and into different titles, kickstarter projects etc the better the games got IMO. We like the abstract, puzzle type ones the most. Azul and Alhambra get played frequently.

The further we stretched away from the known games and into different titles, kickstarter projects etc the better the games got IMO. We like the abstract, puzzle type ones the most. Azul and Alhambra get played frequently.

Azul is amazing, will probably win board game of the year in Germany.

Try Sagrada as well, new copies just go released. Also fantastic. Also Century Spice Road. All straightforward but fascinating like Azul.

As the youngest of 5 I was introduced to games like Stock Market and Squatter, we never had an English version of Monopoly - but had a round board Danish version called Matador. My older brothers played games like Diplomacy, and the "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire", I got into Feudal and Campaign. And in the '80s we got introduced to the (classic) 2nd Edition of Talisman. I really liked it. When I got to Uni I started acquiring my own including expansions. I never got "Dragons" but got Timescape, and City and Dungeon.

What I always wanted to do was to do it as a 3D diorama of sorts. Lego provided that opportunity - especially once the collectible minifigs came out including things like a Minotaur. Other themes like Monster Fighters, Harry Potter, LOTR, Hobbit, Castles/Kingdoms and even Nexo Knights and NinJago offer many minifigs that either transform directly or provide the vital elements. It's more fun when your character buys or finds a helmet or sword or suit of armor and you can actually put it on them.

Anyway - had a fairly basic diorama-playable board on display at Melbourne's Brickvention Jan 2017 (see flickr album here). Working on Mark II which will be improved as a diorama and hoping to include the City expansion board. Cool fun bringing board games to 'life' but still being a board game at heart and not a digital version.

In primary school I loved Hero Quest, Space Crusade and Battle Masters. Still own all three in decent condition. Attempted to paint some Space Crusade miniatures back in the day though ... Will have to get some paint remover or something at some point :$ Still own a bunch of games and expansions from that era too. They form the bulk of my collection still, along with the usual suspects (Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit etc).

During high school a bunch of us would play Magic: The Gathering at lunch times like the nerds we are. Videogames largely took over from here though.

Warhammer and Warhammer 40k always looked amazing but it was always too expensive and I can't paint. I do read a lot of the fiction though, like the Horus Heresy series. Love it. And the Dawn of War games. But I avoid the actual tabletop stuff.

Looking to get back into board gaming now that I'm in my 30s. I got the absolutely epic Star Wars: Rebellion for Christmas and played my first game yesterday. Was awesome :D Definitely got the itch again. The only downside is that I live a fair distance away from my board game playing friends, so that makes anything that can't be played with only 2 players difficult :(

Hero Quest!

I went to a gaming convention a few years back and found and bought some second hand pre-painted miniatures, purely for nostalgia (seeing as I don’t have a board anymore).

Hero Quest!

I went to a gaming convention a few years back and found and bought some second hand pre-painted miniatures, purely for nostalgia (seeing as I don’t have a board anymore).

A young fella exhibited his Lego Hero Quest at Brickvention in Melbourne Jan just gone - (he'd been inspired by my Lego Talisman 2 years earlier). Another fellow has been doing Lego D&D. I've got Hero Quest and Space Crusade in the cupboard - (SC mostly painted) - would like to do an SC in Lego but it's less of a big deal, the miniatures already are adaptable (weapons of choice including the Dreadnought) - whereas the Lego-isation of a game like Talisman works on so many levels that the miniatures just can't.

A young fella exhibited his Lego Hero Quest at Brickvention in Melbourne Jan just gone - (he'd been inspired by my Lego Talisman 2 years earlier). Another fellow has been doing Lego D&D. I've got Hero Quest and Space Crusade in the cupboard - (SC mostly painted) - would like to do an SC in Lego but it's less of a big deal, the miniatures already are adaptable (weapons of choice including the Dreadnought) - whereas the Lego-isation of a game like Talisman works on so many levels that the miniatures just can't.

Sounds like a great idea... this is like vampire-sailors, each on their own is cool, but when you put the two together you get a much better product.

The only problem I can see is if a player puts a space helmet on a lego figurine who’s head hole (foramen magnum) is a bit too large for the neck. Then there’s going to be issues and tears trying to get that space helmet off that head... I’ve been there.

A very basic but fun game. Panic. Used to play it as kids and still do now. Came across a complete set in an op shop for $5 few months ago. Basically draw a card, have 20 sec timer counting down. Rattle off 3 vegetables that are green etc and then stop the timer when you do it and that's your score. The best thing about it is seeing people panic and struggle under the pressure. Probably best to play with kids. IMG_20231226_175017.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back