When should we wear the bars? (poll)

When should we wear the bars?

• Bars should be Port Adelaide's official AFL jumper - we should wear them as much as possible

Votes: 79 52.7%
  • Bars should be Showdown only, and worn twice a year against the tingles

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • Bars should be a special occasion jumper, to be brought out rarely (<3/yr) at games of our choice

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Bars are a SANFL jumper and should never be worn by the AFL team

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You're right. The PB design is objectively awesome in any colour scheme. I would love recoloured designs if and only if they are in addition to our heritage jumper rather than as a replacement.
Made this in 2019 and stand by it - although a white number panel on the home as you suggest would be just as good.
View attachment 1123366

Love it.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Couple of interesting observations so far...

1. Despite certain people in the media claiming that there are a sizable chunk of Port fans who don't want us wearing the bars, this option still sits at 0 after 40+ votes.

2. If we assume from the posts in here that a handful of people picked the top option for the reason of self-determination rather than a full-fledged desire to see it as our guernsey, we are probably sitting around 50/50 between Port fans that 100% want the guernsey full-time and Port fans that want it as a secondary jumper.

It seems that just about all of us want self-determination as the primary objective.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Couple of interesting observations so far...

1. Despite certain people in the media claiming that there are a sizable chunk of Port fans who don't want us wearing the bars, this option still sits at 0 after 40+ votes.

2. If we assume from the posts in here that a handful of people picked the top option for the reason of self-determination rather than a full-fledged desire to see it as our guernsey, we are probably sitting around 50/50 between Port fans that 100% want the guernsey full-time and Port fans that want it as a secondary jumper.

It seems that just about all of us want self-determination as the primary objective.

This poll is only reaching a tiny sub-section of the supporter base, past players and club to be making a wide deduction from.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
looks like the club have gone all in on 'showdowns only', i think that is currently our only option and i would be happy with that (although i like the idea of wearing it Anzac day too). But to be honest even getting an agreement on showdowns only currently seems like a stretch given we struggle to get approval to wear it once every 5 seasons.

Being slightly realistic my position is as follows.

The chevrons can go.
Home jumper is black with silver bars and a white number panel.
Clash is silver jumper with black bars and cuffs and white number panel.
"Special" occasions its traditional black and white bars.
You're right. The PB design is objectively awesome in any colour scheme. I would love recoloured designs if and only if they are in addition to our heritage jumper rather than as a replacement.
Made this in 2019 and stand by it - although a white number panel on the home as you suggest would be just as good. And white trim on the away, although I think (like our current grey strip) the black trim is aesthetically superior.
View attachment 1123366
I like this. I think our first priority should be getting to wear the proper PB's for special occasions. I think home Showdowns and Anzac Day definitely, and any home finals, heritage round etc. if it's reintroduced. Not quite so fussed about away Showdowns. I don't like the idea of offering to make changes to the original PB's to get that approval, that just defeats the purpose and once we do that we'll never get them back.
If we can get that allowed then I'd be very happy to see the above guernseys come in as our regular home and away jumpers.

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Home games and use the other two jumpers away depending on the colour clash. At a minimum it's our jumper at home, and Collingwood can get a clash jumper so they aren't above any club in the competition when it comes to the rules.

Teal is our AFL colours but PBs should be an official "other".......not home, not away just something special

Being special, it should not be wasted on the Crows as it was even more fabulous against the Tigers. No more than 2 times a year, in SA or Grand Finals.

My choice would be 2-3 times a year vs teams of our own choosing. I don't think we need to give the tingles the privilege of piggybacking our heritage. I'd wear it vs traditional Vic sides, which are our peers.

That option should be in the poll.

Made this in 2019 and stand by it - although a white number panel on the home as you suggest would be just as good. And white trim on the away, although I think (like our current grey strip) the black trim is aesthetically superior.
View attachment 1123366
If we could get that home guernsey over the line (no reason why we shouldn't be able to) we should do it. We still keep the fight to wear the black and white version.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1123366

I could get behind this. As you say, once the Heritage Bars are back first.

Hypothetically, if we won this year's premiership in the chevrons, would that change people's feeling about the BiB guernsey?

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Realistically option 1 probably won't happen. There will be some level of compromise and I think Port's position of Showdowns only reflects this.

Option 3 is my preferred choice. I still like the chevrons and throwing them away seems a bit wrong to me.

I'm of the opinion that all our current guernseys are awesome and I dont want to see any of them go.

BiB, Silver chevrons and PBs would be a fantastic collection to pick from.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I could get behind this. As you say, once the Heritage Bars are back first.

It would be interesting to see if it would even be approved in the first place. Whenever Ed has suggested alterations it’s always in teal (might’ve even said pink once) but he’s never said silver. He wants dominion over that too even though it isn’t a Collingwood colour.

He also cracked the shits over our silver clash recently so I get the feeling we’d start another flame war if we decided to go this way in the future.

Last edited:
I still like the chevrons and throwing them away seems a bit wrong to me.
I'm of the opinion that all our current guernseys are awesome and I dont want to see any of them go.
BiB, Silver chevrons and PBs would be a fantastic collection to pick from.

My thinking is along the same lines.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Hypothetically, if we won this year's premiership in the chevrons, would that change people's feeling about the BiB guernsey?

No, it would just make me happy to see the chevron guernsey back as a heritage guernsey to celebrate anniversaries of that flag in the future. The 2004 flag doesn't make me want the SBS guernsey back.

The chevron guernsey is a nice footy guernsey and ultimately teal looks great as a 3rd colour with black and white. But the bars are aesthetically perfect with brilliant bold colour blocking, represent the wharf and pylons and we've won so much in them.

The chevron guernsey gained popularity because it was a traditional looking guernsey when we'd had 13 years of a 90s abstract monstrosity. Its nice but there's no shame in it not being able to hold a candle to the greatest guernsey in football history.

It would be interesting to see if it would even be approved in the first place. Whenever Ed has suggested alterations it’s always in teal (might’ve even said pink once) but he’s never said silver. He wants dominion over that too for even though it isn’t a Collingwood colour.

He also cracked the shits over our silver clash recently so I get the feeling we’d start another flame war if we decided to go this way in the future.

On what possible grounds? Fremantle aren't forced to wear all four of their official colours. Opposition fans and football industry types against this push by the club seem obsessed by Teal and Pink as if to utilise it as some veiled homophobic slur on the club. Haw Haw, use your gay colours.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
On what possible grounds? Fremantle aren't forced to wear all four of their official colours. Opposition fans and football industry types against this push by the club seem obsessed by Teal and Pink as if to utilise it as some veiled homophobic slur on the club. Haw Haw, use your gay colours.

I think Freo have outright dropped red and green fwiw.

Eddie’s ego takes him beyond what Collingwood are and into what is similar as well. Just look at his opposition to St Kilda’s candy stripes guernsey. It has red on it FFS. Absolutely no one on Earth would think it’s Collingwood for even a second.

He’s completely irrational but never let it stop him, so I think he’d 100% pull every lever he could to stop silver bars.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My choice would be 2-3 times a year vs teams of our own choosing. I don't think we need to give the tingles the privilege of piggybacking our heritage. I'd wear it vs traditional Vic sides, which are our peers.

That option should be in the poll.

Yeah this is option 3. I've clearly worded option 3 extremely poorly because this matches my thoughts pretty well (though I'd prefer to have it less than that on average to retain the aura and keep it special)

but it's just not a particularly "Port Adelaide" jumper.

I disagree on this. I think it feels very much like a PA guernsey, much more than the SBS and assorted monstrosities.
If I had to rank them from my own personal view, I'd have them as:

1. Prison Bar - black and white
2. Chevron - black, white, and teal + white/away and grey/clash (as a set this is a great uniform)
3. Wings - black base with white and teal wings
4. Prison Bar - black and silver (as a hypothetical alternate)

My personal view is that the Prison Bars should never be changed to have teal on them. I'm a fan of the black and silver bars but I don't think we'd get this through without incorporating teal into it, which would ruin it.

My preference would be to maintain the integrity of the PBs as a special heritage guernsey in black and white, with our BiB/Chevron guernsey being the base uniform.

Back