When does Goodwin come under pressure?

Remove this Banner Ad

Media probably just waiting for Buckley to be sacked. It can only focus on destroying one coach at a time.

I reckon Goodwin has been desperately unlucky with the injuries to Gawn and Hogan (poor guy). Structurally that's losing the two most irreplaceable guys. They have a really talented list, with a great contested midfield. Then losing Spencer on top of Gawn, well if you don't think it makes a difference just look at Port Adelaide this year compared to when they were playing Trengove in the ruck.

I still think Melbourne can push for finals as it looks like Gawn will be back in a few rounds time but they do need to keep touch with the 8 because they aren't so good that they can come from a mile back. I do think this year would be regarded as a bit of a waste if they don't play finals. If they were to finish 10th - everyone will be like "Same old Melbourne".
I believe they are better than that but they need to show it.
I think if we don't make it this year next year we will be top 4. We have the list for it. I still think if we seriously start playing four quarters week in week out, we can make it this year. Like Richmond, the fade outs are killing us.

Does he train them into the ground? North were definitely switched on more than the Demons last week. IMO, he is trying to turn them into something they're not. They need more grunt, but i think they are mistakenly taking that and are undisciplined upon action. The Demons are a good team on the way up, i liken them a lot to the rise of the Dogs, gee they wouldn't want to lose this week though!
Not sure what his training philosophies are like. I reckon the grunt is there in patches, it's just the fade outs during the game or not coming to play in the first quarter and playing catch up.

North are a bit better than their ladder position suggests.

Lobbe is as much a genuine ruckman as Neade is, a truly awful player. He didn't even play when we had no one else, we played Trengove instead. Schulz was injured (back) not dropped.

Why does Melbourne on have one ruck on their list?
Max Gawn and Jake Spencer are both injured. Spencer was a handy replacement for Gawn but then did his shoulder.
We also have a 19 year old Mitch King who is 201cm tall and has played 5 VFL games after coming back from a knee reco last year. Then on the rookie list there Lachie Filipovic who is a skinny beanpole ruckman whos been playing development league.

Underperforming but injuries have really hit them.

Having to play Weideman FF who's not ready for senior football yet hurt them on the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing Melbourne are 5-5 despite not even going close to a full four-quarter effort all year.
To be fair I reckon the Adelaide game was a four quarter effort. Probably only outplayed for 15 mins in the second. So technically you could say it wasn't four quarters but does any team play 100% of a game. It's rare.

Amazing Melbourne are 5-5 despite not even going close to a full four-quarter effort all year.
I don't know if this is good or bad for us to be honest. At least we haven't been thrashed I suppose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back