Strategy When Jack comes back

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Be interesting who goes to Buddy this week.

I am not sure there is an obvious match for him from last week's backline. Astbury would match him overhead but I don't think can get near Franklin on the ground. Broad and Grimes maybe just not big enough.

Either of Riewoldt(if he plays) or Lynch starting on him would look weird but it doesn't mean they are not the best options.

The two most obvious on the list with the size and speed to go with him are novices really, Chol and Balta. Neither have been prepared by the club to play in defence this season, but both have played in defence at different stages of their development.

Franklin looked a bit off last match especially with his kicking, a few times not making the distance from around 50m.

My guess is Broad or Grimes start on him with a back up plan of Balta, but if Franklin is at his best, it could get very ugly.

Bearing in mind players like Franklin, Cameron, Hipwood, the type of players Rance would be the default option for in the past and who we might struggle to cover without him, I wonder if it may be time to see if Chol can do a job on these type of players for us.

mad_tiggy911

🏆 🏆 🏆
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Can't play Riewoldt, Lynch and Caddy all up fwd. It's too much.

Jack's lost his full time fwd job and will change up with Caddy.

Rotate Jack, Caddy and Balta through fwd/mid.

Lynch to play mostly deep forward.

Meli

#gotiges
Aug 1, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Jacks not a defender. He is the best forward in the league. What we do need to be careful is how our forwardline structures up not who needs to be outed. For me its about playing to our team strengths and having our players play to their individual strengths.

Lynch is a stay at home forward so we should play him 20m from goal. Caddy is great at bringing the ball to ground and creating space/opportunities for our crumbers. Jack is incredibly creative. He can do it all - lead up mark, crumb, forward pressure, link up play and set up others. This is why I think he makes the ideal CHF. He can push up the wings to turn and find someone in the forward fifty. He can push back into the F50 to mark and bring the ball to ground.

I think moving into the backline was like moving Rance to the forward line or Michael Jordan switching to baseball - yes they were ok in their new position/sport but they are superstars when they play to their natural strengths. Jack is the same.
I read an article during the week where Lynch was saying how great it's been to be able to learn from someone of Jacks caliber as he'd never had anyone to learn from before. I think that when Lynch is 100% fit (which he's not yet!! :dizzy:) that we'll see him doing a lot more of this stuff.

I think that in a way Jack being injured has been good for Lynch to establish himself in his own right into our fwd line. And when Jack gets back......I am really looking forward to seeing how the dynamic between the two develops. :clapping::blush:

Good times ahead, I feel! :wineglass:

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I am not sure there is an obvious match for him from last week's backline. Astbury would match him overhead but I don't think can get near Franklin on the ground. Broad and Grimes maybe just not big enough.

Either of Riewoldt(if he plays) or Lynch starting on him would look weird but it doesn't mean they are not the best options.

The two most obvious on the list with the size and speed to go with him are novices really, Chol and Balta. Neither have been prepared by the club to play in defence this season, but both have played in defence at different stages of their development.

Franklin looked a bit off last match especially with his kicking, a few times not making the distance from around 50m.

My guess is Broad or Grimes start on him with a back up plan of Balta, but if Franklin is at his best, it could get very ugly.

Bearing in mind players like Franklin, Cameron, Hipwood, the type of players Rance would be the default option for in the past and who we might struggle to cover without him, I wonder if it may be time to see if Chol can do a job on these type of players for us.
Buddy would kick 20 on Chol.

Jack plays KPF, in tandem with Tom. I like Jack roaming more. But he's a forward.

Buddy is a problem with his athleticism and speed. But take the midfield from the Swans and he'll starve. Dusty to come back and have a monster game and it will be an interesting weekend.

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
No way. You don't take your Lambo 4-wheel driving. Players who can't attack, defend. I'd rather try someone like Moore as a defender who's quick and agile but hasn't quite made it as a forward. Don't waste a proven superstar like that. Ask yourself where opposition would like to see him, and then do the opposite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 8, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Jacks not a defender. He is the best forward in the league. What we do need to be careful is how our forwardline structures up not who needs to be outed. For me its about playing to our team strengths and having our players play to their individual strengths.

Lynch is a stay at home forward so we should play him 20m from goal. Caddy is great at bringing the ball to ground and creating space/opportunities for our crumbers. Jack is incredibly creative. He can do it all - lead up mark, crumb, forward pressure, link up play and set up others. This is why I think he makes the ideal CHF. He can push up the wings to turn and find someone in the forward fifty. He can push back into the F50 to mark and bring the ball to ground.

I think moving into the backline was like moving Rance to the forward line or Michael Jordan switching to baseball - yes they were ok in their new position/sport but they are superstars when they play to their natural strengths. Jack is the same.
Back in the 80s we could never manage to get Roach and Brian Taylor in any sort of structure, meaning eventually BT left. Although they were both stay at home FFs. Jacks a more mobile player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back