When will the Carlton FC Arrive?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 2 of this thread is here:

No passive aggression left in the tank for a lifelong Carlton supporter whose best memory as a bagger was seeing Judd seal the game in an elimination final that we shouldn’t of even been in. Just aggression. Footscray, Swans and Richmond have all turned it around and then some in my 27 years. Carlton continue to be a rabble and it’s frankly embarrassing. I can remember a Collingwood, Essendon and obviously; a Richmond flag. Not a Carlton flag. How can we consider ourselves a big four club when we overpay the likes of Daisy and McGovern? How can we have Oliver approach us, tell us he wants to play for us and fail to get him over the line? How can we not listen to literally anyone with half a brain outside of our club who says Cripps’ needs more support, then be surprised when he is down on output and clearly carrying an injury?

We’re a joke, just not as much of a joke as Fremantle. So I won’t cop that from a bloke who supports a team that we dismantled despite having 6 best 22 players out (Fisher, Martin, Curnow, Marchbank, TDK, Newman) the same team, who is a chance to lose their second most promising talent (let’s be honest, Brayshaw is a star) to us.

Now, please stop shitting on this fragile Carlscum supporter and help me see any upside in our side. Because, even though the margin and scoring shots suggest we played well - we didn’t; we were awful.

Also, sorry - you don’t have to go fu** yourself.

I have. He’s like 77% for DE. He can kick, he went at 88% against your mob. He is just played out of position.
It's just a game dude, chill the **** out. Don't rely on others to make you happy or you'll have a miserable life.

I genuinely think you're confusing him with someone else here. Cunnigham maybe?
It's definitely not Dow.

I've been racking my brain all weekend and most of today to come up with a way Carlton can turn this around. I looked at countless scenarios involving player movement, recruiting, development, coaching, game plans etc.

As for solutions, I came up with zero, zip, zilch, nadda! In desperation, I even tried to wargame a situation where Chris Judd was still playing, and yet Carlton still lost.

Alls I can offer the long suffering Carlton supporter is the comforting words of Edgar Allan Poe - "False hope is nicer than no hope at all."

I've been racking my brain all weekend and most of today to come up with a way Carlton can turn this around. I looked at countless scenarios involving player movement, recruiting, development, coaching, game plans etc.

As for solutions, I came up with zero, zip, zilch, nadda! In desperation, I even tried to wargame a situation where Chris Judd was still playing, and yet Carlton still lost.

Alls I can offer the long suffering Carlton supporter is the comforting words of Edgar Allan Poe - "False hope is nicer than no hope at all."
You can't find a solution for us despite our squad having:

Walsh, Weitering, McKay, Cripps, Williams, Saad?

Think harder.

We are not in a diabolical state but we need fixing.

Think harder.

Clean out the assistants. Rejig your development and recruiting, because something is obviously going wrong where supposedly talented 18 year olds haven't become anything of note at Carlton. Hit the draft hard for 2 or 3 years like Port did recently, and apologise if any of your recently traded-in players were looking for instant success.

Clean out the assistants. Rejig your development and recruiting, because something is obviously going wrong where suppesdly talented 18 year olds haven't become anything of note at Carlton. Hit the draft hard for 2 or 3 years like Port did recently, and apologise if any of your recently traded-in players were looking for instant success.
Yep. Nailed it imo.

The disappointment one can live with. It's the hope that kills

You shouldn't broadcast your lack of intelligence to the world.

Many others have posted solutions, heck it's even in the papers. Have a read of other people's solutions and don't think so hard - it doesn't appear to be your strong suit.

Carlton just looked off the pace v port. A much better well drilled team. It’s never as bad as it looks. It seems our worst games have been at the mcg lately. The open ground allowing for our zone defence to be cut apart. Richmond (78 inside 50s). Collingwood. And now port. All poor performances from Carlton.

plenty to look forward to when we can get our best players on the park.

carlton need to throw away a lot of their assistants. Particularly Bruce, Barker and Stanton. If you watched our vfl side last game there are plenty of kids to come into this team once they get some games together. Philp, honey, Stocker to name a few. Teague seems to be playing the best 22 available right now without taking into consideration who is best for the positions we are struggling with. Wing and HFF are positions we are filling with mids that either don’t defend.

McGovern will improve with more games after injury. SPS will improve off a wing or in the guts. Murphy need to be either the sub or playing vfl on the ball helping the kids. Our entire KP depth is gone. Either delisted or injured. We have no cover for anyone over 195 cm at the moment.

Betts needs to be in the vfl side teaching Durdin, Philp Oakes and honey. Ramsay is so close to getting a call up.

dow needs to play midfield on the ball in the vfl permanently for a whole season. Setterfield needs to return to on ball and Cripps needs to stop trying to do it all. He needs to give the handball and return to the space where a turnover could occur coming back.

weitering McKay and Walsh are our future but it would be nice to have Martin Fisher TDK and JSOS in the side who are tremendous with their vision and pressure.

Carlton need to get out if this next month with a 2-2 record. Surely we beat Essendon but Who is the other win coming from out of dogs, Bris and melb. All likely losses. 3-6 and it’s over for 2021. 4-5 and we have a slight chance still.

in 2022 (I know we say it a lot) it would be nice to have Curnow TDK kemp stocker Fisher all in the side. Carlton needs to start developing these kids quick. It’s not happening at the moment.

I’m glad many rusted on blues supporters are finally seeing that guys like Kennedy and Setterfield are not the way forward.

Teague needs to make a call whether he plays for the now or the future. Unfortunately it looks like his tenure is linked to the former.
Would like to know What the blues supporters opinion on SOS is now. Was undeservedly praised for a while by blues fans. Personally never understood the reason why

What would their best 22 look like at the start of 2023 Carlton fans?
Based on current list.

Based on current list, I'd hope a few would step up by 2023 (in Bold)

FBDochertyJonesParks *
HBWilliamsWeiteringSaad
CMartin *WalshCarroll *
HFFogartyCurnow *Durdin
FFFisher *MckaySilvagni *
FolDe Koning *Cripps *Kemp *
BenchPittonetNewman *CottrellSPS
23rd ManRamsey/ Plowman

* Injured / carrying injuries all year

If the bolded players can step up and play their role, honestly believe this is a possible top 4, premiership team.
The team that the media/ footy world were all basing our rise off...

But as you can see from all the * injuries, they have taken their toll this year at the moment we have 10 depth / old man players playing,
the bolded players haven't been able to prove themselves.. Hopefully by 2023 they are all fit and firing and we can see where they are at..

We certainly do need to continue to bring in more talent via draft or trade.

Also, honestly believe we will not reach our potential until we clean out our assistant coaches and have a major focus on player development
as we are majorly lacking in that department.. Having a stand alone VFL team will help in this area also.

Think harder.

Those six names are very good. The fact that SOS was only responsible for three of them (with two being consensus number one picks) is damning on his time in charge there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re obviously spending too much time on us. Are you ok? Do you need to talk to someone?

Matt Kennedy played wing for 70% of the game this weekend. Says just about everything there is to say about the club. A slow and poor by foot inside mid running around on the wing vs Amon and Houston.

Players have been played out of position for years now and to me screams a lack of faith in our system.

When Richmond lose a wingman they bring in their next best wingman. When Carlton lose a wingman we shuffle the magnets and send players who have no idea how to play that position there to fill a slot as they are the next best player on the list.

Carltons team selection is a bit like the All Aus selection committee last year with Bont Danger and Dusty picked forward over actual small forwards like Dan Butler and Tom Papley. Are Danger Bont and Dusty better players? absolutely. But there's a big difference between genuine wingman and genuine small forwards vs Goal kicking inside midfielders being played all over the ground.

Until Carlton have a system in which they can bring in players from the reserves to fill holes left by injuries and omissions we are going nowhere.

Petrevski Seton should have been trained and developed as a mid/half fwd from the beginning and when the issues that arose from playing him there came to light he should have been dropped to the 2s to keep developing his craft there while Ed Curnow and Murphy plugged the holes. Instead he gets moved to half back, Murphy and Ed Curnow get older and older and we have no genuine replacements ready to go.

Dow has a decent first season but doesn't have the endurance or body to cut it against AFL midfielders full time...moved to half forward... asked to take over as a core mid this year after not playing there for 2 years and he's nowhere near it.

Setterfield last year has a decent year as an inside mid. Walsh clearly tne far better player wants to take the reigns in the middle... what do we do? Send Setters out of the guts to play as a defensive intercepting wingman...

These players should have been playing their natural positions in the twos so they would be ready to take over when we inevitably moved past Murphy and Curnow. We're seeing the results of that now.

End of the day Carlton are a shambles and no matter how many top picks we get, unless we luck out on 6-7 Walsh's who basically develop themselves we will remain in a loop until someone at the club uses some common sense with selection and development.

It’s fine, Cerra will be a great young role model for Dow when he pulls on the Navy Blue in ‘21! For $150k less than Fremantle are offering too! Remember when McKay kicked 7.5 on your defence? Get the fu** out of this thread, Fremantle supporters have no say here; zero flags and zero chance of winning one in the next 10.

It’s fine, Cripps will be a great young role model for Valente when he pulls on the Mighty Purple in 22’. For $450k less than Carlton are offering too! Remember when a sh** freo team kicked 12.5 in one half against your defence? Get the fu** out of this thread, Carlton supporters have no say here; one flag, one salary cap breach and not one, not two, not three, not four, but five wooden spoons since 95’ and 22 years since a prelim add one shi*** rebuild (or two or three honestly I can’t keep up) and you zero chance of winning a premiership in the 50 years.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

show_image.php

QOYGtWzi.jpg

Blue1980 What's the deal with Dow

I just looked at his '19 highlights and he looked really promising. Had shades of Zac Butters. Has he dropped off significantly, were those highlights few and far between or has he not developed.

He could be a really good player. I do remember Billings taking a while to come on. Maybe it's a development issue, because I reckon he is good enough.

It’s really hard to say, he seems to lose confidence rapidly and go into his shell and become afraid to make mistakes.

He was ok round 1 v Richmond, then progressively got worse until he was dropped after r4.

Year 1 in 2018 he did some eye catching things bursting from packs, and was still given lots of midfield time until Bolton got sacked halfway through 2019.

Then when forced more to the fringes like half forward or wing, he seemed to do go backwards.

I think it might just be a case of a guy not getting any better than his junior days.

He still looks too small to me, kicking is an issue, isn’t hard enough at the contest, doesn’t run defensively hard enough, and doesn’t find enough ball on the outside. His only trick seems to be bursting from a pack every now and again and firing out a handball.

But yes he showed highlights early on that he has some breakaway speed, quick reactions and some nice running goals even.

I think he needs to be given every chance still, but he just might not be up to it. I do feel for him as he looks like he’s often scared to get the ball on the outside for fear of making a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back