When the Spirit of the Game comes under fire

Remove this Banner Ad

You'll notice I used quotation marks when referring to him as a victim but yes, if he has as it appears been sledged in Hindi and was repeated to him in English, he is a victim of sledging. Just because he has engaged and sledged for what he mistakenly believed was a s**t act by the opposition, doesn't mean he hasn't been sledged does it? And no I have since seen replays and acknowledge that my judgement was wrong.

As for your last line. If Sharma has spoken aggressively at Warner in a language he doesn't understand, it is absolutely acceptable to want to know what that person has said. If you were walking down the street and someone looked directly at you and said something with an aggressive tone you'd just cop it would you? Sure he could have chosen better words, but Sharma repeated it, so the request got across didn't it?

Not disagreeing that Sharma shot back, that was always going to happen with Warner acting like a tool.

Find it laughable though that there is any focus on what Sharma said, at all.

And it looks like you'll need to correct yourself again and produce a better analogy. Watch the vision, Warner approaches Sharma and instigated the sledging, he wasn't the recipient of any aggressive sledging.

first jonathan agnew, now martin crowe

i read into this that world cricket fears another australian dynasty, and they are trying to distract us ahead of the world cup

it was a nothing incident. yeah warner needs to pull his head in and stop getting himself in these situations, but ffs we're hardly at the stage where people are beating the s**t out of eachother like crowe is implying..

Do you believe in the Illumanati? And UFO's?

The whole world is secretly scared of Australia....everyone is trying to bring us down.

Do you believe in the Illumanati? And UFO's?

The whole world is secretly scared of Australia....everyone is trying to bring us down.
bitch please..

See absolutely nothing at all wrong with what Warner said. He was under the belief, as were the closer in fielders, that the overthrow came off Sharma and that it was an unsportsmanlike run to take. He was wrong and it was unnecessary to mouth off about it, but in that context nothing wrong with giving Sharma a bit of stick for it. Sharma obviously shot back in his native tongue, and given the amount of sledging he did in the test series it was reasonable for Warner to infer it was an insult, and also reasonable to say if you're going to insult me do it in a language we both speak.

It's another case of the huge double standards and bitterness the non-Australian cricket world has about the Australian team and our sledging, stemming from our era of dominance where we not just crushed teams physically but mentally as well. Yes Warner is a mouthy little campaigner, but so is Kohli and Rohit Sharma, but where are the articles suggesting they should be banned for 6 months for some confrontational words?

Ok, read the article in it's entirety - what an absolute joke.

Warner needs to pull his head in a bit, no question, but the hyperbole and hysteria of that article is so blatant that I wonder if it's just meant to be a bit of a mind game before the World Cup.

wonder what the take is of ch9 commentators on this. im guessing they're loving it as it provides excitement, and tv ratings

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Warner is entitled to ask Sharma to repeat something directed at him so he can understand it, however sounds like he worded it in the worst way possible leaving it open to interpratation which is just really dumb stuff, and Cricket Australia should expect better.

Well no we won't, because it's absolutely nothing to do with Australian's success. It's all to do with a personal opinion of whether you like sledging or not. Crowe and Agnew do not.
then where are crowe and agnews opinion pieces of jimmy anderson when he does the same thing and shoot his mouth off, when dale steyn consistantly gets in the faces of opposition players when taking a wicket etc

then where are crowe and agnews opinion pieces of jimmy anderson when he does the same thing and shoot his mouth off, when dale steyn consistantly gets in the faces of opposition players when taking a wicket etc

Not being a listener of TMS, I have no idea of Agnew's stance on Anderson, but I'm fairly sure he isn't a stupid **** who works on the basis "sledging by own countrymen = fine, sledging by foreigners = bad". There's no need for gotchas or anything here. They don't like it. By anyone. The end. There's plenty more like them. Whenever some stupid brainless thing happens one of them will write about how brainless and stupid it was. (and it should go without saying that Australia's own success is not reliant on how much they sledge)

See absolutely nothing at all wrong with what Warner said. He was under the belief, as were the closer in fielders, that the overthrow came off Sharma and that it was an unsportsmanlike run to take. He was wrong and it was unnecessary to mouth off about it, but in that context nothing wrong with giving Sharma a bit of stick for it. Sharma obviously shot back in his native tongue, and given the amount of sledging he did in the test series it was reasonable for Warner to infer it was an insult, and also reasonable to say if you're going to insult me do it in a language we both speak.

It's another case of the huge double standards and bitterness the non-Australian cricket world has about the Australian team and our sledging, stemming from our era of dominance where we not just crushed teams physically but mentally as well. Yes Warner is a mouthy little campaigner, but so is Kohli and Rohit Sharma, but where are the articles suggesting they should be banned for 6 months for some confrontational words?

It's funny, we sledge and intimidate and people have massive tantrums - Kohli comes over here and is a mouthy, combatative little prick... And as a result, is respected by the majority of Australian cricket fans (myself included).

I reckon Warner is entitled to ask Sharma to repeat something directed at him so he can understand it, however sounds like he worded it in the worst way possible leaving it open to interpratation which is just really dumb stuff, and Cricket Australia should expect better.

Blown out of proportion for me.

It sounds bad on the surface, but he said it because he actually wanted to know what was being said, not because he was giving him s**t about being Indian.

Do you realize how far you've gone to justify Warner's actions? Yeah I noticed you've called his actions unnecessary, but still say it was okay for him to give Sharma some stick.

This, even after Warner himself admitted he was wrong to engage Sharma.

And I love the justification of the players believing it deflected off Sharma. Perhaps instead of instigating conflict they could've just began to ask Sharma if it hit him? But nah lets just assume they played against the spirit of the game (cuz y'know, 'straya never does that) and let's sledge him instead.

It's not all about 'straya.

Last edited:
Blown out of proportion for me.

It sounds bad on the surface, but he said it because he actually wanted to know what was being said, not because he was giving him s**t about being Indian.
Yeah, I don't think there was any prejudice in it, but yelling 'speak english' at someone is something you'd want to avoid if at all possible.

On Kohli, I like his attitude towards the other team on field, but I think it's a poor look when he gets in the umpires face about a decision. Even ignoring the DRS fiasco. I think he's going to be incredibly similar to Ponting as captain of India, good and the bad.

I wonder if Warner playing in India will be told to "Speak Hindi". Would be great watching a bogan stumbling over his words. Absolute drop kick of a bloke and overrated batsman too.

Hopefully he retires soon so he can enjoy glassing innocent bystanders at pubs and drinking VB from his porch.
Clearly your personal opinion of the bloke is clouding your common sense, or you have little or no knowledge of the game.
His weight of runs speak for his ability with the bat........your post speak for your ignorance!

Do you realize how far you've gone to justify Warner's actions? Yeah I noticed you've called his actions unnecessary, but still say it was okay for him to give Sharma some stick.

This, even after Warner himself admitted he was wrong to engage Sharma.

And I love the justification of the players believing it deflected off Sharma. Perhaps instead of instigating conflict they could've just began to ask Sharma if it hit him? But nah lets just assume they played against the spirit of the game (cuz y'know, 'straya never does that) and let's sledge him instead.

It's not all about 'straya.
Yes by definition all sledging is unnecessary. If a fast bowler has a batsman playing and missing it is entirely unnecessary for them to let them know all about it, but that doesn't mean it isn't okay. That is the nature of sledging. I think Warner's saying he was wrong was re: the fact that the ball didn't hit Sharma and therefore he was perfectly within his rights to take the run, he also said he will continue to be aggressive on the field.

And as it stands the only thing we know that was said was Warner's 'speak English' at the end, for all you know they could've intially been asking 'did you hit that' and Sharma's response was to tell them to GTFO in Marathi, hence the escalation.

Yes by definition all sledging is unnecessary. If a fast bowler has a batsman playing and missing it is entirely unnecessary for them to let them know all about it, but that doesn't mean it isn't okay. That is the nature of sledging. I think Warner's saying he was wrong was re: the fact that the ball didn't hit Sharma and therefore he was perfectly within his rights to take the run, he also said he will continue to be aggressive on the field.

And as it stands the only thing we know that was said was Warner's 'speak English' at the end, for all you know they could've intially been asking 'did you hit that' and Sharma's response was to tell them to GTFO in Marathi, hence the escalation.

The article I've read has Warner admitting he was wrong to engage Sharma. So going off that it is likely he wasn't asking that question. Otherwise I presume that's what he would've reported.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back