Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 2 of this thread is here:

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Serious question. Why does the media give this club so much credit and regularly talk about them being on the verge of jumping into a finals position? After tonight's result, they've started the last nine seasons 0-2.

Their results in the last 20 years:

2001 - 5th (semi final)
2002 - 16th (wooden spoon)
2003 - 15th
2004 - 11th
2005 - 16th (wooden spoon)
2006 - 16th (wooden spoon)

2007 - 15th
2008 - 11th
2009 - 7th (elimination final)
2010 - 8th (elimination final)

2011 - 5th (semi final)

2012 - 10th
2013 - 8th (semi final)
2014 - 13th
2015 - 18th (wooden spoon)
2016 - 14th
2017 - 16th
2018 - 18th (wooden spoon)
2019 - 16th
2020 - 11th

Three finals wins, five finals appearances (their most recent of which they didn't really earn), five wooden spoons, nine bottom 4 finishes and six mid-ladder finishes that were outside the finals.

Essendon cop a lot of grief for their lack of success in the last 20 years yet they've had double the amount of finals wins Carlton have had in the last 20 years and have received 1/5 of the amount of wooden spoons Carlton have.

I know my club has performed poorly for the last 10 years as well but the media have never really talked us up as finals chances but Carlton are constantly getting pumped up by the media.

I don't get it. What's with the media love affair for Carlton?

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
We're all thinking it. We're watching this story play out for the 4th time in the last 20 years and it's the same story every time. They have a great list of exciting players, they have elite players, drafted well and yet they're still not delivering.

I'm not invested.

About the same time Port don't choke on Preliminary Final day I dare say.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why does the media give this club so much credit and regularly talk about them being on the verge of jumping into a finals position?
After tonight's result, they've started the last nine seasons 0-2.
I don't get it. What's with the media love affair for Carlton?
Same reason the media pundits were always barracking for Richmond. Same reason they're always pumping up Essendon as a finals contender.

Lots of success-starved fans who would come out out of the woodwork if/when the Blues were to get their act together and make a serious charge towards September. Good for business. Bigger ratings, more clicks, more tickets sold, more memberships sold, more beers drank, more pies eaten, more jumpers scarves and beanies sold. More money in everyone's coffers when the "Big Four" teams are up and about.

The AFL media like to push a narrative rather than reporting on the actual events. Especially at this time of year when everyone is still feeling optimistic about their team's chances.

HUUUUGE game tonight: :D

They had to sell Carlton v Collingwood as a clash between 2 glamorous finals aspirants rather than 2 mid-table strugglers.

Last edited:

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
They are still playing too many players over 30 for a side that's meant to be developing
Other than Cripps who is looking like half the player he used to be, their tier of players either entering, or in their prime (24-29yo) are pretty mediocre.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back