When should we wear the bars? (poll)

When should we wear the bars?

• Bars should be Port Adelaide's official AFL jumper - we should wear them as much as possible

Votes: 79 52.7%
  • Bars should be Showdown only, and worn twice a year against the tingles

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • Bars should be a special occasion jumper, to be brought out rarely (<3/yr) at games of our choice

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Bars are a SANFL jumper and should never be worn by the AFL team

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters
Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Because if the AFL would approve it, we'd have done it by now.

I doubt the club has given it serious consideration to this point in time. There's still a (shrinking) segment of our supporter base who are rusted on to teal and chevrons, and the club has been careful not to alienate them by discussing the prison bars outside of heritage game purposes.

Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Man City, NY Jets
Home Showdown minimum, I like the idea of Anzac Round.
Happy to be worn at another home match if the shoe fits but I can’t think of a team the Pylons really need to be ‘donned’ maybe the special anniversaries of the Champions of Australia success (Carlton)

But there is no real need to wear it against any of Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, Geelong, Western Bulldogs, Wet Toast, Freo, Sydney, GWS, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Hawthorn or St.Kilda (Outside Anzac celebrations)

We may look to play a Russell Ebert tribute match when the time comes against North Melbourne, but that would be about the only reason.

Maybe occasionally wear it against Melbourne if they were interested in Celebrating yesteryears. But neither here nor there.

I would like to see us have the option to wear it in a Final if there was a Clash, ie Richmond 2014.

I would like to see us have the option to wear it in a Final if there was a Clash, ie Richmond 2014.
Now that's an idea - a finals jumper.

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
My dream would be to wear the traditional black & white PBs in all games except away to Collingwood (use a clash jumper) - I don't think I'll see it in my lifetime unfortunately, but I'll live in hope!. Realistically, I'd settle for 2-3 games per year to start with; perhaps home v crows, Anzac Day and one other when desired (e.g. milestone matches such as 100 years since 1921 premiership).

This guernsey that I picked up a few years ago is a bit curious too wrt our scant use of silver over the journey. I don’t know the story behind it but judging by the template and general layout of the design my best guess is that it is a prototype that eventually morphed into our 2004 teal lightning bolt clash.

If this is true, why the change from silver to teal? Was it just an aesthetic choice by us, or did we submit a silver one to the AFL only for it to be denied? And if so, why?

View attachment 1123513

Going from memory, everything was pointing towards us using silver as our compromise colour as the years towards the second AFL bid/entry rolled on, beginning with the silver Port warm-up jackets and culminating with widespread rumours we’d be pulling the trigger on a silver and black prisonbar.

But it’s been suggested previously that thanks to the NBA and Charlotte Hornets blowing up in Aussie schools circa 1993-5, the ponytailed marketing w***ers did enough to convince the board/AFL to move away from the silver plan and pull the trigger on teal and ‘IT’S THE NINEDEEZ’ cartoon branding.

Was this 10 or 40 minutes before Jay’s spine turned to custard, killing the vaunted Schulz-Dixon tandem in the cradle? 😔

Like tears in the rain.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
We could win a flag in the chevrons but the supporters will be wearing prison bars. Especially now.

A couple of flags is a drop in the ocean compared to what the PBs means to this club. The SBS guernsey was dumped what, 6 years after we wore it for our greatest achievement as a club?

We already have a generation of supporters born since 1997 sitting in the crowd wearing bars. Young people buy in and engage with the traditional aspect of a footy club just as much as people who have seen 15 flags in person.

If we ever achieve total self determination, we'll be wearing the bars as a full time home guernsey within 3 years. It's no fault of the chevrons, they just can't compete. Not aesthetically, not thematically, and not in the hearts and minds of Port Adelaide people.

THIS x10000000!

As an early 90s kid, I didn't start supporting the Power until 2001 (I was indoctrinated as a Crows fan until I became more of a free thinker and realised I didn't have to support the team all my friends did at the time). At the same time though, I had no affinity to the Magpies whatsoever. In the SANFL I supported Sturt because our phys ed teacher at school played for them, and I would later have a few mates from school who played for the double blues.

But once the merger happened for Port along with the fact that the club seemed to care again about its on-field results, I immediately started following the Magpies in the SANFL, learning to understand and appreciate the history of the prison bar jumper.

When you think of Port Adelaide, you think of the prison bar jumper, and that's across all demographics and supporters across Australia of all the various AFL clubs. It is truly a classic jumper, and its allure has only grown in time imo due to the AFL's clear desire to keep that uniform out of the national competition. It is simply a classic uniform that shouldn't be bastardised or altered. The only three uniforms in sport I can think of that are absolutely perfect and should never change are the Raiders in the NFL, the pinstriped Yankees jersey in baseball, and the prison bars.

Sep 6, 2009
FNQ
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Bears
We will never surrender the bars. We have had enemies from all angles trying to perform club genocide on us since we entered the AFL. I feel the PB jumper is now our flag which we will wave in defiance. We have had marshmallows trying to appease these boys club institutions such as the sanfl and the AFL/Collingwood by bending over and signing away our traditions...we the supporters, are the club, and we should all wear one to show the world this is ours...$200 well spent in my book

lol, no. This one.

691256BB-B5F0-4F98-B382-F4D7AC3D4EF7.png
I love that guernsey. PB's are always the #1 choice, but if we can't have the PB's I'd much rather we wore that full time than the chevrons.

The chevrons just look like a FIFA create a guernsey that nobody bothered to put much thought into. If you told me tomorrow that we were never wearing them again, I wouldn't miss a beat.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Was this 10 or 40 minutes before Jay’s spine turned to custard, killing the vaunted Schulz-Dixon tandem in the cradle?
He moved well in that game, and looks sharp in that photo.

By the time he came back months later he has no hair and looked a decade older.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I love that guernsey. PB's are always the #1 choice, but if we can't have the PB's I'd much rather we wore that full time than the chevrons.

The chevrons just look like a FIFA create a guernsey that nobody bothered to put much thought into. If you told me tomorrow that we were never wearing them again, I wouldn't miss a beat.

The '16 version of the '97-'02 away guernsey looked amazing, but the problem with that design and the SBS design is they're complex - they will look drastically different from year to year and manufacturer to manufacturer. And if they're stuffed up they'll look horrible. Witness the '08-'09 Reebok SBS and the '14 ISC replica.

Look at the variation in the current guernsey from last year to this year, and that's with a really simple design. The potential for things going horribly wrong with those original designs is just too much.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs

That's a great way of putting it.

The chevrons are like a big bash franchise. People like them but if Cricket Australia reverted to state based T20 sides tomorrow nobody would care even a little bit.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Going from memory, everything was pointing towards us using silver as our compromise colour as the years towards the second AFL bid/entry rolled on, beginning with the silver Port warm-up jackets and culminating with widespread rumours we’d be pulling the trigger on a silver and black prisonbar.

But it’s been suggested previously that thanks to the NBA and Charlotte Hornets blowing up in Aussie schools circa 1993-5, the ponytailed marketing w***ers did enough to convince the board/AFL to move away from the silver plan and pull the trigger on teal and ‘IT’S THE NINEDEEZ’ cartoon branding.

Even if it’s true that we made the last minute zag towards teal ourselves it doesn’t really explain the silver mystery. Why have it listed as an official colour but then not use it at all to begin with? Why was an all silver guernsey made circa 2003 only for it to end up on the cutting room floor in favour of our first maximum teal effort?

Was it us making these choices? Or was it them?

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
During the crowning moment of the Six-in-a-Row premiership run from 1954-1959, the world's most-famous cricketer, Sir Donald Bradman (a South Adelaide fan), made it known to club secretary "Big Bob" McLean that there was just one jumper for the Port Adelaide Football Club - the bars.

At the 1959 premiership dinner - where McLean hailed first-year captain-coach Geof Motley for claiming an Australian record with the sixth consecutive premiership - Bradman put his lasting mark on Port Adelaide football history.

Back