Society/Culture When is racism really racism?

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
So how should these problems be addressed if we refuse to acknowledge race as a factor?

I will answer properly to your point.

I agree you can’t just ignore racial factors, as how can you solve problems which predominantly effect individual racial groups or genders. If you tried to just pretend everyone was the same you’d be burying your head in the sand on aboriginal issues here, African Americans in the US etc.

Now my example and others (banana thrown into tree when man couldn’t find a bin) being seen as racist, are just stupid and don’t help anyone.

I think we veered too far as a society onto trying to assume everyone is the same 25-30 years ago, and to get us to the point where we are truly more equal we need to target specific issues and their causes.

Overall though, if we make socially as a whole more equal, racism will be less. The more unequal a society, more racism and unrest (like the US).

Ben The Donkey

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think you've summarised it pretty accurately but that summary invites certain questions.

In your own words, what chance would Israel have if it were truly democratic? What word would you use to describe such a state?

Are you saying that Israel needs systemic racism to exist/function? Should we defend ethno-states for their own sake?

People asked the same question about apartheid South Africa. If it was democratic, what would happen? We know what happened. Was that a bad outcome?

But nah. Israel = Amazing. Gotta support it 100 per cent.

Do you think international law should be observed?
Apart from endless conflict what's the alternative?
I don't even agree it is systemic racism. Israel is too big a subject to address in any serious manner here, though.
Read about the Lieberman plan, and where the main opposition is coming from.

As for "International Law", SJ, I don't have any particular faith in it.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
The recent shootings in Atlanta have highlighted the peculiar tension between Asian-Americans and African-Americans.

Some folks are calling for solidarity between racial minorities allied against white supremacy. But others, presumably sympathetic to the cause of BLM, aren't having it, arguing instead that Asians are just as racist against black folks as the white supremacists and therefore haven't earned solidarity or support.

Check out the replies to this tweet...

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Worth pointing out that the cop leading the police department investigating the crimes in Atlanta, who downplayed the racial element of the crimes, has previously posted on social media about how the virus came from Chy-Na.

So yeah. Some of those that work forces.....

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
Worth pointing out that the cop leading the police department investigating the crimes in Atlanta, who downplayed the racial element of the crimes, has previously posted on social media about how the virus came from Chy-Na.

The virus did come from China. The CCP thought it was a good idea to cover it up.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
The virus did come from China. The CCP thought it was a good idea to cover it up.

Rednecks in the US are shooting and punching Koreans, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, because they can't tell the difference and blaming people who live in the US for something the Communist Party did as if the people living in the US had anything at all to do with it.

THAT's the danger of labelling the virus as "Chinese" with a party as openly racist as Trump's GOP.

Fryman

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2006
Springfield
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red Sox
Rednecks in the US are shooting and punching Koreans, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, because they can't tell the difference and blaming people who live in the US for something the Communist Party did as if the people living in the US had anything at all to do with it.

THAT's the danger of labelling the virus as "Chinese" with a party as openly racist as Trump's GOP.
Imagine looking at this data and concluding ‘rednecks’ were the problem.
0D6659B0-9125-4F46-B6A4-55D077BB8357.png

It certainly makes a mockery of how much time organisations like the ADL and the SPLC spend policing and prosecuting white people for racism doesn't it.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
This piece about Ibram X. Kendi talks about "redefining racism" like that's something to be promoted?

It makes explicit the point that the definition of "racism" has been deliberately broadened by activists who have a vested interest in doing so.

That's the criticism but this piece trumpets it like it's a wonderful achievement.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers

The "bad day" comment is being taken completely out of context and it's giving me the shits how it seemingly won't go away, and that large media outlets are refusing to correct their shitty takes on it.

The police spokesperson was clearly relating info that the shooter had given investigators and was discussing the state of mind of the shooter. There's nothing more to it than that. The cop doing the press conference may be a closet racist or homophobe or shopping-trolley-non-returner, but that's irrelevant to what was said. Anything for clicks I suppose.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
The "bad day" comment is being taken completely out of context and it's giving me the shits how it seemingly won't go away, and that large media outlets are refusing to correct their shitty takes on it.

The police spokesperson was clearly relating info that the shooter had given investigators and was discussing the state of mind of the shooter. There's nothing more to it than that. The cop doing the press conference may be a closet racist or homophobe or shopping-trolley-non-returner, but that's irrelevant to what was said. Anything for clicks I suppose.
Silly Shandog, providing context is for bigots and rednecks. Reminds me of the Trump "fine people on both sides" comment, where most of the unwashed have never read his comments immediately following that one.

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans

Come on stick to the narrative. All violence is driven by white supremacy or is the product of white supremacy. Never mind that white majority modern societies are the least racist societies in history.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Silly Shandog, providing context is for bigots and rednecks. Reminds me of the Trump "fine people on both sides" comment, where most of the unwashed have never read his comments immediately following that one.

Here's the full context. Contrast that with other mass-shootings. The guy gets taken into custody and is shown human empathy. Contrast this with descriptions of people police have killed, such as George Floyd or Eric Garner.

It seems if you commit a mass murder in the US, the poilce can empathise. But if you're killed by police, then every effort is made to avoid empathy and cast blame on the victim.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Oxford University considers ‘decolonising’ music syllabus to make it less ‘white... - Classic FM

One of the world’s leading universities is hoping to “decolonise” its degree-level music offering and enhance the diversity of the undergraduate curriculum.

In documents seen by The Telegraph, academics from the University of Oxford have proposed a lighter focus on Euro-American elite music, “arising from international Black Lives Matter demonstrations”.

Academics said they want to address the “white hegemony” in Oxford’s music syllabus, and to better represent other forms of music.

Possible changes to undergraduate courses include reducing the focus on canonic classical composers like Mozart and Beethoven, in a proposed move away from “white European music from the slave period”.

It was reported that professors questioning the music curriculum’s “complicity in white supremacy” also proposed a lighter focus on western music notation, allegedly described in the documents as a “colonialist representational system”.

Western staff notation, which has become the most internationally accepted musical language, is one of the fundamental components of the western classical tradition in music. Notation, meanwhile, has developed over time and varies widely between cultures.

However, the music faculty denies any proposals to remove western notation from its curriculum.

"White supremacy" used to be a term most would identify with young skinheads with bad Hitler moustaches. Now this phrase is thrown around everywhere, even to justify changes in something as innocent as amendments in music curriculum.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood

Here's the full context. Contrast that with other mass-shootings. The guy gets taken into custody and is shown human empathy. Contrast this with descriptions of people police have killed, such as George Floyd or Eric Garner.

It seems if you commit a mass murder in the US, the poilce can empathise. But if you're killed by police, then every effort is made to avoid empathy and cast blame on the victim.
m8 he was asked a question and relayed what the investigators had told him, per your link.

As Shandog said, this officer may be a racist who beats up puppies for all we know, but the social media outrage over him simply relaying information from others is not enough on its own for the left to be grabbing their pitchforks over.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
m8 he was asked a question and relayed what the investigators had told him, per your link.

As Shandog said, this officer may be a racist who beats up puppies for all we know, but the social media outrage over him simply relaying information from others is not enough on its own for the left to be grabbing their pitchforks over.

The point is that police would never say this about somebody they were trying to demonize, as they do with suspects or victims of poilce brutality. They're good at staying on-script when they want to.

"The Public are asked to be on the lookout for escaped convict Joe Bloggs who is armed, dangerous and having a very bad day"

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
The point is that police would never say this about somebody they were trying to demonize, as they do with suspects or victims of poilce brutality. They're good at staying on-script when they want to.

"The Public are asked to be on the lookout for escaped convict Joe Bloggs who is armed, dangerous and having a very bad day"
You're gonna be really upset then when you look up the inspiration behind The Boomtown Rats's "I don't like Mondays".

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
"White supremacy" used to be a term most would identify with young skinheads with bad Hitler moustaches. Now this phrase is thrown around everywhere, even to justify changes in something as innocent as amendments in music curriculum.
Not really clear to me from the blog post you quoted who used the term "white supremacy"...

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn

it is also the problem of society in general.. we have been allowed to air our grievances and everything else as well]]

I kind of like it, it is nothing to be totally surprised with.. as long as guns and knives are not involved.. obvious hey

Back