When the Spirit of the Game comes under fire

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the difference between the Laws of Cricket and the 'Spirit' of Cricket.

It's a historical oddity, that's all. There is absolutely no reason why the non-striker can't stay in his ground, and if he doesn't then why shouldn't he pay the penalty?

Threads been ruined by the moderator changing the thread title. this was thread was about Australian cricket and its unfortunate demise character wise. As a result of the change of thread title, its been derailed.

It's a historical oddity, that's all. There is absolutely no reason why the non-striker can't stay in his ground, and if he doesn't then why shouldn't he pay the penalty?
I don't get it either. You don't give a batsman a warning before running him out, or stumping him.

Threads been ruined by the moderator changing the thread title. this was thread was about Australian cricket and its unfortunate demise character wise. As a result of the change of thread title, its been derailed.

Threads been saved actually, your premise was ridiculous.

I realise that, I'm just saying that it's a bit silly.
I mainly say it because I remember 'Mankading' somebody when I was probably around 10. Was playing in the country, our bitter rivals, and some of the parents from the other side jeered. My dad was umpiring at the time and he told the batsman to stay in and that he'd talk to us about it afterwards. I think he understood that I didn't really understand what I was doing.

Anyway, he took us all in during the innings break and gave us a spiel about how backing up was an important part of the game (which I agree with now, it leads to a better spectacle) and how what I did was essentially a 'bitch' way to get someone out. When pushed, he said that the batsman wasn't trying to cheat but rather if we felt that he was going over the top that next time we should have a word to the umpire straight away and get him to tone it down.

I think I have the opinion I do because that day stuck with me. You rarely see it becoming an issue but I still like the idea of warning the batsman because it eliminates the problem straight away and it feels better to get them out in genuine fashion too.

I mainly say it because I remember 'Mankading' somebody when I was probably around 10. Was playing in the country, our bitter rivals, and some of the parents from the other side jeered. My dad was umpiring at the time and he told the batsman to stay in and that he'd talk to us about it afterwards. I think he understood that I didn't really understand what I was doing.

Anyway, he took us all in during the innings break and gave us a spiel about how backing up was an important part of the game (which I agree with now, it leads to a better spectacle) and how what I did was essentially a 'bitch' way to get someone out. When pushed, he said that the batsman wasn't trying to cheat but rather if we felt that he was going over the top that next time we should have a word to the umpire straight away and get him to tone it down.

I think I have the opinion I do because that day stuck with me. You rarely see it becoming an issue but I still like the idea of warning the batsman because it eliminates the problem straight away and it feels better to get them out in genuine fashion too.

Your dad was wrong (and probably didn't want to deal with shitty country town social consequences).

Your dad was wrong (and probably didn't want to deal with shitty country town social consequences).
Haha, he'd love to hear that. I can't imagine he'd have been the type to care about 'social consequences'. He played country cricket for years and I know in our area it was a pretty tough and uncompromising competition. Like I said, nobody wanted to see anybody get Mankaded just as much as nobody wanted the non-striker to be gaining a huge unfair advantage. Common sense prevailed - give them a warning (barely is ever required anyway), after that stuff them.

It is obviously an aspect of the game that divides opinion, hence the thread.

simpsons_mob.gif

Look, I'm with you on this one. If I'm steaming in to bowl and the non-striker wants to creep out of his crease, he's fair game.

My point was the whole Mankad thing perfectly illustrates the differences between what is legal and what is expected in a gentleman's game.

I've always thought the spirit of cricket thing was a horseshit myth anyway. Every country bends and breaks the rules, even if India and England only pretend it's ever Australia that cheats, sledges, does something untoward or is racist.

What people forget about the original Mankad incident is that he ran Bill Brown out that way in the state game, after having first warned him. Then in the test match Brown was at it again and Mankad ran him out a second time. Lovely bloke, Bill Brown, but a bit dim.

Last edited:
fall of wicket was 165. sunil out for 70.
his opening batting partner chauhan made 85 before being dismissed 11 runs later.

from that i cant figure out what Chauser was on when sunil was dismissed. otherwise we could start a #XX forever out retired lol

According to The Age (February 11, 1981) and also Wisden 1982, Chauhan was 77 at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the spirit of cricket is "horseshit", then why did the MCC actually introduce it as the preamble to the Laws in about 2000?

By all means play hard but fair, but if you lose the spirit for which the game was intended, you lose a lot more than you think. It's not Indoor Cricket.

Good article by Martin Crowe on Warner after yesterday's blow up.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/821891.html

I reckon he's spot on. Yes Warner and Australia aren't the only ones. But he's almost always the common denominator. Someone in CA needs to sit him down and tell him to shut the * up.

The ICC is doing good things pulling in chuckers and match-fixers. Now they have a new problem brewing and Warner is leading the charge. If chuckers and match-fixers are shown the door, then so too must verbal abusers be.

:rolleyes:

Good article by Martin Crowe on Warner after yesterday's blow up.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/821891.html

I reckon he's spot on. Yes Warner and Australia aren't the only ones. But he's almost always the common denominator. Someone in CA needs to sit him down and tell him to shut the **** up.

They should. They won't. And you're right - all countries are equally guilty. They're all hypocrites, and all astonishing whingers when things don't go their way. The problem is you've now got an entire generation of cricketers who think you actually have to do this s**t to play the game. And because they're also a pack of self-entitled 'me me me' w***ers, it's not going to change.

'Speak English' is as thinly veiled racism as you can get.

Davey Warner at his 'firebrand best'.

:rolleyes:
Who's mentioned anything about him saying something racist? The word "racist" isn't mentioned in that article at all.

He's not racist. However he is a flog on the field.

Who's mentioned anything about him saying something racist? The word "racist" isn't mentioned in that article at all.

He's not racist. However he is a flog on the field.

It's not mentioned, but would you not interpret it that way?

He apologised for what he said so he was obviously ashamed of it.

It's not mentioned, but would you not interpret it that way?

He apologised for what he said so he was obviously ashamed of it.
I don't interpret Crowe's article as calling Warner a racist at all. He's called him an absolute flog, but not a racist.

If Crowe wanted to accuse him of being a racist he probably would've said so.

I don't interpret Crowe's article as calling Warner a racist at all. He's called him an absolute flog, but not a racist.

If Crowe wanted to accuse him of being a racist he probably would've said so.

What about your interpretation then - of Warner's comment itself?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back