When have you been most optimistic/pessimistic as a Melbourne supporter?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2006
This is the location section. 🤗
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm feeling pretty good after last night!

Around 2011, though, I was really optimistic, and thought we had great things coming. Smashing Sydney at the 'G - that was probably the peak of it. Thankfully, it all went splendidly to plan after that, and we can all now rejoice in our many recent premierships. 🥳

As for most pessimistic, 2012-2013 was probably the worst of it in recent memory, which I imagine would be similar for many posters here.

How about all of you?

I'm feeling pretty good after last night!

Around 2011, though, I was really optimistic, and thought we had great things coming. Smashing Sydney at the 'G - that was probably the peak of it. Thankfully, it all went splendidly to plan after that, and we can all now rejoice in our many recent premierships. 🥳

As for most pessimistic, 2012-2013 was probably the worst of it in recent memory, which I imagine would be similar for many posters here.

How about all of you?
About round 10, 2004 when we were top of the ladder. Had we beaten the Eagles at the G we would have been clear top and a premiership chance. We couldn't and collapsed.

Pessimistic well all of Neelds time

About round 10, 2004 when we were top of the ladder. Had we beaten the Eagles at the G we would have been clear top and a premiership chance. We couldn't and collapsed.

Really good call. I remember being at that game and being really excited prior for the reasons you've mentioned.

The 2004-2006 period was a huge missed opportunity.

EDIT: Far out, I think we were 14-4 in 2004.

Really good call. I remember being at that game and being really excited prior for the reasons you've mentioned.

The 2004-2006 period was a huge missed opportunity.

EDIT: Far out, I think we were 14-4 in 2004.

Yep and lost 5 straight there on which culminated in the last time Essendon won a final

Yep and lost 5 straight there on which culminated in the last time Essendon won a final

Missed the top four by a game and percentage after losing the last four H&A, yeah. Outstanding.

I think Topkent's West Coast game was in 2005. We lost by 15 points.

Missed the top four by a game and percentage after losing the last four H&A, yeah. Outstanding.

I think Topkent's West Coast game was in 2005. We lost by 15 points.
Ashley Sampi hanger where Yze pushed him into the stratosphere.
I remember actually being shitty as a kid because I thought ooze should get some credit.

2013 felt like it could have been the death throws of the club. But once the AFL bailed us out and Jackson and Roos came on board I was way more optimistic.

Most optimistic: Probably when John Northey was coaching us in the late 80s and early 90s, I was young and wet behind the ears, had a lot to learn.

Most pessimistic: The past 12 or so years. Feel its easier to shitcan almost everything we do. 80% chance of being right.

The last time I was this excited was the 20 minute mark first quarter round 1 2019, then pessimism set in. Then last night Jones kicked that goal off the ground in the 1st, instead of the usual Melbourne trying to pick up the ball resulting in a series of comedic errors and a goal for the opposition. At that moment I knew we were going to win, and I'm optimistic again.

Optimistic: 1998 finals series after smashing the crows, then the saints. Only to realise that because of the finals system at the time even though all the bottom 4 teams lost the crows who we had smashed got the double chance and we had to end up playing north in a prelim. So my peak optimism didn't last long. We beat the eventual premiers a fortnight earlier and had no right to even still be in the finals let alone win the damn flag.

Pessimistic: Neeld.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember going to the 2000 prelim against North when I was like 11 years old and just felt absolutely calm and knew we'd win it, and we did easily. Start of 2019 I also sadly felt optimistic but we all know how that went.

Pessimism peaked during the Neeld years, stopped going to the footy because it was just too rough to watch, but actually felt more calm during the season because I was totally un-invested in us, which is why the Goodwin years have been much harder.

Won't be genuinely optimistic again until we've sown up a home final, but I am feeling quietly confident after last night.

Optimistic - walking out of the G after the Geelong final in 2018. Didn't expect to win the flag, but felt like if we didn't win that year, we'd do it in the next 2. Also special mention to that Sydney game back in 2011/12, we were on fire and teams just didn't do that to Roos' Swans.

Pessimistic - walking out of 186 knowing that we were going to sack Bails and start ANOTHER rebuild

2006 we had a really good team but dropped games to wooden spooner Carlton twice and cost ourselves top 4. Huge missed opportunity with an ageing team.
In a year that we were pretty decent at the ‘G, top four would have been huge. Having to play our first two home games away from the ‘G and only having 11 games at the MCG all year (because of the Commonwealth games) didn’t help either.

The Sydney game was late 2010. Remember watching that and thinking finals was a certainty in 2011/12. 2012/13 was most pessimistic. Really thought the club might die altogether.

2018 was optimistic after the WC win to make finals. Felt we'd win the EF and be good for a few years, but alas, the pessimism returned.

Optimistic, 3/4 time of semi final vs Adelaide. Thought we were going to run over them, and set up a prelim against Collingwood and who knows what could have been.

Pessimistic- neeld years. I was actually pretty disappointed when they appointed Bailey in front of Sheedy. I will always think Sheedy could have built our supporter base up, think we needed that outspoken type of personality in the club at that time. But those neeld years were pure despondence.

Most Pessimistic definitely last year - just felt like 2 years of wasted opportunity, ineptitude and weakness. I think that's why last night was so pleasing
Most optimistic: 94/98/00/04-06: Back then i really believed the experts were always wrong and every game was winnable.

Pessimistic - walking out of 186 knowing that we were going to sack Bails and start ANOTHER rebuild

Was at that game too, so strange walking out, didn't even get mad which is my usual go to MFC reaction, was just depressingly numb and quiet.

2005 - This year scarred me.

After years of up and down finishes. 2004 I felt we had turned the corner and would be consistent final team particularly with finds like Davey, picking up Beamer, Bruce becoming a top 10 mid and looking Brownlow bound. After that Geelong friday night win the train was off.

nek minute round 4 Bruce gets taken out and we get flogged by the saints by 50 points.

we clocked in wins into the middle of the season than the wheels fell off again. needing to win our last 3 games which we did and go down in Melbourne folklore. 1 point, 4, 10 against good opposition. The script was written

nek minute Geelong give us a thumping in the elim final.

2005 - This year scarred me.

After years of up and down finishes. 2004 I felt we had turned the corner and would be consistent final team particularly with finds like Davey, picking up Beamer, Bruce becoming a top 10 mid and looking Brownlow bound. After that Geelong friday night win the train was off.

nek minute round 4 Bruce gets taken out and we get flogged by the saints by 50 points.

we clocked in wins into the middle of the season than the wheels fell off again. needing to win our last 3 games which we did and go down in Melbourne folklore. 1 point, 4, 10 against good opposition. The script was written

nek minute Geelong give us a thumping in the elim final.
Jeff white gets his head ******* caved in by Steven King.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back