When should we wear the bars? (poll)

When should we wear the bars?

• Bars should be Port Adelaide's official AFL jumper - we should wear them as much as possible

Votes: 79 52.7%
  • Bars should be Showdown only, and worn twice a year against the tingles

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • Bars should be a special occasion jumper, to be brought out rarely (<3/yr) at games of our choice

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Bars are a SANFL jumper and should never be worn by the AFL team

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
On what possible grounds? Fremantle aren't forced to wear all four of their official colours. Opposition fans and football industry types against this push by the club seem obsessed by Teal and Pink as if to utilise it as some veiled homophobic slur on the club. Haw Haw, use your gay colours.

This guernsey that I picked up a few years ago is a bit curious too wrt our scant use of silver over the journey. I don’t know the story behind it but judging by the template and general layout of the design my best guess is that it is a prototype that eventually morphed into our 2004 teal lightning bolt clash.

If this is true, why the change from silver to teal? Was it just an aesthetic choice by us, or did we submit a silver one to the AFL only for it to be denied? And if so, why?

DE736925-ED18-4506-B86D-8B4D0E30BF0A.jpeg

No, it would just make me happy to see the chevron guernsey back as a heritage guernsey to celebrate anniversaries of that flag in the future. The 2004 flag doesn't make me want the SBS guernsey back.

The chevron guernsey is a nice footy guernsey and ultimately teal looks great as a 3rd colour with black and white. But the bars are aesthetically perfect with brilliant bold colour blocking, represent the wharf and pylons and we've won so much in them.

The chevron guernsey gained popularity because it was a traditional looking guernsey when we'd had 13 years of a 90s abstract monstrosity. Its nice but there's no shame in it not being able to hold a candle to the greatest guernsey in football history.

It's interesting that we've been wearing the chevrons almost as long as we had the SBS guernsey. In five years time we could potentially have one or two premierships in them as well and it then starts to tip the other way with a new generation of supporters who identify the Chevrons as PAFC success in the AFL.

This guernsey that I picked up a few years ago is a bit curious too wrt our scant use of silver over the journey. I don’t know the story behind it but judging by the template and general layout of the design my best guess is that it was a prototype that eventually morphed into our 2004 teal lightning bolt clash.

If this is true, why the change from silver to teal? Was it just an aesthetic choice by us, or did we submit a silver one to the AFL only for it to be denied? And if so, why?

View attachment 1123513

How did you get hold of this?

I remember having a discussion with Ian McLachlan (the PAFC board member) around that time about the testing they were doing with die sublimation printing. The one he showed me was the ThunderJizz™ guernsey and this looks like it could have been part of that testing run.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You're right. The PB design is objectively awesome in any colour scheme. I would love recoloured designs if and only if they are in addition to our heritage jumper rather than as a replacement.
Made this in 2019 and stand by it - although a white number panel on the home as you suggest would be just as good. And white trim on the away, although I think (like our current grey strip) the black trim is aesthetically superior.
View attachment 1123366

I wasn't too keen in the past in changing anything on the PB's, but on seeing the above it is the design that is sensational and not just the colours,

There is no doubt though that black and white defines the jumper, and whilst it is always easy to be wise after the event I now have a sneaking suspicion that if we had compromised a tad and gone into the AFL with a version of the PB's in our jumper line up from day 1, and then made gradual changes to it over the years we may have won the jumper argument a long time ago.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How did you get hold of this?

I remember having a discussion with Ian McLachlan (the PAFC board member) around that time about the testing they were doing with die sublimation printing. The one he showed me was the ThunderJizz™ guernsey and this looks like it could have been part of that testing run.

Came across it (hehe) on eBay one day and took a punt. It has the same construction as my other Nike guernseys so I have no doubt it was made by them, just don’t know why exactly.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I disagree on this. I think it feels very much like a PA guernsey, much more than the SBS and assorted monstrosities.

It feels like a traditional football guernsey to me, not so much a traditional Port guernsey.
Like I said, I don't dislike it. It's a decent guernsey, miles ahead of what preceded it. But the PB's are unmistakingly Port Adelaide.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think the beauty of the chevrons is that they are relatively new so if we ever wanted to be the trailblazer in this backwards league of ours and change it every year we could. I mean we kind of already have with XL chevs this year but you could go even further, make them wider, different patterns etc. Look at the European soccer clubs, they’re selling something new every year within a general theme.

Definitely not something you’d want to do with the Bars of course.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Came across it (hehe) on eBay one day and took a punt. It has the same construction as my other Nike guernseys so I have no doubt it was made by them, just don’t know why exactly.
I'd imagine we've had a few silver designs knocked back at HQ over the years?

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well that’s my suspicion and if true it’s arguably even more bullsh1t than the PB opposition because it’s not even an official colour at any other club let alone Collingwood.
Yea I reckon silver replacing teal on the home kit would get knocked on the head, they probably had to give in to the current away kit.

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
It's interesting that we've been wearing the chevrons almost as long as we had the SBS guernsey. In five years time we could potentially have one or two premierships in them as well and it then starts to tip the other way with a new generation of supporters who identify the Chevrons as PAFC success in the AFL.
SBS guernsey also have 2007

What I have more memories of than 2004.

* being a mid 90s kid

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs

We could win a flag in the chevrons but the supporters will be wearing prison bars. Especially now.

A couple of flags is a drop in the ocean compared to what the PBs means to this club. The SBS guernsey was dumped what, 6 years after we wore it for our greatest achievement as a club?

We already have a generation of supporters born since 1997 sitting in the crowd wearing bars. Young people buy in and engage with the traditional aspect of a footy club just as much as people who have seen 15 flags in person.

If we ever achieve total self determination, we'll be wearing the bars as a full time home guernsey within 3 years. It's no fault of the chevrons, they just can't compete. Not aesthetically, not thematically, and not in the hearts and minds of Port Adelaide people.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Because if the AFL would approve it, we'd have done it by now.
We probably had to wear the teal hoop black socks to get the current away kit over the line.

Outrageous I wonder if any other club is enforced to wear a colour, meanwhile Freo can drop half their kit.

We could win a flag in the chevrons but the supporters will be wearing prison bars. Especially now.

A couple of flags is a drop in the ocean compared to what the PBs means to this club. The SBS guernsey was dumped what, 6 years after we wore it for our greatest achievement as a club?

We already have a generation of supporters born since 1997 sitting in the crowd wearing bars. Young people buy in and engage with the traditional aspect of a footy club just as much as people who have seen 15 flags in person.
_
If we ever achieve total self determination, we'll be wearing the bars as a full time home guernsey within 3 years. It's no fault of the chevrons, they just can't compete. Not aesthetically, not thematically, and not in the hearts and minds of Port Adelaide people.
I love seeing this in our crowds. I guess that's what happens when you’re a 2nd or 3rd generation Port supporter.

Back