When will the Carlton FC Arrive?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 2 of this thread is here:

There’s a lot of naïveté from yourself.

Predicting a likely outcome doesn’t equate to having knowledge of that outcome. Teague knew the review would incorporate all elements of the clubs internal functioning and saw the writing on the wall after delivering a shocking performance as head coach this year.

It’s not hard to work out the expectations of this year and the reality were poles apart and there would be consequences - Teague was a major reason for that.

We were discussing leaks relating to the review - this has nothing to do with members of the board, which is why the club was able to disclose this info.

You're being very naïve if you think there were no leaks at this point.

He and Jezza were first time coaches that won a flag at Carlton, wasn't tat your question?

Yeah but they were both captain coaches. Obviously it's not the same thing as appointing a full time coach from scratch, giving that coach support, and seeing that coach through to a premiership. That's from a more unprofessional era in regards to coaching.

I don’t have a problem with a president coming out and stating they want to make finals next year. However it seems really strange to do it before you have appointed a coach and outlined your plan to do so, it just seems like a blanket “we expect to improve because we’re young” statement.

It’s all well and good to expect improvement but St Kilda, Fremantle, Hawthorn, Adelaide are also young and expecting improvement and had similar or better results this season. Not to mention Richmond may well bounce back and Sydney and Essendon are 6th and 8th and very young. It’s a strange call from a president without having sat down with the coach and football department and mapped out what they’re going to do to put perform all those clubs.

I don’t have a problem with a president coming out and stating they want to make finals next year. However it seems really strange to do it before you have appointed a coach and outlined your plan to do so, it just seems like a blanket “we expect to improve because we’re young” statement.

It’s all well and good to expect improvement but St Kilda, Fremantle, Hawthorn, Adelaide are also young and expecting improvement and had similar or better results this season. Not to mention Richmond may well bounce back and Sydney and Essendon are 6th and 8th and very young. It’s a strange call from a president without having sat down with the coach and football department and mapped out what they’re going to do to put perform all those clubs.

tbf it's very on brand for Carlton

It's actually that we are an older squad that we expect to make the finals next season.

You don't appoint Ross Lyon as coach of an experienced group and anticipate anything less.

Nothing wrong with them wanting finals, there list has the potential and players can see that, the lack of a stable coach and board is whats holding them back. Look at Prestia in 2016, came to Richmond because he saw the list as building something special, i think it could be something similar for Cerra. Granted thats not to say i think they play finals next year

We missed the finals by 3 games despite significant injuries, instability due to the review and a presumably incompetent senior coach.

I think it's reasonable to expect that we make finals with a competent head coach (Lyon), stability within the club and (hopefully) better luck with injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's actually that we are an older squad that we expect to make the finals next season.

You don't appoint Ross Lyon as coach of an experienced group and anticipate anything less.

If I was a Carlton supporter I’d be annoyed by it, seems like the same pattern you’ve been down before, we’ve just sacked an underperforming coach, we’re bringing in a gun coach and we expect that to finish.

Don’t take this as an attack on Carlton either. Roo said the same thing about us but for 2023 and I felt the same way: why do you think that? What are we going to do between now and that to put us in the best 8 teams? It’s not that I don’t think we can do it, but a nothing statement like that doesn’t mean a lot and puts unnecessary pressure on the club.

If I was a Carlton supporter I’d be annoyed by it, seems like the same pattern you’ve been down before, we’ve just sacked an underperforming coach, we’re bringing in a gun coach and we expect that to finish.

Don’t take this as an attack on Carlton either. Roo said the same thing about us but for 2023 and I felt the same way: why do you think that? What are we going to do between now and that to put us in the best 8 teams? It’s not that I don’t think we can do it, but a nothing statement like that doesn’t mean a lot and puts unnecessary pressure on the club.

I've never understood why clubs remain so guarded about their aspirations to make finals.

That is the reason why they're playing footy, and when you're a few wins away the prior season it should be the natural course of things. We haven't gone out and sacked Teague so we could finish around the same mark.

I've never understood why clubs remain so guarded about their aspirations to make finals.

That is the reason why they're playing footy, and when you're a few wins away the prior season it should be the natural course of things. We haven't gone out and sacked Teague so we could finish around the same mark.

There’s a difference between an expectation and an aspiration.

“Our expectation based on the list that we have, we are looking to make finals in 2022,”

That reads to me that he’s evaluated their list and planning and EXPECTS to make finals. If I was a Carlton fan I’d want to know how the **** you make that call without first having signed a coach.

Just my opinion but it seems like another nothing statement aimed to appease the members and supporters, and if I was one I’d be sick to death of hearing them after the last 20 years.

If Teague was so dire, why hadn't he been forced to depart earlier?
This is a great day for football, Teague gets a full years pay, he gets to leave a toxic environment, we get to see boring Ross Lyon make Carlton games so boring not even hard core supporters will get there and key players will depart. I am personally looking forward to two more years of mediocre and venting before we see another coach come in and repeat the cycle.

Such a “tragic history” John Elliot opined a few years ago - so so true but a bit closer to home.

Teague was a horrendous coach, there’s no two ways about it.

His winning percentage dropped every single year despite additional senior players added each off-season, the club sat 17th for wins against top 8 clubs, played a cooked Marc Murphy to get him to 300 games (who then decided to call it quits after his milestone match, the snake) and couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag on game day.

His time was up.

All with one midfielder. And many half backs. Your list is terrible. You don't have the midfield to compete against the better teams. Williams as an inside...laughable!!

We missed the finals by 3 games despite significant injuries, instability due to the review and a presumably incompetent senior coach.

I think it's reasonable to expect that we make finals with a competent head coach (Lyon), stability within the club and (hopefully) better luck with injuries.

And with what midfield pray tell will they make finals?

Replaced Judd with Williams. One brown paper bag for another. Carlton, the gift that keeps on giving. Sh!tstain of an organisation. They will go with Lyon a backstabbing narsacist who coaches to not lose, and will never win a flag.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back