Roast When is the club going to act?

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL are so confusing in the laws they introduce that interpreting and applying them in a split second is difficult sometimes. The game is so fast and the umpires are instructed to keep the game moving so by definition does that mean let little things go so not to stop the game? The AFL are not going to come out and say we will ignore little things like throws, dropping the ball in a pack to keep the game moving are they? So who is left to apply the mess the AFL have built over the last 20 years of meddling with the rules? Yep the bloody umpires.

Seeking clarification is always a good thing from the Umpire dept as it builds a good relationship between us and that's how it should be done. No bitching and moaning just professionalism please.

By the way that's from the club's point of view, you and the rest of the posters on here can whinge and moan all you like :p

I understand that mate, but how do you explain such one sided interpretations of the rules for nigh on 70 minutes of football?

It was extraordinary.

I must have watched North play more than 500 games and at least another hundred other games live, and that exhibition was off the charts.

I understand that mate, but how do you explain such one sided interpretations of the rules for nigh on 70 minutes of football?

It was extraordinary.

I must have watched North play more than 500 games and at least another hundred other games live, and that exhibition was off the charts.

It was putrid no doubt and I let out a couple of dismayed expletives at the time but on the replay they were just s**t overall.

Do people really believe the umpires and/or the AFL cheated? Come on!

Yes the Umps had a bad day but they missed heaps for the Lions too. The fact that Brown requires so much attention from the opposition allowed us to kick 140 points with 14 different goal kickers.

So now what Geelong, restrict Brown with numbers or not?

I couldn't give a s**t if Brown kicks a goal or not as long we use it to our advantage like we did today.

I'd rather we focus on how well this team is performing and Scott's ability to change things up mid game where an issue is occurring.

**** the umps and the AFL and Go Roos

Nothing like a good conspiracy theory. Donald Trump was elected on the basis of conspiracy theories and look how that has turned out

Do people really believe the umpires and/or the AFL cheated? Come on!

Yes the Umps had a bad day but they missed heaps for the Lions too. The fact that Brown requires so much attention from the opposition allowed us to kick 140 points with 14 different goal kickers.

So now what Geelong, restrict Brown with numbers or not?

I couldn't give a s**t if Brown kicks a goal or not as long we use it to our advantage like we did today.

I'd rather we focus on how well this team is performing and Scott's ability to change things up mid game where an issue is occurring.

**** the umps and the AFL and Go Roos

I do not think the umpires purposely cheat, nor do I think that there is any sort of directive from the AFL.

What I DO think is that the umpires talk among themselves and opinions are formed, whether openly or subconsciously.

They do not live in a bubble. There has been media and commentary recently about how Brown 'stages' or 'dives' for frees. I fully expect this has been seen and commented on within the group on the day or the wider umpiring circles and the general feeling is then NOT to pay him anything when his forty foot long arms flap around for balance because they have a predisposition to think he is 'staging'.

Times this by three umpires and you can see why people begin to think the way they do regarding how North is treated. Especially when the same or softer is paid the other way.

There were some dicey decisions yesterday that I was rope-able about that were called surprisingly accurately by the North bloke next to me on Level three, usually before I'd even finished drawing a breath to yell in disagreement, so some were obviously there.

But you have to admit that all three generally had a one-sided shocker yesterday.

Sometimes the planets DO align for this to happen all the one way. But that doesn't mean we have to accept it or be happy about it.

If I stuff up in my workplace it will most likely cost a lot of public money and I WILL face consequences over that.

No reason the same can't happen to the guys in the crappy green.

Blocking free kicks is another blight on the game.. s**t like this just frustrates the fans more than a volatile MRP! If its a free when BbB holds or uses his body weight in a marking contest and then is clearly blocked for a run and one is a free the other is not is a joke! The game is a joke! BBB is a trafitional thpe lead up or hold ground FF! Let him play his game! Its a glorious thing when hes up n about!

Was a bad game for us. In fact it was painful for most of the game watching the complete inconsistency in the way calls were made. Not saying Brisbane didn’t get a few go the other way either, but there were a raft of complete nonsense calls. Daw in particular I think received 3 free kicks against him that were complete robbery.

I watched a few games this weekend which is no that usual for me and I have to say if that’s the standard across most games no wonder people are turning off. I thought in both the Rich / Ess game and the Geel / GC games both of the former teams got an absolute dream ride. It’s not necessarily about whether it changes the result, it rarely does IMO but the games can become borderline unwatchable when technical frees are found one way but not the other.

There were some dicey decisions yesterday that I was rope-able about that were called surprisingly accurately by the North bloke next to me on Level three, usually before I'd even finished drawing a breath to yell in disagreement, so some were obviously there.

Some are always there but it's the sheer weight one way for every minor slight with nothing the other way that makes it unbearable. I think at times some of our key forwards don’t get much help but I can live with it if it’s both ways. Yesterday we were getting mauled while they were getting the softest of nothing free kicks in their forward line.

Also, Mason Wood must have some weird issue because for some reason he is getting denied marks on a disturbingly regular basis.

You think this is bad, wait till you see what happens down at the pussy lounge this week.................

1800ef586369fc1c206d3f7feffd2e2e--meme-legends.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott comments on Brown umpire treatment
By Harrison Reid 28 minutes ago
11NMBr18QR1485.JPG

There aren’t many players more difficult to defend than North Melbourne’s Ben Brown.

The Coleman Medal leader is being earmarked in most All-Australian teams at the midway point of the season with 35 goals.

At full stretch Brown is nearly impossible to defend, which has drawn attention to the legality with which opposition clubs are treating him.

Kangaroos coach Brad Scott has shed some light on Brown’s treatment from the club’s perspective.

“If you’re watching closely most weeks, there’s a hell of a lot of work that goes into defending Ben and he’s a very hard player to defend because he’s a genuine jumper at the ball,” he told SEN’s Whateley.

“Standing at over 200 centimetres and at full stretch, who knows how tall that is? But when he launches at the ball he’s almost impossible to stop so a lot of the tactics go into trying to stop him doing that, now whether that’s legal or not that’s a question for the umpires”.

Scott alluded to some of Brisbane’s defensive tactics on Brown at the weekend, but the coach had nothing but praise for his star’s temperament and persistence.

“I think at times, and there were a number of free kicks paid for blocking in marking contests – probably to both sides and Ben wasn’t on the receiving end of those,” he said.

“He was a little bit frustrated to be honest yesterday and it’s the first time I’ve seen him sort of even glance in the umpire’s direction; he usually just gets on with it, and that’s our instruction to him: ‘mate, at times you’re going to be infringed and not have a free kick paid for you but you’ve just got to keep launching at the ball.’

“If he does that he’s hard to defend and he either marks it or gets infringed so he’s just got to persist with that and let the umpires do their job.”

Some are always there but it's the sheer weight one way for every minor slight with nothing the other way that makes it unbearable. I think at times some of our key forwards don’t get much help but I can live with it if it’s both ways. Yesterday we were getting mauled while they were getting the softest of nothing free kicks in their forward line.

This.

I have been watching a bit of neutral footy this year without being that invested in who wins and that one sided inconsistency seems a consistent problem.

I used to wonder if sometimes particular jumpers made it harder to see some infringements and easy to mistake other non infringements for infringements.

This.

I have been watching a bit of neutral footy this year without being that invested in who wins and that one sided inconsistency seems a consistent problem.

I used to wonder if sometimes particular jumpers made it harder to see some infringements and easy to mistake other non infringements for infringements.

I watched two other games on the weekend and I thought both were pretty horrifically one sided, at least when the game was in the balance. To be fair you see different stuff on TV than you do at the game. Some you see wrong live (happy to admit that) but also some calls / non calls just won't get seen on the screen.

A lot of desensitised people in here. "Who cares if the umpiring is s**t, we won!"

Same s**t is said by people when facebook's privacy came into question. "I don't care. What are they going to do with my data?!"

Same s**t was said when the US government passed their new cloud storage bill allowing them to look at your stuff whenever the hell they want.

Slippery slope folks. one by one we will accept it as "that's just how it is, nothing you can do about it." The next minute Gil is running the Gulag and what's left of us freedom fighters are labelled 'traitors of the Motherland' and sentenced to labor camps where you are brainwashed into supporting pathetic franchises like GWS or Gold Coast.

Enough is enough.

A lot of desensitised people in here. "Who cares if the umpiring is s**t, we won!"

Same s**t is said by people when facebook's privacy came into question. "I don't care. What are they going to do with my data?!"

Same s**t was said when the US government passed their new cloud storage bill allowing them to look at your stuff whenever the hell they want.

Slippery slope folks. one by one we will accept it as "that's just how it is, nothing you can do about it." The next minute Gil is running the Gulag and what's left of us freedom fighters are labelled 'traitors of the Motherland' and sentenced to labor camps where you are brainwashed into supporting pathetic franchises like GWS or Gold Coast.

Enough is enough.
I'm prepared to jump at shadows with the best of them, GG. However, I can't get past the idea that the umpires are just a bunch of ordinary blokes (a bit "teachery-like" for most of us) who are just trying to adjudicate a game that is full of grey areas. Lot's of situations seem to have 3/4 possible outcomes. An equal number of people get outraged, regardless of which way the decision goes. This week the "outrage du jour" seems to bee BBB. Hopefully, for us, after the Geelong game, the outrage will be about all the soft free kicks that BBB gets. The last thing we want is consistency because then two thirds of us will be permanently outraged. Lol.

You think this is bad, wait till you see what happens down at the pussy lounge this week.................

1800ef586369fc1c206d3f7feffd2e2e--meme-legends.jpg

This is my greatest fear this week. No doubts whatsoever.

Scott comments on Brown umpire treatment
By Harrison Reid 28 minutes ago
11NMBr18QR1485.JPG

There aren’t many players more difficult to defend than North Melbourne’s Ben Brown.

The Coleman Medal leader is being earmarked in most All-Australian teams at the midway point of the season with 35 goals.

At full stretch Brown is nearly impossible to defend, which has drawn attention to the legality with which opposition clubs are treating him.

Kangaroos coach Brad Scott has shed some light on Brown’s treatment from the club’s perspective.

“If you’re watching closely most weeks, there’s a hell of a lot of work that goes into defending Ben and he’s a very hard player to defend because he’s a genuine jumper at the ball,” he told SEN’s Whateley.

“Standing at over 200 centimetres and at full stretch, who knows how tall that is? But when he launches at the ball he’s almost impossible to stop so a lot of the tactics go into trying to stop him doing that, now whether that’s legal or not that’s a question for the umpires”.

Scott alluded to some of Brisbane’s defensive tactics on Brown at the weekend, but the coach had nothing but praise for his star’s temperament and persistence.

“I think at times, and there were a number of free kicks paid for blocking in marking contests – probably to both sides and Ben wasn’t on the receiving end of those,” he said.

“He was a little bit frustrated to be honest yesterday and it’s the first time I’ve seen him sort of even glance in the umpire’s direction; he usually just gets on with it, and that’s our instruction to him: ‘mate, at times you’re going to be infringed and not have a free kick paid for you but you’ve just got to keep launching at the ball.’

“If he does that he’s hard to defend and he either marks it or gets infringed so he’s just got to persist with that and let the umpires do their job.”

I suppose that's as good a crack as we'll get from Brad.

Well done.

Hopefully the air is a bit bluer when we address the umpiring department with the matter.

Scott's comments were shrewd.

Didn't get lagged into an umpire bashing rant, just pointed out the strengths of Brown, the difficulties the opposition face trying to defend against him, then alluded to the tactical legalities of that defence.

If the club throws together a little please explain highlights package and has a chat with the Umpiring Department behind closed doors, we should see an improvement this week without too much drama.

Scott's comments were shrewd.

Didn't get lagged into an umpire bashing rant, just pointed out the strengths of Brown, the difficulties the opposition face trying to defend against him, then alluded to the tactical legalities of that defence.

If the club throws together a little please explain highlights package and has a chat with the Umpiring Department behind closed doors, we should see an improvement this week without too much drama.

Doesn't matter Grogg, they just ****ed us over at the MRP for doing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back