When will the Carlton FC Arrive? Part 2

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
If Cripps gets back to 100% I'll cry in happiness on our way to the top 4. That being said I'm preparing my tear glands for a 10th place finish and have a few buckets of leftover Gyprock to repair the holes in the walls of my living room that will follow.

If Cripps gets back to his best, we've got the best inside mid in the comp along with arguably the best all-round mid in the comp. Followed by the best KPF in the comp and one of the best KPD's in the comp.

s**t list.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If Cripps gets back to his best, we've got the best inside mid in the comp along with arguably the best all-round mid in the comp. Followed by the best KPF in the comp and one of the best KPD's in the comp.

sh*t list.
If that's the case, it might be time to climb out of the bottom third of the ladder and prove the doubters wrong, yeah?

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
If that's the case, it might be time to climb out of the bottom third of the ladder and prove the doubters wrong, yeah?
captain-obvious-obvious.gif

captain-obvious-obvious2.gif

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Are you really that interested in my assessment that you want me to repeat it for a third time?!?

o_O o_O o_O
I'm not asking for an assessment. It's a simple answer.

Make some specific predictions.

"You may make finals over the next 2-3 years" is so vague you can be proven right no matter the outcome.

If we make finals you are right.
If we make top 4 you are still right.
If we never make finals, in the end you're still right as your prediction of us being overall no good will have come to fruition.

You tend to make overarching statements that are vague and broad that can never really have a clear answer and therefore never be fully wrong. Clever in a way.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not asking for an assessment. It's a simple answer.

Make some specific predictions.

"You may make finals over the next 2-3 years" is so vague you can be proven right no matter the outcome.

If we make finals you are right.
If we make top 4 you are still right.
If we never make finals, in the end you're still right as your prediction of us being overall no good will have come to fruition.

You tend to make overarching statements that are vague and broad that can never really have a clear answer and therefore never be fully wrong. Clever in a way.
No, I've also said you won't contend.

Plenty of teams make top 4 but don't contend, whilst conversely, plenty of teams contend from outside the top 4 after the home and away season.

I actually can't think of a better way to state my prediction...

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm assuming by contending you mean make a Grand Final?
Nope, not at all.

I have recently shared a list of who I believe were the contending teams for every year since 2000 in another thread.

As examples:
In 2000, noone was ever going to beat Essendon in 2000. In my view there were no other contenders.
In 2011, I had Geelong, Collingwood and Hawthorn as contenders.
In 2016, such was the evenness of the season (culminating in the Bulldogs winning from 7th), I thought there were 6 different contenders.

This year, I reckon the top 5 teams were all contenders, Brisbane probably borderline given their finals performances and the fact they only just snuck into the top four in the last round, but many rated them a chance heading into the finals series.

Last edited:

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Nope, not at all.

I have recently shared a list of who I believe were the contending teams for every year since 2000 in another thread.

As examples:
In 2000, noone was ever going to beat Essendon in 2000. In my view there were no other contenders.
In 2011, I had Geelong, Collingwood and Hawthorn as contenders.
In 2016, such was the evenness of the season (culminating in the Bulldogs winning from 7th), I thought there were 6 different contenders.

This year, I reckon the top 5 teams were all contenders, Brisbane probably borderline given their finals performances and the fact they only just snuck into the top four in the last round, but many rated them a chance heading into the finals series.

Again, your definition of contending is so broad, vague and ever-changing, leaving your predictions to be judged correctly or incorrectly by you and you only.

We could make the GF next year and lose, only for you to say "sorry, I never considered you contenders".

I imagine given your hatred of Carlton, unless we win a Premiership you will never label us contenders. Therefore your prediction of us never contending essentially means you are predicting we won't win a flag, which is probably more likely than unlikely given how hard they are to win.

Back