When will Alastair Clarkson get the credit he deserves?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 14, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Alastair Clarkson is a revelation to AFL football and especially to the Hawthorn Football Club.

He came in with a plan, and martyred himself to whole football world with his diligence and belief in what he was doing for our club.

All the footy experts ridiculed him, but he never wavered.

What a revelation he has been. The Hawthorn Football Club has turned a fairly poor culture (from 1992-2003) into one of the the hardest and most unified club's in the competition.

They not only have a crack, they show immense discipline and work for each other.

They have no right to be 4 and 2. They are a bunch of kids only at the birth of their development. But they are.

This is what team-work and desire does.

The Senior players are loving their footy, the kids are disciplined, hard and tough.

All our kids including Buddy are talking like leaders years in advance of their age.

When will Alastair Clarkson get some credit?

Even watching On The Couch the other night it was as if Walls and Sheehan were holding back. Couldn't say anything good, so kept it brief.

I love Clarko and I am so grateful he came to our club.

Best young coach since Worsfold. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

When Hawthorn doesn't drop of after the first 1/2 dozen or so games and are still going strong at the end of the seasons, neither of which Hawthorn has done since Clarkson began coaching.

That original post could have been a carbon copy of something written about Grant Thomas in 2003/04.

Same situation, same lines ....

He came in with a plan, and martyred himself to whole football world with his diligence and belief in what he was doing for our club.

Yep, Grant Thomas.

All the footy experts ridiculed him, but he never wavered.

Yep.

The Hawthorn (St. Kilda?) Football Club has turned a fairly poor culture (from 1992-2003) into one of the the hardest and most unified club's in the competition.

Yep.

The Senior players are loving their footy, the kids are disciplined, hard and tough.
All our kids including Buddy (Riewoldt) are talking like leaders years in advance of their age.

Yep.

The parallels are scary ... I think Clarkson is a great coach.

IMO the board would have had the view that he would be axed as soon as the Hawks were on the verge of a flag, so that a "master coach" could take them all the way.

I think you may find this scenario has changed somewhat ...

He will get credit when he actually delivers something.

He does not appear to be outstanding to most people outside of the Hawks, so he will not get credit from those outside until he has delivered somehthing.

I first got excited by him when he came across from Port Adelaide and the entourage that followed him.

This included Andrew Russell. i remember thinking at the time the enormous respect they must have had for him to leave a club who just won a premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably when Hawthorn fans make their minds up about whether they support him as a coach.

Just so hot and cold with you lot.

His game plan was thrown out the window after it was shown to be a total failure in round one .... and all of a sudden his team of young superstars started winning.

What a great game plan: flood at all costs. Such a unique idea.

Were you at the game Saturday? Hawthorn ran your team off their backsides. Worked hard and your blokes were just too blatantly lazy to respond. You need to stop reading and listening to crap from both the media and your coach. I am not going to jump on the "Clarkson" bandwagon just yet, but one thing is for sure, he has the team playing an exciting brand of footy at the moment. Anyone that says any different, obviously haven't seen too many of Hawthorn's games this year.

Its round 6 for christs sake.

Make the top 8 by the end of round 22 and then post something like this.

The Hawks wee in the same situation at this time last season, and look what happened then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back