When will Alastair Clarkson get the credit he deserves?

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs repeating that 2014 and 2015 were back to back mauling of opponents. Hadn't happened in 5 decades prior. Not even the 80s hawks
Too right.
The 2014 flag had a lot of people predicting Hawthorn would be getting the belting.
In 2015 we were against a team that had made us look pedestrian in the QF final a few weeks before forcing us to play four weeks running including two trips to perth - yet still won by 46 points on the day.

Needs repeating that 2014 and 2015 were back to back mauling of opponents. Hadn't happened in 5 decades prior. Not even the 80s hawks

Too right.
The 2014 flag had a lot of people predicting Hawthorn would be getting the belting.
In 2015 we were against a team that had made us look pedestrian in the QF final a few weeks before forcing us to play four weeks running including two trips to perth - yet still won by 46 points on the day.

Ceglar, Simkin and Sewell were the emergencies in 2014.

The following players were next in line; Hartung, Schoenmakers, Litherland, Cheney.

Hawks had crazy depth in 2014

I agree with this. I think it is understated how even the Hawks were at their peak.

I also hold the opinion that it is players 15-25 that goes a long way to deciding who wins. Every team has stars, even the bottom sides. Not many have depth.

Premierships are a perfect storm. Multiple premierships are a very perfect storm.
I had a close look at the Hawthorn Premiership teams since 2008. There are players in those sides I doubt anyone but a Hawthorn fan even remembers. I can honestly say there were names I hadn't heard of...but I guess that is as it is. I have no doubt they all played their part.

I had a close look at the Hawthorn Premiership teams since 2008. There are players in those sides I doubt anyone but a Hawthorn fan even remembers. I can honestly say there were names I hadn't heard of...but I guess that is as it is. I have no doubt they all played their part.

Who 'stands out' from the 2000 premiers?

16 hawks won all three flags so some pretty impressive forgetting going on

Ceglar, Simkin and Sewell were the emergencies in 2014.

The following players were next in line; Hartung, Schoenmakers, Litherland, Cheney.

Hawks had crazy depth in 2014

The driver in 14 was that the swans had a habit of coming back strongly against us...which didn't eventuate

In 15 they were just enjoying the kill like....dare I say it.....a cat

Who 'stands out' from the 2000 premiers?

16 hawks won all three flags so some pretty impressive forgetting going on

And a couple more won 2 flags. Frawley only won one. Maybe he is the player Marcus didnt know. Or maybe its Schoenmakers. Even though there have been dozens of threads mocking him over the years.

I dare say the real reason is he is unable to watch our games because us doing what Geelong couldnt really hurts.

Geelong 2008 Steve Johnson in defence lonergan at FF?

Underdone stokes and chapman leaving just 'brain fade' Mooney chipscabbing in the pockets

'Didn't kick straight?' Completely ballsed it up probably due to a god complex.

Such a team is ripe for the picking. clarko nullified midfielders kicking goals and the rest is history
"Didn't kick straight," but take out those pesky rushed behinds everyone still cries about, and hawthorn had more scoring shots.

2008 Geelong were very accurate, but they also overposessed the ball all year, making sure they could shoot from the goalsquare. They were balls up in the grand final because they had to shoot under pressure from greater than 25m out.
2 shots (ottens on the run, mooney at half time) were monties, other than that though...

The 2008 grand final Geelong probably did lose it - because they really didn't have a hell of a challenge all year. They effectively had a 30 week preseason, and were caught napping

And a couple more won 2 flags. Frawley only won one. Maybe he is the player Marcus didnt know. Or maybe its Schoenmakers. Even though there have been dozens of threads mocking him over the years.

I dare say the real reason is he is unable to watch our games because us doing what Geelong couldnt really hurts.
I have not even watched Geelong's victories again. I guess AFL is really not that important to me.

I have not even watched Geelong's victories again. I guess AFL is really not that important to me.

Pray tell, then why are you posting on an AFL forum?

C'mon mate when there's nothing better to watch on TV you should do yourself a favour and settle down with a glass of red and re-watch your golden era.

At no stage during his entire career has Clarkson coached a Hawks team with a better lineup than the rest of the comp - every year other contenders have been running around with teams better man for man than us...

What rubbish. Maybe Sydney in 2014, but that's it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What rubbish. Maybe Sydney in 2014, but that's it.
So, excluding 2005-06-07-9-10 because that would be silly, you're telling me that Hawthorn was better on paper than Geelong in 2008, Collingwood and Geelong in 2011, Sydney in 2012, Freo and Geelong in 2013, WC and Freo in 2015 and the entire top 8 in 2016, but not as good as Sydney in 2014...?

So, excluding 2005-06-07-9-10 because that would be silly, you're telling me that Hawthorn was better on paper than Geelong in 2008, Collingwood and Geelong in 2011, Sydney in 2012, Freo and Geelong in 2013, WC and Freo in 2015 and the entire top 8 in 2016, but not as good as Sydney in 2014...?

My take;
  1. Geelong were the best side in 2008
  2. Hawthorn were the best side in 2012 and lost
  3. Hawthorn were the best side in 2013, 2014 and 2015
  4. All other years there were better sides than Hawthorn.

My take;
I'd agree with that.

How anyone could suggest those Fremantle sides were better on paper than Hawthorn is absurd.

Somewhere n 13-15 the AA team was picked so badly that, if you ignored the bench ( which is filled very good players in AA and just up an comers in a premiership team) the starting 18 of Hawthorn would have had a good shot at defeating them.

System over talent

My take;
In all five of those, the best side didn't win the GF according to the masses here on BF. Geelong, Freo and Sydney were the pre match favourites in all three they lost, I seem to recall a fair degree of angst at the time here on BF when anyone dared to suggest the 2012 Hawks were a better side than Sydney, and up until the GF the 2015 season belonged to the Eagles. A lot of you guys really don't have a good recall of your own conversations...isn't hindsight a lovely thing...

In all five of those, the best side didn't win the GF according to the masses here on BF. Geelong, Freo and Sydney were the pre match favourites in all three they lost, I seem to recall a fair degree of angst at the time here on BF when anyone dared to suggest the 2012 Hawks were a better side than Sydney, and up until the GF the 2015 season belonged to the Eagles. A lot of you guys really don't have a good recall of your own conversations...isn't hindsight a lovely thing...

I recall.

Opposition supporters hate, and I mean HATE Hawthorn's success.

And so does the media. Add that the ex Hawks in the media are not Hawthorn fanboys (Dunstall, Matthews never goo over the Hawks, Dermie maybe a little). Compare that to the way that the Essendon media constantly drink the Kool aid for Essendon or Roos does for Sydney etc.

The result is no one is advocating for how good Hawthorn are except Hawthorn supporters. And everyone wants to see Hawthorn fail.

But make no mistake. They all know how good a Hawthorn really is and was.

Everyone needs to play to their audience

I love how opposition posters make out that Clarko is some kind of out of control baby killing psychopath. Even read s**t like "They don't care about people and behaving properly - they're willing to sacrifice decent values for flags yada yada"

Talk about headf**ked

Remove this Banner Ad

Back