When the Spirit of the Game comes under fire

Remove this Banner Ad

The article I've read has Warner admitting he was wrong to engage Sharma. So going off that it is likely he wasn't asking that question. Otherwise I presume that's what he would've reported.

There were some pretty amusing comments though. One that Warner 'did the polite thing'; not sure he's ever done that to an opposition player. The second howler is when he starts talking about cricket etiquette - no modern cricketer can talk about that with a straight face. We even get it decoded by Lehmann - "It's not an ideal scenario, but we've got to make sure we're playing the cricket we want to play without crossing the line". Which is basically translated as "nothing to see here, carry on".

look. for me, if an aussie sledges its ok.

if a foreigner does it, it's rude and steps over the line of gamesmanship

Absolutely this, we know how to do it properly with the right amount of agro and without being whiny sooky little bitches, as soon as they figure out how to do that then they can sledge too, but I've seen nothing to indicate that this will ever be the case, so they should just steer clear altogether.

Absolutely this, we know how to do it properly with the right amount of agro and without being whiny sooky little bitches, as soon as they figure out how to do that then they can sledge too, but I've seen nothing to indicate that this will ever be the case, so they should just steer clear altogether.
Your sarcasm detector might be turned off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

900x900px-LL-658002b7_joke_over_your_head.jpeg

Warner really is an embarrassment. Has been so for quite some time. Picked a fight again when he was in the wrong. He was being 'polite?'. What a pathetic excuse from a dropkick idiot.

Fantastic batsman, and in career best form. Just wish he would shut the f**k up and get on with the game.

As far as I'm concerned it's incredibly simple:

The umpire is there to give you out. If you nick it and stand your ground, that's fine. Because you will certainly be given out on occasions when you haven't. If a batsmen wants to walk, that's fine as well, just don't act all precious and self-righteous (i.e. 100% of all modern cricketers) when the opposition don't.

This is how i see it, it all evens out in the end. Let the umpire do his job. The only time I think you should walk is if it is obvious but for some extraordinary reason the umpire was unable to do his job like a seagull flew into his face or something.

Perhaps also if you are umpiring your own team and you nick one, probably best to walk and not put it on your teammate to have to do the deed.

I think the bowler should give one warning then it is fair game.
Agree with this for mankad. Further, i would not have a problem with no warning on the last ball of an innings where the batsman often sprint straight away or even too early. If a few mankads were performed in this situation it would become culturally acceptable and a reminder that you cannot jump the gun to get that last bye or run.

Fantastic batsman, and in career best form. Just wish he would shut the f**k up and get on with the game.
Warner came across to me as an angry man busting for a fight, hence I totally agree.

There was nothing "polite" in his demeanour.

Lol at the hysteria over this.

The sledging that happened in the golden era for Australia would make most of this seem pretty tame. People were happy to let it slide because we were so utterly dominent.

Get off your soap boxes, you probably say worse to your mates at the pub for christs sake.

Yep, someone ... yes you Boof, needs to tell Warner to keep away from this sort of thing. A little good natured sledging is one thing, but Warner has been crossing the line for some time now. There's nothing the Indians would love more than to see him suspended, so why not keep goading him?

On the other hand, a mate of mine played against India back in the days of Bedi, Prasanna, Chandrasekhar, etc where they would crowd the batsmen with 2 fielders both sides of the wicket. He said there is nothing more annoying than listening to them chirping away in Indian tongue whilst the bowler was bowling the ball. It was getting under his skin, and boy did they know it.

The Indians are not blameless for a lot of this, but Warner needs to suck it up better than he does.

On the other hand, a mate of mine played against India back in the days of Bedi, Prasanna, Chandrasekhar, etc where they would crowd the batsmen with 2 fielders both sides of the wicket. He said there is nothing more annoying than listening to them chirping away in Indian tongue whilst the bowler was bowling the ball. It was getting under his skin, and boy did they know it.

did he tell them to speak english?

The Indians are not blameless for a lot of this, but Warner needs to suck it up better than he does.

That's the bit I simply don't get. All the batsman needs to do is walk away. Tell the umpire he wants peace and quiet. Or, as some have advocated, walk back with the bowler chatting in his ear and see how much he likes it. It goes for all nations too.

In warners press conference he apologised for his actions, and explained carefully. He added that he should have taken an alternative approach, and simply walked away, or in his words "should've went over there... (to the other side of the pitch)"

Mr Warner, I believe the correct way of saying that is should have gone....

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back