Not open for further replies.
Part 2 of this thread is here:

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I’ll rejoice alright. Always good smacking Essendon. Even better doing it with 8 out.

How many times do you need to be reminded, 16 points is not a smacking. Another reminder that 8 is just a made up number to suit your own agenda. How many are actually entrenched best 18? I’d hazard a guess about half.

Anyways, another litmus test for the Bloos today and another failure. Geez it must get boring doing the same dumb s**t expecting a different result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ForzaRoma

Team Captain
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Carlton remind me of Brisbane in 2018. Will end up with not as many wins as they should have, but could have won a lot more. Wouldn't surprise me if they shot up next year.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I think it will click for Carlton eventually but it will happen over an off season. Richmond were average and turned it around from round 1 2017. Likewise Melbourne from round 1 this season, Brisbane round 1 2019, Collingwood and West Coast 2018. I don't think much can change during the course of a season. They will beat quite a few teams when their draw gets easier, but obviously this season is done.

This is pretty much the consensus opinion from a Carlton POV. If we made the finals we’d be on a similar to something like Essendon 2017 - good enough, but not that good.

We’ve played 4 of the top 5 teams, and been reasonable, but we’re clearly a tier below.

Need to find some more solid citizens, and elevate at least a couple of players from out middle band, but we’re not far off. A fit Cripps and a better coach would be a major lift too.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
How many times do you need to be reminded, 16 points is not a smacking. Another reminder that 8 is just a made up number to suit your own agenda. How many are actually entrenched best 18? I’d hazard a guess about half.

Anyways, another litmus test for the Bloos today and another failure. Geez it must get boring doing the same dumb sh*t expecting a different result.

Call it what you want, Essendon weren’t in the game half way through the second quarter and Carlton coasted to a pretty easy win.

The Bombres were brave though.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Call it what you want, Essendon weren’t in the game half way through the second quarter and Carlton coasted to a pretty easy win.

I’d suggest taking the rose coloured glasses off but you still won’t see it.

A smacking is 6 goals and coasting. We made you fight right till the end. Any reasonably educated viewer would acknowledge that. I mean 2 points at half time, 11 at 3/4 time and a real blow out to -6 points at the final whistle. Geez, what a smacking

We had almost every key stat won (contested, uncontested possessions, marks, contested, uncontested marks, clearances)

It’s ok though. It was a shellacking

NetworkNerd

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
AFL Member so all clubs I guess.
With the expected 18 goal win they will only be one game behind Richmond on the ladder

Would be close to arriving then

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Lel, whatever makes you sleep at night. Many of your cohorts seemed to think greatness was destined for this group of Blues but it’s nothing more than another false dawn.

Happy enough with how our team is travelling this year. As a Blues fan, you must be thrilled with the season thus far? I mean another commendable loss is ok, right?

I’m not thrilled with where the club is at. I’m not thrilled with some of the draft choices that don’t look like they have turned out.

But there is also plenty to play out. You’re sitting here acting like Carlton’s best players are all 30+.

Develop is never linear in the AFL. Still yet to see the best from Cripps, Walsh, McKay, Curnow, Weitering, Fisher etc together. Still time for more free agent acquisitions, more draft choices to come through etc.

Are you inferring that this season for some reason is a do or die year for the club?

I was always expecting Carlton this year to finish in the 8th-12th range. 8th would have had a lot of things going right injury wise.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

A smacking is 6 goals and coasting. We made you fight right till the end. Any reasonably educated viewer would acknowledge that. I mean 2 points at half time, 11 at 3/4 time and a real blow out to -6 points at the final whistle. Geez, what a smacking

We had almost every key stat won (contested, uncontested possessions, marks, contested, uncontested marks, clearances)

That’s exactly the point - you threw everything at us and still lost, and you don’t win games of footy by edging a team in the uncontested possession stats.

Interesting reactions by Bombres supporters though. Reminds me of the short-lived jubilation after beating up on some average teams at the start of last year. (Oh, wait)

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I’m not thrilled with where the club is at. I’m not thrilled with some of the draft choices that don’t look like they have turned out.

But there is also plenty to play out. You’re sitting here acting like Carlton’s best players are all 30+.

Develop is never linear in the AFL. Still yet to see the best from Cripps, Walsh, McKay, Curnow, Weitering, Fisher etc together. Still time for more free agent acquisitions, more draft choices to come through etc.

Are you inferring that this season for some reason is a do or die year for the club?

I was always expecting Carlton this year to finish in the 8th-12th range. 8th would have had a lot of things going right injury wise.

Many of your cohorts were marauding that the natural progression will make you finals bound but instead your stuck I. No mans land with an over reliance on the older group of players.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
That’s exactly the point - you threw everything at us and still lost, and you don’t win games of footy by edging a team in the uncontested possession stats.

Interesting reactions by Bombres supporters though. Reminds me of the short-lived jubilation after beating up on some average teams at the start of last year. (Oh, wait)

We’re a bunch of kids amaho many (iirc yourself included) tipped us to be bottom 2 or 4. You are percentage behind us. I mean, gloat all you want about beating Essendon but it’s not like we’re a powerhouse... yet

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
We’re a bunch of kids amaho many (iirc yourself included) tipped us to be bottom 2 or 4. You are percentage behind us. I mean, gloat all you want about beating Essendon but it’s not like we’re a powerhouse... yet

You had the same number of players with 50 games or less experience than us, so that doesn’t quite fly. The Mighty Bombers still had, and still have enough senior experience to win games of footy.

We beat Essendon what feels like every year these days. It’s less gloating and more ‘glad we got that one on the board’.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
There's no doubt with McGovern, Martin and Fisher (yet alone C. Curnow) they'd be a good attacking side, but would they win many more games?

I like that Teague is trying to take the game on but a backline with Weitering, Jones, Saad, Plowman and Williams shouldn't give up 13.16 in the wet to a Melbourne side that barely tried to move the ball aggressively and with Brown and Weideman unable to catch a cold. Some midfield and forward defensive issues but the back 6 leak scores too.

Overall my opinion on Carlton is they've beaten the bad teams and lost to a number of good teams, so it's not panic stations, but there's more than something a little off with how they play. I don't think Worsfold part time is the solution either, they need to find Teague an experienced assistant with a bit of mongrel in them.

If they aren't in the race to sign Leppitsch they damn well should be.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

We weren't in the game half-way through the second quarter despite leading at half time lmao.
And we weren't in the game despite being only 3 points behind in the last quarter. You went too hard on the kool-aid.

The only reason Carlton won was because you kicked more accurately and were more efficient inside 50.
Both teams are evenly matched. Even our ladder position has us evenly matched, though that's debatable considering we've played 4 interstate games and you guys played only 1.

They're delusional. There's no point arguing with Carlton fans.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
We weren't in the game half-way through the second quarter despite leading at half time lmao.
And we weren't in the game despite being only 3 points behind in the last quarter. You went too hard on the kool-aid.

The only reason Carlton won was because you kicked more accurately and were more efficient inside 50.
Both teams are evenly matched. Even our ladder position has us evenly matched, though that's debatable considering we've played 4 interstate games and you guys played only 1.

Essendon never looked it in it after we pegged a few goals back. The scoreboard flattered the Bombres after a fast start.

There’s only a couple of genuine top tier interstate teams, and we certainly didn’t have trouble against Gold Coast in our away game up at Metricon. The best teams are mostly Victorian: Dees, Dogs, Tigers, Cats, and we’ve played 3/4.

Last edited:

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon never looked it in it after we pegged a few goals back. The scoreboard flattered the Bombres after a fast start.

There’s only a couple of genuine top tier interstate teams, and we certainly didn’t have trouble against Gold Coast in our away game up at Metricon. The best teams are mostly Victorian: Dees, Dogs, Tigers, Cats, and we’ve played 4/5.
I'm not going to argue with a delusional person. The scoreboard and the stats tell the real story.

Brisbane, Port and Sydney are the best 3 interstate sides.
It's a lot more difficult playing Brisbane and Port away than Melbourne, Bulldogs, Richmond or Geelong at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back