Society/Culture When is racism really racism?

Remove this Banner Ad

Racism is such a charged term. A better question would be "when is racism a problem?"

"But it's always a problem. Racist!" Many would say.

I've seen racism defined as "the belief that a particular race of people are better or worse at something due to the genetic factors of their race". There is plenty of evidence to support this. It's when you use facts or data about the general case to make assumptions about individuals that you start to be doing the wrong thing.

I don't think you'd be out of line saying, for example, that at the elite level, black people are better at running and white people are better at swimming.

You would be out of line though, if you were a sports coach and choose a team or potential candidates to train based on assumptions drawn from an individual's race.

I am pretty well over racism. I'm boycotting it from here on in.

The world will eventually eradicate racism without my having to listen to the absolute crap both side have now starting resorting to.
I'm pretty sure apes don't even eat bananas so the link it a false assumption to begin with. Some monkeys do but these idiots need to get their facts straight before they get offended false assumption and urban myth they happily assume are true for their own benefit.

On a lighter note while in Melbourne recently I actually saw a gentleman slip on a banana peel on Elizabeth St.

Does this qualify?

22814505_10155894919333556_1030491136595209994_n.jpg

Does this qualify?

22814505_10155894919333556_1030491136595209994_n.jpg

Not if he works in a bakery.

In academic circles, there's a thing called 'new racism', which is where you deliberately ignore all aspects of race in any given situation.

Logic eh? Who needs it?

Ah yes, the Law....Who said it's blind then eh?

Racism is only racism when white people say it is... which is only when a racial remark is made against them, because apparently white people aren't racist anymore. I was totally imagining things when some guy I know said, "I wouldn't talk to you if you were black." and some other guy before him said his friend came back from Carnarvon as a racist because "of the things they get away with".

When a group of African Americans start a group/hate movement with race/hate as their sole purpose for uniting. Not to mention going as far as singling out another human race and waging war against it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ive always been curious with the Michael long Damien monkhurst incident, Anzac day hard game of footy, I think longy came in a bit late with his knees and an irate ruckman called him a black C, which longy is black and as far as monkey was concerned at the time he was a C***, end result monkey labelled as a racist and longy makes a career out of being a racisim crusader now if monkey had been called a white C he couldn't care less even though he would probably like a dollar every time he was called a dumb or ugly C I heard an indigenous bloke once say that incident was no big deal the problem used to be fathers yelling out racial abuse in front of their kids and they then see that as the norm which is a terrible thing, any thoughts?

ive always been curious with the Michael long Damien monkhurst incident, Anzac day hard game of footy, I think longy came in a bit late with his knees and an irate ruckman called him a black C, which longy is black and as far as monkey was concerned at the time he was a C***, end result monkey labelled as a racist and longy makes a career out of being a racisim crusader now if monkey had been called a white C he couldn't care less even though he would probably like a dollar every time he was called a dumb or ugly C I heard an indigenous bloke once say that incident was no big deal the problem used to be fathers yelling out racial abuse in front of their kids and they then see that as the norm which is a terrible thing, any thoughts?
If a campaigner is being a campaigner, just call him a campaigner, that's all you need to do.

Spur of the moment thing and no material difference between calling someone a black C, a white C, a dumb C or ugly C.

Seems like a timely bump. The concept of racism has definitely expanded in recent years.

Once upon a time, racism was simply the belief that one group of people were inferior because of their race. And you'd see this expressed in various ways, from explicit vilification to more subtle or even casual discrimination.

Now, the new creed of Anti-Racism appears to define racism as any system or outcome where there is some racial disparity, whether race is the causal factor in that or not. The new creed of Anti-Racism can identify White Supremacy everywhere. Indeed, Western society has White Supremacy baked into it, so Western society is therefore racist fundamentally. I'm not sure what the solution to that should be? Remake all of Western society so it's less fundamentally racist? That may in fact be the objective. Although it's not clear how that would happen or how we would know when/whether this project has succeeded or not.

This of course disregards the notion that Western society in 2021 is probably the least racist place in human history. I'm not sure there's ever been a better time or place to be a racial minority. That's not to say racism doesn't exist - and clearly Australia's indigenous population is still deeply disadvantaged - but surely Western society has grown less racist rather than more racist? Although you'd never know it if you read Woke Twitter.

I often wonder, when people say Western society (be it Australia, US, UK) is racist, what are they comparing it to? Are they comparing it to some country in the past? Are they comparing it to some other country in 2021? Or to an ideal where racism simply doesn't exist?

I mean, Japan has an immigration policy that has kept the country 98 per cent ethnically pure. How many minorities do you reckon are on the boards of Japanese companies or in Japanese parliament?

Elsewhere, there are 2.5 million Palestinians who are legal citizens of Israel but are nonetheless denied voting rights.

So within the developed world, who are the real racists?

We hear a lot about Western societies being racist - China loves to point out Australian racism without reflecting on its own - but perhaps we're grading it on a curve because these Western societies actually proclaim to be interested in multiculturalism and diviersity. Western societies have set a standard for themselves that they don't always meet whereas many other countries don't even pretend to want that. But if we're talking about active discrimination along racial lines, I'm not sure Western societies should be at the top of the list.

Last edited:
Seems like a timely bump. The concept of racism has definitely expanded in recent years.

Once upon a time, racism was simply the belief that one group of people were inferior because of their race. And you'd see this expressed in various ways, from explicit vilification to more subtle or even casual discrimination.

Now, the new creed of Anti-Racism appears to define racism as any system or outcome where there is some racial disparity, whether race is the causal factor in that or not. The new creed of Anti-Racism can identify White Supremacy everywhere. Indeed, Western society has White Supremacy baked into it, so Western society is therefore racist fundamentally. I'm not sure what the solution to that should be? Remake all of Western society so it's less fundamentally racist? That may in fact be the objective. Although it's not clear how that would happen or how we would know when/whether this project has succeeded or not.

This of course disregards the notion that Western society in 2021 is probably the least racist place in human history. I'm not sure there's ever been a better time or place to be a racial minority. That's not to say racism doesn't exist - and clearly Australia's indigenous population is still deeply disadvantaged - but surely Western society has grown less racist rather than more racist? Although you'd never know it if you read Woke Twitter.

I often wonder, when people say Western society (be it Australia, US, UK) is racist, what are they comparing it to? Are they comparing it to some country in the past? Are they comparing it to some other country in 2021? Or to an ideal where racism simply doesn't exist?

I mean, Japan has an immigration policy that has kept the country 98 per cent ethnically pure. How many minorities do you reckon are on the boards of Japanese companies or in Japanese parliament?

Elsewhere, there are 2.5 million Palestinians who are legal citizens of Israel but are nonetheless denied voting rights.

So within the developed world, who are the real racists?

We hear a lot about Western societies being racist - China loves to point out Australian racism without reflecting on its own - but perhaps we're grading it on a curve because these Western societies actually proclaim to be interested in multiculturalism and diviersity. Western societies have set a standard for themselves that they don't always meet whereas many other countries don't even pretend to want that. But if we're talking about active discrimination along racial lines, I'm not sure Western societies should be at the top of the list.

That's wonderful sweetie. You've had a good think about an issue and come up with a very independent perspective. Congratulations. Just the 8 questions too.

I think the definition of racism needs to brought into contemporary times, and should include any group the feels hate of another group and acts on it violently. That might expand the field of who is racist in answer to 1 of them.

I think the definition of racism needs to brought into contemporary times, and should include any group the feels hate of another group and acts on it violently. That might expand the field of who is racist in answer to 1 of them.
Huh? Pretty sure violent racism has always been considered racism.

Can you string a sentence together, champ?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back