When will the Carlton FC Arrive? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
I believe Carlton not making the 8 was also part of that prediction.

Thank god they allowed me to get part of it right...

Happy to be told where I've been wrong about Carlton since I joined BigFooty nearly 15 years ago...
Hindsight at it's best, we'll wait for the next couple of years and see how you fare.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Happy for you to share those specific predictions.

All I recall saying was that BOTH Melbourne AND Carlton would not be replacing perennial finalists West Coast AND Collingwood.

1 prediction, which was in fact correct.

Great stuff, can see the exact fallacy in attempting to use recent history to guide predictions.

Anyone with any sense could infer Collingwood's slide after their horrible off-season, subsequent culture killing and general burnout.

Hindsight at it's best, we'll wait for the next couple of years and see how you fare.

Already asked him where Carlton would finish ... apparently needs more time to formulate an equation for finishing ...

The fact my analysis and predictions about Carlton have been correct for the past 15 years is regarded as hindsight?!?

Who/what am I dealing with here?!?

* mate, you missed your calling, you should do ... something I guess, gambling, list management, CEO of a stock firm lol....

Ed is the least of our issues. Until someone outside the likes of Walsh, Hewett, Cerra can find/win the ball as much as he can, he will remain in the side

Cripps is pretty good at finding the footy, especially when he's not playing injured. Hopefully this improves under Voss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't believe either team will be contending within the next three years.

I think we're about to enter a new era of super teams, like we saw between 2009 and 2011 with Geelong/Pies/Saints, where 3 or 4 teams will put a gap between themselves and the rest of the competition.

Melbourne
Doggies
Maybe Port or (less likely) Sydney

I'm not sold on Brisbane.

Try and stick to the criteria, Pies v Carlton.

In the next 3 years, Pies will not contend/make finals ahead of Carlton. Yes or No

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Try and stick to the criteria, Pies v Carlton.

In the next 3 years, Pies will not contend/make finals ahead of Carlton. Yes or No
Look, I know making the finals would be the equivalent of winning a premiership for Carlton supporters, but as I mentioned earlier, I believe there will be a period of super teams for the next 3 or so years who will put a gap between themselves and the rest of the competition.

Neither Carlton nor Collingwood will be one of those teams, so I don't really care to predict if either of those teams will be making up the numbers in the top 8.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Look, I know making the finals would be the equivalent of winning a premiership for Carlton supporters, but as I mentioned earlier, I believe there will be a period of super teams for the next 3 or so years who will put a gap between themselves and the rest of the competition.

Neither Carlton nor Collingwood will be one of those teams, so I don't really care to predict if either of those teams will be making up the numbers in the top 8.

Easy to fix, we can remove the 3 year time frame

Pies won't contend/make finals before Carlton. Yes or No?

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Easy to fix, we can remove the 3 year time frame

Pies won't contend/make finals before Carlton. Yes or No?
Can't conclusively answer that.

At the moment neither side has the makings of a premiership contender, so I would need to use the following logic:

1. Carlton have failed to contend for a premiership in each of their previous three rebuilds.

2. Collingwood have successfully contended for premierships in each of their previous three rebuilds.

Based on the above, I'd have to go with Collingwood being the first to contend for a premiership of the two teams.

But this thread is about Carlton.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Can't conclusively answer that.

At the moment neither side has the makings of a premiership contender, so I would need to use the following logic:

1. Carlton have failed to contend for a premiership in each of their previous three rebuilds.

2. Collingwood have successfully contended for premierships in each of their previous three rebuilds.

Based on the above, I'd have to go with Collingwood being the first to contend for a premiership of the two teams.

But this thread is about Carlton.

I know it's a Carlton thread, hence the the comparisons to other sides. At lease you have, somewhat, answered the question, that you believe the Pies will contend/make finals before Carlton.

That being the case, finally a definitive call, what I propose is this. The loser will have their username changed for a year to reflect - "I am actually a closet supporter of <insert opposition name>"

Chief could make the changes once one of our sides makes the 8

Deal?

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Technically Carlton have ‘contended’ the same number of times Collingwood have the past 30 years.

History doesn’t look kindly upon the Grand Final losers, and unfortunately footy isn’t tennis where you’ve got a rolling interim points score. You’re only as good as your last season.

Sadly for the Pies cultural issues take years to address, and they’ve got more than the Catholic Church. A lot of heavy lifting required to amend the issues at board level, raise leadership standards and rid the club of decades of systemic racism.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know it's a Carlton thread, hence the the comparisons to other sides. At lease you have, somewhat, answered the question, that you believe the Pies will contend/make finals before Carlton.

That being the case, finally a definitive call, what I propose is this. The loser will have their username changed for a year to reflect - "I am actually a closet supporter of <insert opposition name>"

Chief could make the changes once one of our sides makes the 8

Deal?
What does contend/make finals even mean?

They are not one in the same thing.

I am not predicting who will be the first to make finals and make up the numbers.

My 'guess' about who will contend first is just that, using the minimal data I have at my disposal as neither team imo has the makings of a premiership contender.

Thirdly, why would I want to make a bet with someone I don't even know?

Move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back