When will the media be held accountable for their impact on player mental health?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fraser Gehrig has your back:

“Triple M, to be honest, in their heyday, and I’m not trying to be rude saying this, when you did your 3-2-1 worst players on ground it had an effect on things like depression. And a lot of the guys who were doing those calls have had depression in their lives – and I don’t think it helped."

“Brayshaw, Lyon and these sorts of blokes, at the time I thought ‘go get stuffed’. You know, they’ve had a few beers and they want to come up and try to be heroes and I told them (where to go). So I’ll stand by that."

“I couldn’t care less, to be honest. Again, I don’t want to be rude and turn something into something that it’s not but we’ve seen with depression over the years get bigger and bigger – and we’ve all had it. Probably everyone in this room has had it and those sorts of things (the worst player votes) don’t help. I haven’t listened to Triple M for a long time but I hope you don’t do it (anymore).”

G-Train is in my top 5 favourite players ever but that’s weak as piss from him tbh. Mental health shouldn’t be use as a shield from criticism directed towards grown adults about their performance in their job.

G-Train is in my top 5 favourite players ever but that’s weak as piss from him tbh. Mental health shouldn’t be use as a shield from criticism directed towards grown adults about their performance in their job.

Actions have consequences and poor performance in a public realm are subject to appropriate critique. Fraser has drawn the distinction between appropriate critique and the tasteless mocking of another individual for cheap laughs. When people are appropriately assessing a performance without the malicious, grotesque mockery that occurred during this MMM period, Fraser has accepted. The childish faux outrage and meanness many of todays football media dish out is deplorable. The ex-footballer media types often get players names wrong, stats wrong, and attempt to build a false competitive into games - this unprofessional, disingenuous, selfish, and mean-spirited behaviour should be subject to greater criticism.

No-one is claiming players should be shielded from honest and frank assessment - the belittling of individuals for cheap laughs, cheap ratings, or other shock-journalistic tactics that only benefit the 'journalist' is a stain on the industry, contributes to poor mental health outcomes, and should be stamped out.

Problem is that the media is way too negative. Sure, not everything needs to be positive but at the current time it is way too skewed to negative articles.
Media only create content that people read/click/watch/listen to.

If people didn't read it, they'd stop writing it.

We're as much to blame as they are.

Bon Jovi has been around since '83 mate. Released 334 tracks mate. Some Barry Crocker's bad man.. some mint mate. They've been criticised for their live performances. s**t they've done on the road and that. Their stance on global economic integration and other issues and that man.. people wanting this and that and every other bloody thing from em and that mate.. so why have they survived for so long and still rocking it and that mate? They've kept the faith mate.. they've kept the faith. That's it mate. Forget about it mate.

When the players agree to take 50k a year as salary.

You do realise their large profiles are what enables AFL players to be paid so handsomely?

Australians are suffering with cost of living and you are saying De Goey jetting off to Bali is being used against his mental health?

What? The reason they get paid is because people want to watch them play football, and when you compare the money they earn to the money they generate that actually aren't paid particularly well.

The people deserving of scorn for pulling a paycheck are all of the sycophants and leeches who have spawned an 'industry' out of a game.

They have never gone harder at a man and his family, His daughter was getting door stopped at school ffs, she was 16.

So many don't have limits.
What?????

News Limited and the AFL worked together to lie to the public about Essendon doping. James Hird had the largest media outlet in the world protecting him. Never in the history of sport would you find an instance where an individual has been more protected by the media. Maybe if they hadn't kept up the lies he would have been able to move on and accept what he did.

Bon Jovi has been around since '83 mate. Released 334 tracks mate. Some Barry Crocker's bad man.. some mint mate. They've been criticised for their live performances. s**t they've done on the road and that. Their stance on global economic integration and other issues and that man.. people wanting this and that and every other bloody thing from em and that mate.. so why have they survived for so long and still rocking it and that mate? They've kept the faith mate.. they've kept the faith. That's it mate. Forget about it mate.
Keeping the faith is all about living on a prayer, its slippery when wet out there. In this industry, you play up and the media want you, dead or alive.

What?????

News Limited and the AFL worked together to lie to the public about Essendon doping. James Hird had the largest media outlet in the world protecting him. Never in the history of sport would you find an instance where an individual has been more protected by the media. Maybe if they hadn't kept up the lies he would have been able to move on and accept what he did.

Weird take.

Hird had media camped outside his front door for years. Attacking every iota of his life, including his kids who had nothing at all to do with what he did as a football coach.

Hird made some pretty poor decisions as a football coach, no doubt. He's not a serial killer deserving of having him and his family harassed to the point of attempting suicide.

Weird take.

Hird had media camped outside his front door for years. Attacking every iota of his life, including his kids who had nothing at all to do with what he did as a football coach.

Hird made some pretty poor decisions as a football coach, no doubt. He's not a serial killer deserving of having him and his family harassed to the point of attempting suicide.
I bet if one of his family had of topped themselves, you would also blame the media.

James Hird did what James Hird did, the media pressured him for answers, the public wanted those answers, so the media were doing their job, legally.

James Hird was not doing his job, legally.

I bet if one of his family had of topped themselves, you would also blame the media.

James Hird did what James Hird did, the media pressured him for answers, the public wanted those answers, so the media were doing their job, legally.

James Hird was not doing his job, legally.

Yes, I'd also blame the media in that scenario.

Hird made bad decisions professionally as a football coach. He was sanctioned professionally for those decisions; being suspended from the game, losing his job, and having to live with the reputational damage.

He was also unnecessarily hounded by the media - including hounding his family - because certain sections of the public demanded blood.

They got their blood. He tried to kill himself. Many people are still unsatisfied with that though. They want more blood.

Yes, I'd also blame the media in that scenario.

Hird made bad decisions professionally as a football coach. He was sanctioned professionally for those decisions; being suspended from the game, losing his job, and having to live with the reputational damage.

He was also unnecessarily hounded by the media - including hounding his family - because certain sections of the public demanded blood.

They got their blood. He tried to kill himself. Many people are still unsatisfied with that though. They want more blood.
Maybe if the Essendon Football Club had some balls and sacked him, the media/public may have not cared as much, the media was doing what the public wanted.

James Hird caused all the hurt his family had to put up with, no-one else.
James Hird tried to kill himself, probably from the guilt, no-one else.

Maybe if the Essendon Football Club had some balls and sacked him, the media/public may have not cared as much, the media was doing what the public wanted.

James Hird caused all the hurt his family had to put up with, no-one else.
James Hird tried to kill himself, probably from the guilt, no-one else.

I see you're in this category of person then;

Many people are still unsatisfied with that though. They want more blood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you now want to change the subject to me do you?

Are you trying to hound me till I do something stupid?

You've made your views pretty clear.

You're comfortable with the media hounding people and their families to the point of suicide, then will blame the person attempting suicide for attempting it.

Good to know where you stand on mental health and the conduct of the media.

You've made your views pretty clear.

You're comfortable with the media hounding people and their families to the point of suicide, then will blame the person attempting suicide for attempting it.

Good to know where you stand on mental health and the conduct of the media.
You said I am still after blood, you can't even make statements that make sense.

If I was still after blood, wouldn't I need to talk about the present and not past.

You said I am still after blood, you can't even make statements that make sense.

If I was still after blood, wouldn't I need to talk about the present and not past.

You're still unwilling to accept the media played a role, and want to blame Hird entirely every time someone says the media went too far. Yeah, I'd say it's clear you're not satisfied.

Weird take.

Hird and his team were having regular meetings with senior members of the Murdoch media to brief them on what he wanted the media to say. We know this because Hird's legal team was billing for their time during these meetings and this was only disclosed as part of his legal claim. Robo (and all of Fox sports and News Limited, Tim Watson (and pretty much all of SEN), Chip Le Grand and many others were all actively campaigning for Hird to get off scot-free.

Have you ever heard of this happening before for someone that is guilty?

I'm sure Hird was at breaking point and I do feel empathy for that - His career and image was in tatters, but to say Hird was harrassed to the point of suicide by the media when he was instructing them is just absolute crap.

You're still unwilling to accept the media played a role, and want to blame Hird entirely every time someone says the media went too far. Yeah, I'd say it's clear you're not satisfied.
Oh the media played a roll, so did the public, so did the Essendon Football Club, but James Hird played the biggest role.

I am very confident if James Hird was sacked by the Essendon Football Club early on, we wouldn't be here talking about this.

But the way you want to change the subject to me, just because of an opinion, tells me you would probably do exactly what the media did to James.

I'm sure Hird was at breaking point and I do feel empathy for that - His career and image was in tatters, but to say Hird was harrassed to the point of suicide by the media when he was instructing them is just absolute crap.

Yes, he was definitely instructing them to setup on his front lawn day after day and doorstop him and his family.

As I said; weird take.

Oh the media played a roll, so did the public, so did the Essendon Football Club, but James Hird played the biggest role.

I am very confident if James Hird was sacked by the Essendon Football Club early on, we wouldn't be here talking about this.

But the way you want to change the subject to me, just because of an opinion, tells me you would probably do exactly what the media did to James.

Nice attempt to obfuscate.

You've made it clear what you think. The media did nothing wrong, it's all on Hird. Play on says LoungeLizard.

The thread is about media being held accountable for their impact on mental health. You think their impact on Hird was all good. I think your view is pretty shitty. Here we are.

Nice attempt to obfuscate.

You've made it clear what you think. The media did nothing wrong, it's all on Hird. Play on says LoungeLizard.

The thread is about media being held accountable for their impact on mental health. You think their impact on Hird was all good. I think your view is pretty shitty. Here we are.
Of course you do, you think the same with any view that disagrees with you on any topic.

I didn't say the media did NOTHING wrong, I said they were doing their jobs and they were doing their jobs legally.

Why don't we blame the lady down the street who may have said in the supermarket in hearing distance of James, "there goes that Essendon cheat"

I cant wrap my head around these threads having pity on the poor players who have it so tough. It's like OP is secretly hoping an AFL player is lurking here and will message him "thanks for the support bro really appreciate it wanna come hang out saturday night with the boys??"

Trust me JHF is doing great, he's young and rich and staying fit and playing sport for a living. In todays tough times you can find someone more worthy of your concern try the homeless

The reason Degoey is being blasted is because he got out of Australia when most of the country was doing lockdown and he was supposed to be training hard with energy drink sponsorship and he just sexually assaulted women instead.

Instead of repaying Pie's faith and training hard on his second, third, fourth, fifth chance he's off to Bali to do more partying and we know what happens when DeGoey gets on the drinks don't we.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back