Not open for further replies.
Part 2 of this thread is here:

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
JSOS is our biggest out.

We've won every game he's played whilst he's also been in our best. Were even beating Richmond in Rd1 before he was subbed off with an injury.

Williams is meh, he's not fit. How is he unable to get up for games due to "general soreness" this early in the season? What's he been doing? Needs 6 weeks in the cage with this guru Russell to get him right.

Yeah because Russell has worked so well for McGovern.

If we want to talk overrated Russell is right up there.

Le Archie

Team Captain
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Carlton seem pretty up and about after beating us considering they lost the inside 50 count, lost clearances, lost contested posession, contested marks, tackles, tackles in 50 and condeded 100 points to a bunch of first year players and other kids. Good on them for winning a game they absolutely had to win considering the expectations they have placed on themselves this season.

No doubt Walsh is an absolute star but if they dont make finals this year which isnt looking likely, I would be bloody furious as a fan.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
JSOS is our biggest out.

We've won every game he's played whilst he's also been in our best. Were even beating Richmond in Rd1 before he was subbed off with an injury.

Williams is meh, he's not fit. How is he unable to get up for games due to "general soreness" this early in the season? What's he been doing? Needs 6 weeks in the cage with this guru Russell to get him right.

Williams has a leg injury he's nursing through. Don't be surprised if he has a few weeks off.

IMO he is a HBF. That's his role and he is good at it. Move Stocker up onto the ball.

Jack is a loss but I reckon TDK coming back will make the biggest difference. Pittonet is still young and carrying the load by himself. With TDK they will be better combination and we can move on from Casboult who is really struggling. Newman will help as well. Underrated

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton seem pretty up and about after beating us considering they lost the inside 50 count, lost clearances, lost contested posession, contested marks, tackles, tackles in 50 to a bunch of first year players and other kids. Good on them for winning a game they absolutely had to win considering the expectations they have placed on themselves this season.

No doubt Walsh is an absolute star but if they dont make finals this year which isnt looking likely, I would be bloody furious as a fan.

Honestly this was my ladder pre season:

1. Port
2. Richmond
3. Bulldogs
4. Brisbane
5. Westcoast
6. Geelong
7. St Kilda
8. Freo
9. GWS
10. Carlton
11. Collingwood
12. Hawks
13. Goldcoast
14. Swans
15. Essendon
16. Melbourne (Whoops :p)
17. North
18. Adelaide

I thought we were 10-12 and could sneak into the 8 with all things going well.

Until we can move past players like Betts, Casboult and Murphy this is where we belong.

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Williams has a leg injury he's nursing through. Don't be surprised if he has a few weeks off.

IMO he is a HBF. That's his role and he is good at it. Move Stocker up onto the ball.

Jack is a loss but I reckon TDK coming back will make the biggest difference. Pittonet is still young and carrying the load by himself. With TDK they will be better combination and we can move on from Casboult who is really struggling. Newman will help as well. Underrated

Pittonet has been a huge disappointment for me this year. Struggles to get off the ground at the centre bounce and when he manages to get the hitout it typically goes to opposition advantage. We desperately need TDK.

Le Archie

Team Captain
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Honestly this was my ladder pre season:

1. Port
2. Richmond
3. Bulldogs
4. Brisbane
5. Westcoast
6. Geelong
7. St Kilda
8. Freo
9. GWS
10. Carlton
11. Collingwood
12. Hawks
13. Goldcoast
14. Swans
15. Essendon
16. Melbourne (Whoops :p)
17. North
18. Adelaide

I thought we were 10-12 and could sneak into the 8 with all things going well.

Until we can move past players like Betts, Casboult and Murphy this is where we belong.
Wouldnt you be furious to finish 10th after recruiting Saad and Williams on big coin? That's a statement of intent and if you don't make it then you've failed.

There is a lot of Essendon 2018 about this, big off season recuits and a terrible start to the year. In saying that we had a really strong backhalf and a lot of positivity going into 2019 but again we were trash.

You gotta love an early ladder predictor too! don't think anyone would have had Dees that high!

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

Depends. I expect us to be around 8-10th. If we fall into finals playing older players I won't be that excited.

What I want to see is continued improvement and for that to come from the younger players. If that happens I will be happy regardless of making finals

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Wouldnt you be furious to finish 10th after recruiting Saad and Williams on big coin? That's a statement of intent and if you don't make it then you've failed.

There is a lot of Essendon 2018 about this, big off season recuits and a terrible start to the year. In saying that we had a really strong backhalf and a lot of positivity going into 2019 but again we were trash.

You gotta love an early ladder predictor too! don't think anyone would have had Dees that high!

I didn't love the recruitment of Saad or Williams personally, but is what it is now. I think both have talent but are "cream on the cake" players. We need some of our kids to step up essentially.

I thought at the start of the season WCE, Bulldogs, Port, Brisbane and Brisbane were a lock for the top 5. After that I figured you could throw a net over 7-8 clubs to make up the numbers.

Melbourne have shocked me but good to see.

Le Archie

Team Captain
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Depends. I expect us to be around 8-10th. If we fall into finals playing older players I won't be that excited.

What I want to see is continued improvement and for that to come from the younger players. If that happens I will be happy regardless of making finals
Fair enough - genuine question though who are your young players showing improvement that are showing you potential of becoming good/great AFL players bar Walsh? Your best team is pretty much full of mature players in age already.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Did enough to beat a young Essendon side yesterday which will turn down the temperature, haven't seen a heap of Carlton this year but I did notice something yesterday, that game style is not going to work in pressure games against good teams. You can run and gun against a young Bombers side (who play that way anyway) but the lack of team defence stood out and it will lead to many valiant defeats against good sides. Having a gun player in the forward line, midfield and backline masks that issue. My 2C.

Exactly my thoughts. Carlton have a few legitimate stars now but the way they play they’re not going to get close to the top 6 because they’ll get slaughtered on the turnover. Reckon their back 6 do a bloody good job considering how much they are left one out on forwards.

Nov 20, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea, Melbourne City, OKC
Carlton seem pretty up and about after beating us considering they lost the inside 50 count, lost clearances, lost contested posession, contested marks, tackles, tackles in 50 and condeded 100 points to a bunch of first year players and other kids. Good on them for winning a game they absolutely had to win considering the expectations they have placed on themselves this season.

1620001973969.png

Your kids lost to our kids, 3 of them were rookies too. Don't let the media cover up the truth for you.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Fair enough - genuine question though who are your young players showing improvement that are showing you potential of becoming good/great AFL players bar Walsh? Your best team is pretty much full of mature players in age already.

We need to go past Murphy Casboult & Betts soon. Curnow is probably another but he was bloody good yesterday and has a role to play.

We have a bunch of them that are finally starting to show something because we now have a proper development system. It has been our issue over the last 3-4 years. It has been pathetic. Having a proper strong Reserves side is already helping dramatically and Luke Power heading Development is working wonders. Younger players are now being played in correct positions and getting game time in a good side week in week out against quality opposition. It makes a massive difference

Stocker Parks Owies showed the benefits at the weekend. SPS back into the middle showed a bit and Dow looked good before getting hurt

Setterfield Williamson Honey O'Brien Ramsay are now putting together a bunch of consistent performances. Kemp Carroll will be back soon and are highly rated. Bonus is they will now get good football to develop before getting their chance. TDK is a special player who we have missed

What is happening is players will now come in in form and be ready. Before they were thrown in and looked like they had no idea. This will continue to get better and better

Le Archie

Team Captain
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
View attachment 1117676

Your kids lost to our kids, 3 of them were rookies too. Don't let the media cover up the truth for you.
why stop at 22? 11 of our players were 23 and under, that's half the team. You can try manipulate the numbers all you want, your team had a lot more experience in age and games yesterday and you absolutely had to win. Well done, you lost every key statistic and don't look like playing finals but you got the win.

Le Archie

Team Captain
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
We need to go past Murphy Casboult & Betts soon. Curnow is probably another but he was bloody good yesterday and has a role to play.

We have a bunch of them that are finally starting to show something because we now have a proper development system. It has been our issue over the last 3-4 years. It has been pathetic. Having a proper strong Reserves side is already helping dramatically and Luke Power heading Development is working wonders. Younger players are now being played in correct positions and getting game time in a good side week in week out against quality opposition. It makes a massive difference

Stocker Parks Owies showed the benefits at the weekend. SPS back into the middle showed a bit and Dow looked good before getting hurt

Setterfield Williamson Honey O'Brien Ramsay are now putting together a bunch of consistent performances. Kemp Carroll will be back soon and are highly rated. Bonus is they will now get good football to develop before getting their chance. TDK is a special player who we have missed

What is happening is players will now come in in form and be ready. Before they were thrown in and looked like they had no idea. This will continue to get better and better
I love the enthusiasm, I have seen a bunch of these guys play you have mentioned and I don't share that optimism but hope is what keeps us all going!

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I love the enthusiasm, I have seen a bunch of these guys play you have mentioned and I don't share that optimism but hope is what keeps us all going!

I see what's going on internally and the change. It's significant. Time will tell but I am very confident we are FINALLY on the right track

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
David King said it best its what Carlton do without the ball that is the problem. After half time they tightened up defensively and only allowed Essendon to kick one coast to coast goal.

Was a very open game yesterday both teams would have been slaughtered against the top sides such was the lack of defensive pressure Carlton did enough in the end and took advantage of a young Essendon side

If Carlton don't tighten up defensively Dogs will smash them

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
David King said it best its what Carlton do without the ball that is the problem. After half time they tightened up defensively and only allowed Essendon to kick one coast to coast goal.

Was a very open game yesterday both teams would have been slaughtered against the top sides such was the lack of defensive pressure Carlton did enough in the end and took advantage of a young Essendon side

If Carlton don't tighten up defensively Dogs will smash them

Couldn't agree more

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
why stop at 22? 11 of our players were 23 and under, that's half the team. You can try manipulate the numbers all you want, your team had a lot more experience in age and games yesterday and you absolutely had to win. Well done, you lost every key statistic and don't look like playing finals but you got the win.

7 out and didn’t get out of second gear.

Would’ve been nice to win some stats like the free kick count or that one extra clearance. Will have to settle for the win.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Don't bother dude we all know that Carlton's only existance is to beat Essendon 😂

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
12th on the ladder with 3 wins. Never seen a supporter group so up and about being at that level.

Kane Cornes said even tho Carlton won and we'll done to them he still rather Essendon long term in winning a premiership

Going to be a few salty tweets coming Cornes way from Carlton fans I reckon LOLs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back